Monday, January 28, 2008

Just Another Manic Monday

In the words of some of the deepest, most influential female philosophers of the late 20th century, "It's just another Manic Monday (whoa) I wish it were Sunday, (whoa) 'cause that's my fun day (whoa) my I don't have to run-day; it's just another manic Monday." --The Bangles (circa 1986)

Yesterday we went to church, ate dinner, and watched a bunch of season 2 of LOST. I cannot sit through movies and TV shoes without also doing something productive, so I also folded laundry and did crunches on the floor while we watched. Then we went to life group and came home. And now it is Monday again. Hope you're having a good one. Tonight is my monthly meeting of Women of Influence, and this month's book is Joyce Meyer's "Look Great Feel Great." Or is it "Feel Great Look Great." Or is it, "Wear Sequins, Lose Weight?"

Philosophical question: Who is more philosophic, Joyce Meyer, or The Bangles?

So you know how I hate to cook. Well, I want to share a recipe, maybe for the first time ever on my blog; I'm not sure. It is a rare event though, because why spread ineptitude on a regular basis? Forwarding one of my recipes could technically be considered spreading a computer virus.

Oh well.

This is called "Fiery Chicken Spinach Salad" or "The Meal That Didn't Stink."

Ingredients:

6 pieces of chicken breast strips. I used the breaded frozen kind. You could use grilled or whatever.
1 pkg. fresh spinach
1 tomato in wedges
1/2 c. chopped green pepper
1 can black beans rinsed and drained
1 bag or can of corn with the red things in them that they used to put in Banquet TV dinners (Mexican corn?)
some shredded cheese
bacon crumbles

Cook the chicken.
Put spinach on plate.
Top spinach with tomato, green pepper, and corn.
Place chicken on top of veggies.

Add dressing:

Dressing: I just like salsa. But you could use anything you like. You could also mix some barbecue sauce, ranch dressing and salsa for a grand slam of dressing. Then top with bacon crumbles.

Behold the meal I didn't ruin:

PS: I want you to know that when I made this meal, I opened my cabinet to get down the glass bowl, and something small fell out and hit me on the cheek just below the eye and fell onto the counter.

It was a spider.

OHMYGOSH. You should have seen me jumping around and yelling and being grossed out. You would think that spiders have cooties. I smashed it with a piece of raw bacon. I was just so entirely grossed out that I had to wash all of my dishes in that cabinet, and sanitize my counter, as well. I do feel sorta sorry for him, though, because being smashed by a giant piece of raw bacon is just one of the ugliest ways to go.

What Joyce Meyer would say to the smashed spider: "Stop walking around with your head hanging low just because somebody mistreated you. Get up. Tell yourself that not matter how the world beats you down, you can be victorious because you are God's creation! Amen?!"

What The Bangles would say to the smashed spider: "Walk like an Egyptian."

Uh-Oh. You know you want to hear that song now!

19 comments:

Darlene R. said...

Oh, that song took me back to the skating rink days! We could really move to that one!

If you want to see some serious Monday morning pictures, head over to my blog. My five year old is as hard to wake up as a teenager! Poor little guy, Kindergarten is so tough!

Cyndy said...

Their hair! Did you see their hair? It was so...BIG! And the spandex! Really, I don't remember that much spandex and big hair in the 80's...I must have selective memory loss or something...I certainly never had big hair or wore spandex!

Susanne said...

It's your second recipe, darlin'. The first was a crockpot chicken one. Good friends remember such accomplishments.

This one looks good. See? You just have to find what works for you in the cooking department.

And as far as the spider goes, it is a cootie, worthy of a raw bacon smack. How dare it drop out of nowhere like that?

Alana said...

LOVE Manic Monday. HATE spiders. And only wish I could not watch TV without doing something productive. It's the other way around for me ;-)

Fresh Girl said...

Oh, the memories that song brings back! My best friend in high school and I would watch that video almost every weekday morning while we were getting ready for school...MTV played it the same time or thereabouts, and she would call me or I'd call her and we'd sing along over the phone. *sigh* I miss the eighties. ;)

Kati said...

That salad looks awesome! It's now tucked in my Recipe folder with your name on it :)

samurai said...

Whoa... when I read those lyrics the song started playing in my head! LOL

My tail is dragging in the dirt this Monday...

Thank you for the memories, and the recipe...

i_am_4given said...

Thanks for adding the video!! Oh, it brought back memories, how I spent half my paycheck on gel, hairspray, mouse, and TEASING!!!

Thanks!!!

Julie said...

You are so much fun!

I love the way you write and bring the fun of life into the day, even using, a spider dropping on your head!

I am so glad I have found your blog. Every day I get an email that tells me you have posted and everyday I get a smile on my face as I read.

Bless you on this day,
Julie

Ann said...

Alright. I was all excited about the recipe because it looks absolutely awesome and like something I could make. When you said something fell out and hit you in the EYE??? I thought it would be a little bottle of ibuprofen or something like that. A spider! Oh you have no idea how I would freak out. I remember you warned me, but I didn't see it coming. I'm amazed that you were able to squish it! I can't get close enough to squish them, I'm afraid it'd see me coming and jump at me to defend itself. I must say, that is hilarious that you used bacon, and I love the speculation of what Joyce Meyers would say!!!

Even though a spider was involved, this was still a great post!

Lelia Chealey said...

"I also folded laundry and did crunches on the floor while we watched."
NOW that is multi-tasking!! Crunches...haven't done those in about 5 years, but starting this week!! :)
So funny about the spider! I also can't wait to try this recipe~it looks so pretty!
I have something for you on my blog at the bottom of the "Nothing but the truth" post.
Blessings & Hugs~
Lelia

Shelly said...

You are too much!
My sister and I always used to do the 'Walk like an Egyptian' dance...and I should confess - I'm not even scared to bring it back again (well, at least in my own little world.)

Crunches while watching tv...you deserve a cookie for that! lol

DidiLyn said...

Oh, you are so funny. And of course you liked my blog; it has a coffee design! I see I am going to have to add you to my need-to-reads.
The design for my blog came from Lindsay at Splat Designs. Her link is on the right side bar at my blog,all the way down.
Thanks for visiting!
Diane

Sarah said...

Love that song! And the salad looks amazing. I'll have to try that one.

Kelly said...

I about fell off the couch laughing about the spider. My best friend and I were out of town one weekend and I discovered this little bitty spider on the wall. So, I climbed on a chair and tried, unsuccesfully, to kill the little sucker - only to have him fall somewhere on the floor! We never did find him - and yes, I made my BFF sleep on the side of the bed closest to where that little bugger fell! LOL

Recipe sounds great - may have to try that one out!

PJ said...

the 80's! Cyndy had better check old photos. It's selective memory. Her hair was probably just like this! I think I missed the 80's completely! My boys turned 16 in '87 & '89. The 80's are a blur of boys soccer games, youth group trips, me in college, more boys soccer games, feeding tribes of young that always collected in my family room, did I mention soccer games?

Me: Turn off that noise.
them: It's not noise it's the Bangles.
me: Right! Turn off that bangley noise!

But right now??? I laughed. It was kind of cute. Me? I was a teenager in the '60's!!! Elvis: "night Rider" "Puppet On a string", "Cryin' in the Chapel" "Your Cheatin' Heart" ......!!!!!

And my Dad was yelling, "If that guy would hold still, he could sing!"

And my Granddaughters ADORE "High School Musical" LOL

Seized by Hope said...

I must say that I love that you quoted the Bangles....awesome. Really.

That song is pure truth....just another manic monday....

thanks!

T said...

oh my gosh. I think that is the funniest blog entry I have read ever. seriously. crack. me. up.
I played the entire video.

Heth said...

You didn't really wash all of the dishes in the cabinet did you? WAY too much time on your hands. Want to borrow some of my kids?