Wednesday, June 05, 2013

National Running Day 2013

Well, I stated it awkwardly and then there was no editing allowed, no turning back ....

But that's the difference between running and a lot of things for me. I don't have to worry about running. I just get out there and do it. I COULD choose to worry--about time, pace, form, discipline, etc., but mostly I just choose to move, preferably soaking up sunshine. I may joke about my slow and stiff form, but actually, no one has to translate what I'm doing when I'm out there. It's very simple; I'm just running.

I see a lot of pictures and badges with relevant, inspiring quotations on them, and I even save some, but none says it all, what it really means to me. It's hard to put into words what inspires us and elicits passion. The painter, the musician, the dancer, the writer, the athlete--If you're a professional, you do it for money and maybe the love of it. If you're an amateur, you may do it for love and the challenge. If you sort of ka-lump along in an echelon beneath even the amateur, it's hard to say why you love it. In fact, for the ka-lumpers, it seems like there are more reasons NOT to love it. But there is something in those of us who love it, even those of us who plod along, that draws us to it like the proverbial moth to the flame, like rubber to the road.

All I know is, it is a gift that I do not take for granted. It's a gift that demands something from you, like a great teacher demands something from a pupil. You never know from day to day what the lesson will be. Sometimes the teacher is sly and clever, sometimes stern, sometimes playful. Sometimes this Teacher exercises the brain, sometimes brawn. A good teacher is there consistently, and at the beginning of each day, requests some kind of growth from you. The pupil gets out of it what he puts into it. There are days when the pupil resents the teacher, but as he looks back on his growth, he appreciates so much the lessons offered. He may never be surpass or conquer the teacher, but he is a better person for the experience, physically, emotionally, spiritually. And that's why I'm celebrating National Running Day. Lace 'em up!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I run for so many reasons.

Health - emotional and physical

Communion - with God

And more...

LynnMarie said...

Run on Girl, don't hold back and run on!!

Christina said...

Just found your blog!!
Now following!
I am looking forward to keeping up with your blog and getting to know you through your posts :)

I also have a blog design page. If you ever need a custom blog design, check it out :) ChristinaLoraneDesigns.blogspot.com

xo
Christina
pieceitalltogetherx3.blogspot.com