Monday, December 11, 2006

Meet the McGhees

So my son has been in radio and TV class his junior and senior year. Sometimes he is asked to call the play-by-play for a Friday night Eagle game. Fun stuff.

Last week, his dad and I tuned in from home to hear our pride and joy wind up his last few minutes on the air. It was immediately apparent that he was running out of steam and therefore running out of quippy sports commentator-type things to say. We glanced nervously at each other like parents do when they know their kid is just about to do or say something, but they’re not sure what, and there’s just a smidgeon of anxiety in the air . . . when a bit of rough-housing took place on the court, to which our son enthusiastically exclaimed, “Whoa! Look at that! It’s ‘Angry Pants McGhee!!!'”

Sometimes, what you practice in private comes out in public.

Our two teenagers have a couple of favorite phrases to employ when they are being goofy together: “[Fill in the Blank] Pants McGhee,” and the ever-popular, “Booger,” which is often paired with "McGhee" and in that form is usually reserved for our little dog, Zoe, the 4 lb. Yorkshire Terror. Anyway, they constantly call each other, “Lazy Pants McGhee,” or “Pizza Pants McGhee,” etc. You can see how versatile these phrases are, allowing for some ingenius combinations created by obviously ingenious children. So that's how our boy came to call someone “Angry Pants McGhee” on his high school radio station. It was a long drive to school the next morning.

Moral: Be careful of what you habitually say in private, and never allow your kid to use your last name on the radio, as you might be connected with him in the future when someone refers to the "Angry Pants McGhee Rant of '06," a la Howard Dean and his big whoop. I bet Howard Dean's parents changed their names.

The next day, our college daughter emailed this to me:

When I saw this, I thought of J [her brother] : This is just one suggestion of "50 Fun Things for Professors to do on the First Day of Class"

33. Bring a small dog to class. Tell the class he's named "Boogers McGee" and is your "mascot". Whenever someone asks a question, walk over to the dog and ask it, "What'll be, McGee?"
i cracked up.

So did I! And now here is a bonus picture of:


PS: I'm still waiting on my new design. I am trying not to succumb to "design envy" of other blogs, but a gal can only take so much waiting before she becomes "Cranky Pants McGhee."

5 comments:

Big Mama said...

Today I have been cranky pants McGhee, but after reading this post I am laughing pants McGhee. Funny runs in your family.

Susanne said...

Hee! That's funny! Booger Pants McGhee is too cute! You'll be so happy when you get your design. I can hardly wait to see it too! Is it going to be lavender?

Linda said...

Susanne, well, yes, I asked for lavender and brown, for the coffee, with a cute coffee mug and swirling steam above it, but I can hardly remember now. She is backed up but very nice about it. Maybe instead of for the holidays I'll have a new design for the new year.

The Human Napkin said...

I can hardly wait for:

1) the day my kids call someone Stinky McStinkerton, the name I called them when they had a stinky diaper, and

2) the day one of my kids toots in public and says "Whoa, did you hear that barking spider?"

Carol said...

So here in Texas we have what? Bubba McGhee? Redneck McGhee? Roper McGhee? Seems like I've heard Maniac McGhee somewhere before. This is funny.

That dog is way too cute.