Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Two Weeks

Two weeks is about as long as I can go without laying eyes on my college kids. I know that I could survive longer than that, I mean, think of college students living out of state, or children in the armed forces, or children living away long term due to divorce settlements. So I'm not really whining; I'm just sharing that two weeks is when my mother-love heartache starts.

So I enjoyed my oldest college kid being home for Sunday dinner this week. She has a dry sense of humor, a flair for drama, and a healthy dose of sassy in her. I love her personality. The thing about our family is, for all the stuff that is not so enjoyable, we do crack each other up regularly, which appears to be a priority to us. You know, "The family that laughs together stays together." Or "Live together, die alone." OK, that's not really one of our family mottos, but you know, I'm into LOST and everything.

So #1 regales us with college life stories in her own unique way. Sunday she told us about her English prof who is also the sponsor of the English Honor Society.

In order to raise funds for their group, he announced, "I want you to have a bake sale."

"A bake sale!" she says to us. She was thinking, "Why don't we just have a sock hop, quilting bee or USO show?"

She said, "So we all said, 'Can't we just all donate like $5?' And he said, 'No. I want you to bond.'" [imitating his southern accent.]

She went on, "So we said, 'Well, can we come to your house and bake, 'cause we don't really have ovens in our rooms.' And he said, 'No.'"

So they're pretty much up the creek without the ol' Greek paddle. "You must bake; you must bond, you must raise money, but most of all, you must leave me alone."

So we all chuckled at that. And she says in the middle of the story as an aside, "By the way, the name of our honor society? It's Sigma Tau Delta."

She waited a beat for it to sink in with us. "Yeaah. The STD's."

19 comments:

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

She is so pretty. And she has on some nice TJs as well. Her momma raised her right.

Susan said...

Oh my goodness...that's so funny! What is he thinking--a bake sale from people that live in dorms???? Strange.

Yeah, I'm going to be in the military and out of state college attendance boat in a few months. I'm sure you all will have a lot of consoling to do out there in blogville!

:-) Susan

Linda said...

Linda, Its great to hear you got such a good relationship with your daughter, lovely!
BTW, the contest is over at RS Design and not Mamas Coffee Corner where you left the comment :) Just thought I'd let you know. :)

T said...

2 words I have to say about your college daughter: Cute. Shoes.

Susanne said...

A bake sale with no ovens. Hmmm, that would be interesting.

"STD's" that is too funny. She is gorgeous. You are so blessed that you can see her that often. I'm already choking knowing that that option won't be available for me come fall. I'm gonna be a wreck.

annie's eyes said...

My senior (Univ of Texas) daughter's sorority is requesting a letter to celebrate our daughter and to send 3 pics of her. I have so much in my heart and words are so small!

On another note, did you see this, Linda? Might help in your decision about "She Speaks"
Go hug on your sweet girl.
Blessings, annie

http://lysaterkeurst.blogspot.com/2008/01/win-scholarship-to-she-speaks-2008.html

marina said...

You daughter is so pretty!!
Girl you Suprise me yesterday!!!
did you get my email.love,marina

Kelly @ Love Well said...

Classic.

Ann said...

Okay, there's no-bake Jello cheesecakes (that will work if they have fridges in their rooms) and all kinds of no-bake cookie recipes. Or...maybe they could all come to your house to do some baking! That would be fun :)
What's a USO show?

The Preacher's Wife said...

The STD's...I'm sure they are totally putting THAT on a shirt. ha!

I think it'd be awesome for daughter to bring all her friends to my house for a weekend of baking. I'll sacrifice myself and be the taste-tester. :)

And I agree with everyone else, she's beautiful - just like her cool mom!

Lisa

Alana said...

So did you offer up your kitchen?

Glad you got to see your girl. I can't fathom what life will be like when my children are in college. It is fun to read about, though.

Darlene R. said...

Your daughter is so pretty! She's grown up a little since that pouty picture you took.

A bake sale...that cracks me up!
And bless their hearts, they have to be the STD's!

Kim said...

Linda, I COMPLETELY understand the mother-love heartache. My firstborn started her freshman year in the fall, and if I don't see her at least once a month, I go bonkers! (or at least everyone around me thinks so because of the trail of tears following behind me. Ha!) (We're in New Castle, she's at Bethel College in Mishawaka) Imagine my THRILL when I talked to her today and she'll be coming home not ONCE in the next month, but TWICE!!! YIPPEE! (of course the second time will be prefacing her trip to Hawaii during spring break, so undoubtedly she's coming home to make sure she has spending money and all laundry done, but we'll take it!)

Oh, and one other thing...my daughter's dorm is amazing! It has a lounge with a full kitchen in it, for anyone's use! How's that for cool! I keep expecting a care package to come home to ME with her amazing choc. chip cookies, but she's yet to follow through on that. :)

Debbie said...

So where exactly does he expect them to do this baking and bonding? The STD's thing is hillarious!

Julie said...

I hear you... I wish I could hug my daughter's neck....it's been almost 2 weeks now since she left.
I talked to her today. She's sick...and she needs stuff and she's across the ocean!!! By the time I get it to her she'll be well.

Your daughter is SO cute!

And I wonder where she gets the wit????

I mean I've only known you for what, like a week or the most two? I see the resemblance!

Thanks for visiting my blog today. You blessed me.
Julie

PJ said...

The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree!! Her humor sounds amazingly familiar!

STD!!!

Fran said...

My favorite part...a healthy amount of sassy. That just made me smile. Good for her! :)

Thanks Linda for always making me smile. I can't imagine going 2 weeks without laying eyes on my children. My heart might be the first to literally break in half.

You are one good momma!
Hugs~

A Stone Gatherer said...

Oh the name of the honor society is funny! I'm sure their proud of that! I once worked on a computer program from a company called PMS! It fit!

Praise and Coffee said...

Oh that is so cute! I'm glad you got to hug her neck this weekend.

Sue