Thursday, March 07, 2013

When a Granddaughter is Born




These are the notes I took on my phone when Josie was born.




Katie said she felt stunned when Josie opened her eyes. What a moment--the first time you look into your child's eyes! And I have to say, Josie does have some gorgeous eyes. (Did you think I could just leave that moment be without a grandma comment?)


Katie's first words after Josie was born were, "I can't believe this just happened!"

The way I knew that Josie had finally come was that Shad sent this pic to our phones as we were in the waiting area. I said, "She's here!" and jumped up. So this photo of Katie holding Josie is my first look at my granddaughter.

Right after Josie was born, Katie told Shad to feel how soft Josie was.

Shad didn't get to hold her right away because the hospital facilitates a "golden hour" wherein mom and baby snuggle and nurse. He came out and said because he hadn't held her yet, he felt like he was "dying a little."


Katie remarked several times about how Josie puts her hands on/near her own face all of the time. She continued to do that at home.

While they were in the hospital, and just Shad and Katie were in the room, Shad danced with Josie to, "Why Don't We Just Dance?" by Josh Turner.

In the hospital, while Shad was holding Josie, I said, "She's going to be your whole world for a while," referring to their getting acquainted with Josie and all of the transitions that would lie ahead, and he looked down at her and said, "She IS my whole world now."

And here is my first-born, holding her first-born. 
O happy day, January 23, 2013.


7 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Love. This.

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I don't even know you all and I am totally tearing up. Those first moments are just incredible. Nothing like it. :) Thanks for sharing.

Ginger Wade said...

Beautiful moments you will all cherish forever! So glad you captured and shared them here. Josie is just precious!

Chris said...

Oh Lid!!!

You made me cry! How beautiful she is, and how blessed you all are to have her.

Country Girl said...

I just love your post! And I love that song they danced to! How perfect! We have a little grandson. We love it when he and his mommy and dad come to visit us, as they live far away. He is my 2nd son's first son, and our first grandson. Enishi. And yes- it was love at first sight!

Susanne said...

Congratulations. I'm so happy for you all! Love the picture of Dad and Josie and his sweet comments.

rwl10802 said...

This is a wonderful, treasure of a post for Katie and Shad and Josie. thank you for sharing it with us.