Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Halloween at Internet Cafe?

Halloween. I’ve never been a big fan of the dark, or of the dark side. For instance, while other kids in my neighborhood hurried home from school in 1967 and gathered together to watch the Gothic TV serial “Dark Shadows,” I occupied myself elsewhere. Even so, I heard and saw enough to know what the show was all about: badness, really scary badness, with a capital “B.”

Once, when I was about five years old, I tried to get a message to the show’s main vampire, Barnabas Collins, through writing to another famous person, teen idol Bobby Sherman, who had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the show. I guess in my childish head, they both lived somewhere in "Famous People World," so surely they hung out together at Famous People barbecues or something.

Anyway, I asked Bobby to please tell Barnabas that I did not like him. As fearful as I was of Barnabas, I could be strong through the perceived protection of Bobby-of-the-pink-pants. Yes, I was an offbeat child.

Please join me at the cafe for the rest of this riveting Halloween tale. My new fear is they will never let me write there again.

5 comments:

Susanne said...

Oh dear, I just did the coffee through the nose thing trying to avoid spewing coffee out of my mouth all over my computer. That in itself is scary.

LOL! "Famous People World". Seeing you have an in with "Bobby of the pink pants, can you please write to him in Famous People world and ask him to ask Donny of the big teeth what he does to get them so white? LOL.

Linda said...

I know. I was nuts.

The Preacher's Wife said...

Not trying to disappoint you, but I don't think Bobby and his pink pants could do much protecting for anyone...I think he'd be hiding behind you instead..:))

Vicki said...

This sure brought back some memories:-) Wanted to let you know that you're one of the winners for a John Piper book. Congrats!

Blessings,
Vicki

Susan said...

Great post Linda...and yes, I went over for the "rest of the story". I have to laugh because when I saw Bobby Sherman, I immediately started singing: "Julie, Julie, Julie, Do Ya' Love Me?"

Hugs to you!!

:-) Susan