Thursday, January 25, 2007

What Would You Do?

A close friend stopped by our house tonight, chatting about usual stuff, when he silently pulled a small rectangular paper out of his jacket and laid it on the table. It was a Super Bowl ticket.

I said, "No you did-un't!"
He said, "Well, kind of."

Here's the story: He is a Colts season ticket holder, a loyal fan since the Colts came to Indy, what, 20 years ago? No average, fairweather fan, but a fan highlighted in our local newspaper for not having missed a Colts game in years. Apparently, there are about 45,000 season ticket holders, and 800 of those are chosen by lottery to receive Super Bowl tickets. He went to Indy to pick up two yesterday. He paid $600.00 for each ticket.

Immediately upon returning home, he received a very lucrative offer for those tickets.

Can you feel his dilemma?--A lifelong NFL fan, a little boy who played NFL games on one of those electronic football games that vibrated to move the tiny players like whirling dervishes in bizarre patterns and mostly knocked them over but who cared because it was football, a Colts devotee who always believed in and supported them when others trashed and deserted them, and now, in a dream-come-true moment, he is headed to balmly Miami on February 4th, to see the Colts trample the Bears. He has the tickets in hand. In. His. Hand.

What would you do? Would the size of the offer matter to you? Have you figured the cost of doubled and tripled air fare, hotels, food, etc? Would the threat of terrorism even enter your mind? Would the level of desperation of the buyer move you? Would you hold the tickets until next week, hoping to get even more money?

Well? What would you do?

He sold the tickets. Guess how much profit he made. $4800.00. He says that if he had held them until next week, he probably would have made $6000.00.

Disappointed? Yes. Sad? Yes. And yet he felt the combined cost of all the variables mentioned above would make this 3 1/2 hour extravaganza simply too expensive. He yielded to common sense, although it was not exactly a happy choice, as reasonable choices are often wont to be.

He copied and laminated the tickets, which is what he brought with him to show us. It was a weird moment as we stared down at those pieces of paper, worth so much money and maybe the chance of a lifetime. I wonder what he'll be thinking when he watches the game on TV. I hope he feels like he made the right decision. What do you think?

8 comments:

Linda said...

Roxanne-I cannot reply to any of your comments! I don't know what's wrong. Am I doing something wrong?

Melanie said...

Totally would have sold them. But I'm not a big fan. I am, however a mom who could put that money in the bank or use it for my kid someway.

And get my hair done.

Susan said...

Oh my goodness...I don't know WHAT I would do!!!! It would be a dilemma for sure. I have a friend who went to the big game a few years ago when it was in Jacksonville. I guess I think that common sense would take over with me, too. I'd probably sell. I am just as happy to watch it on my large TV at home with friends.

Go Colts!!

:-) Susan

Roxanne said...

I don't think so. . .I got your posts on my blog--not sure what the deal is. Is it because I am logging in under my wordpress account? I will try doing this one with my Blogger account even though I'm not posting there.

As far as your friend. . .bless his heart.

Susanne said...

Oh my goodness! What a tough decision! I feel for him, I tell ya! I don't know what I would do if it ever came down to that. I would have to have the total support of my spouse if it came down to spending that kind of money for that small amount of time. If I didn't have that I'd have very sadly sold it. But boy, that would be tempting.

Mommy!! said...

$4800?!? Heck, yeah, I'd sell those tickets in a heartbeat! That's $4200 profit! I don't even want to think of how many hours my husband would have to work for $4200. Like, two months maybe.

samurai said...

Wow... as a football fan... i'd have done the exact same thing...

How cool was that though.

Have blessed weekend...

Big Mama said...

It's a huge dilemma. Personally, I couldn't care less about going to the Super Bowl, but if were the Aggies in a National Championship game, I couldn't put a price on it. I think I would have to go rather than sell the tickets.

On the other hand, I'm thinking $4800 could buy a lot of shoes.