Sunday, July 29, 2007

Asparagus Pee

Sorry to be so indelicate in the morning, but there's no better way to say it. Have you heard of it? I hadn't until last night.

As part of a meal I provided for our Sunday night cell group (life group, small group, whatever your pleasure) of about 7 families, I made a large salad containing blanched asparagus. As the women were sitting around the table (guys opted for the deck out back) one friend, a nurse, posed the Q, "Have you ever heard of asparagus pee?"

Uh, No. Perhaps there's something about Junior A. that we don't know--and don't WANT to know ....

Apparently, there is a chemical compound in asparagus that triggers a sulphur-like smell in urine within minutes to an hour after eating. It's the same sulphur as in rotten eggs and skunk "parfum." Mmmmm.

Here's another interesting factoid: Not everyone can smell the odious excretion. Those who can smell it have DNA that has a specific gene which acts as a sort of "stink bomb" receptor.

Perhaps you are one of those blessed with just such an amazingly sharp DNA code. In my case, the DNA appears to be "dull," a complete blessing of omission, and that affords me yet another entry into the ol' gratitude journal: "Unable to smell asparagus pee."

11 comments:

mandy said...

LOL! i did hear somewhere that asparagus turns your pee green... but maybe that's an urban legend!
so... if i can smell skunks & eggs, then does that mean i can smell asparagus pee? i don't really eat asparagus -- but this sounds like a GREAT reason to try! he he!

Roxanne said...

Just a varitable cornucopia of information are you. . .a buffet of knowledge. So glad there was no disparaging news about Junior. I like him.

Linda said...

Apparently, there is also a popcorn smell related to something else, and espresso smell. Yuck.

samurai said...

8| -- That's all I can think of to say. LOL

Suzanne said...

I confess... I know about and have experienced asparagus pee. It is gross.

Jen said...

LOL just what a wanted to know 1st thing in the morning LOL

thanks ever so much ;)

Shelly said...

LOL...I don't know what to say, but that I, unfortunately, don't think I have the DNA omission gift here :)

Susan said...

I have heard this before. Of course, you put a whole new spin on it.

:-) Susan

Suzio said...

LOL, I love asparagus and it does make urine turn dark yellow and smell. I thought everyone knew that!

Melanie said...

Now I will have to "check" after consuming asparagus. All this time I've only been worried about those poppy seed muffins. :>)

Amanda said...

It doesn't have a sulfur-ous smell. It smells like, well, asparagus and urine. Enjoy! Sorry to burst your bubble. It happens to everyone, unless your pee smells like roses, of course.