Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Internet Cafe Day


In three weeks, our household is going to change drastically.

Instead of maintaining four vehicles, we will dwindle to two, allowing me to pull into the garage without weaving through our private summer obstacle course called, “The driveway.”

Our grocery bill will plummet like the first drop of a roller coaster. The telephone will ring less. Toilet paper will no longer be on the endangered species list. Best of all, my little dog, a walking aggregation of nerves, will no longer be launched into outer space when our kids’ friends ring the doorbell. (Her rockets fire before “ding” becomes “dong.”)

The reason for these changes? Two of our three kids are leaving for college--my son, Jordan, for the first time.


Please visit Internet Cafe to read the rest of my article!

12 comments:

Tammy said...

I just went over to read your beautiful article. Reading about you finding the drawing your son made nearly had me in tears...

As I recently wrote my own thoughts about "letting go" a little at a time, I realize how hard it will be when I am at stage of letting go almost completely. (I say almost...they still very much need you right now. And do we ever let go- even when they're going on 45? I know my own mom is still there for me!)

It is so true...it is with God's strength that we are able to relax our hold and trust our children to Him as they spread their wings. But there's not getting around that huge lump in our throats as we watch them do it!
(((HUGS)))

Linda said...

Tammy, you nailed my emotion exactly. I wouldn't want them dependent on me forever, but every step toward leaving permanently is bittersweet.

Amber said...

I've never been there, but I'll haed on over and I'll tell 'em Linda sent me;)

God Bless,
Amber

PS~ Be happy you are not juggling 1, O-N-E bathroom.

samurai said...

I will pray for your upcoming transition.

I will also be "staying tuned" to read about it. :)

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

It was one of the best posts I have read in a long time! And so timely!!

Heth said...

Lovely post Linda.

Susanne said...

Beautiful, beautiful post Linda. You captured the feelings so eloquently. I have one more year to go before I truly experience those feelings in full but I got a small taste of it this summer.

Lynn said...

Linda,

I loved this post. This is the one you should submit. :)

Jen said...

wishing him all the best
and a big hug for you

Connie Barris said...

sigh.........sniff...

How beautiful...

Sending a prayer of comfort your way...

Love,
Connie

Kim said...

Awe....I can relate. Our oldest daughter will be leaving for 6 months for YWAM.

And....I heard you are a YORKIE lover...woo...hoo!!!!

Check out my blog....she's front and center.

www.seasonsofmyheart.blogspot.com

msdebbiea said...

Linda, thank you for once again sharing such words of wisdom. I too am facing this reality and am so thankful to know Him as the anchor in my life. Your words speak so much truth--bless you for being such an inspiration to others!
I'll be thinking of you~~~