Saturday, January 26, 2008

6 Quirky Things and Some Award Love

Julie at Jewelz Sightings tagged me this week. Julie and I just met, but we are hitting it off famously.

Confession: I am terrible at memes. The first one I ever did, I re-tagged the person who tagged me. I was so embarrassed. And I'm always afraid to tag people because I don't want to burden anyone. So, with that said, the rules for this meme are: (1) Link to the person that tagged you. (2) Post the rules on your blog. (3) Share six non-important things/habits/quirks about yourself. (4) Tag six random people at the end of your post by linking to their blogs. (5) Let each random person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their website.

1. On my nightstand, I keep a paint stir stick. Why? Because it's the best back scratcher I've ever found, and my back continually itches, even at night. The night before last, I woke up three times to sit up and scratch my back. It's always the same spot, and no, there is no sign of anything different going on there. It must be a nerve. So I have the lovely wooden stick there at all times. I'm always a little afraid I'll die and people will be milling around my bedroom getting funeral preparations together and see that bedside stick and wonder "What in the world? ...." One good thing, though, is if I lose it, I know where I can always get a free replacement: in the paint section at any store. Proof that I'm not high maintenance in all things.

2. Sometimes when I'm clothes shopping, I'll see a piece and think, "Wow, that is really ugly. Hideous." And then I walk away, but I can't get it out of my head. Sometimes, I go back and try it on, and sometimes, I then buy it. This is how I have chosen several of my favorite pieces. I don't get me, either.

3. I have trouble handling metal. It grosses me out. This phobia is mainly regarding other people's jewelry. Sometimes I get a gag reflex if someone hands me her jewelry and tells me to try it on or something. I am not sure what happened to me to make me so weird. But I can remember being a little girl on the playground, and a schoolmate asking me to hold her jewelry while she went down the slide, and all I could do was stand there and stare at it and wait for her to take it back. And then I really wanted to wash my hands. My parents do not know if I choked on something or what, but it's a lifelong thing I can't kick.

4. You know how some people play air guitar? I do air typing. Or keyboarding, as they call it now. I've always done this, at least as far back as my teen years. I remember typing on my lap in school while my teacher was talking. It was like taking dictation.

5. Back to the paint stick arena. I also have a bedtime ritual which includes a small remote that turns on an air purifier (mainly for the comforting "white noise"), but I also have a remote which controls the TV, which I usually set at 40-50 minutes to turn off automatically. The problem is, once I have both going, if I adjust the volume on the TV or change channels, the purifier often shuts off, even though I'm not using its remote. So I grab the white remote (appropriately white like white noise) with my right hand and start pushing buttons, and then I return to the TV side with the black remote and start pushing buttons. It's a frustrating cycle. Husband says I'm like the Laura Croft of remotes. He's lying there with remote crossfire going over him because the purifier is on his side of the room. So I found that if I let my left arm dangle down below the mattress and hold the TV remote at precisely the right angle, I can change the TV and keep my noise. But if I do this too long, my arm goes to sleep way before anyone else in the room. OK--Who wants to room with me at She Speaks?!

6. I can count by fours as fast as others can count by twos, threes and fives. It's a gift that's not fully appreciated unless people are talking about election years.
And now my 6 victims tagees (feel free to save this meme for when you need a topic to blog about):

1. Carol at I Throw Like a Girl.
2. Debbie at Like a Rose.
3. Missy at It's Almost Naptime.
4. Merrie at Merrie Days.
5. Ann at Small Town Life
6. Melanie at This Ain't New York

IT'S A MAJOR AWARD!

I am also bad at picking up awards that people have given me. I don't know what happens, except that I'm scatterbrained. I'm always honored when people give me an award, but I must click away without committing it to memory, and then I can't find it again. Three people gave me the daily dose award, which I find particularly flattering. Don't you know Marina is the only one I can remember now. So if you gave that award to me and I seemed unappreciative, I was not. I was just stupid. And I apologize. This last week, Marina at Daughter of the King gave me two:

16 comments:

Melanie said...

When I am asked to share something strange about myself, I always hesitate. But after reading yours I feel COMPLETELY normal.

Linda said...

Ouch. Oh well. The whole World Wide Web now knows the E True Hoosier Story.

Ann said...

Hey I know something even quirkier than a paint stir stick. Maybe it's not fair to share this because my mom can't defend herself, but you know what she uses as a back scratcher? Guess what she has resting on her bedside table. A never-been-used toilet brush. Yep, I said it.

Hey, thanks for the challege! I shall do my best to find strange things about myself (haha there are PLENTY, how will I narrow it down?)

Have an awesome week!

chickadee said...

can you stand to wear jewelry yourself with the metal issues?

i keep a paint stick close by too. i use it as a paddle for kids who get out of bed.

Alana said...

Linda!

Wanted to let you know I received the book today! Thank you so much! Looks like a great read ;-)

Julie said...

Linda, You did great. Heck it was my first Meme...in fact I didn't even know what a Meme was. Does that mean I am now initiated in the "blog world"?

Never thought about using a paint stick, but now I have. In fact I am going to buy some paint soon to paint my living room. I'll have to ask for an extra one to sit beside the bed.

Tell me about the noise machine. Will it drown out my husband's snoring? I am a light sleeper...does it take getting used to?

Thanks for participating. Yea, I felt bad about tagging people too. I wasn't really sure what to do, but I hated to let the person down who tagged me.

Have a blessed day,
Julie

Carol said...

Hi Linda,
Thanks for tagging me! My 6 quirky things are now posted.
Carol @ I Throw Like A Girl
http://carolmehl.wordpress.com

Teri said...

I like you more and more every time I visit! I especially like how you choose your clothes in the store...maybe I should try that!

Merrie said...

Okay, I'm up and posted w/ my quirky things. Thanks for tagging me and congratulations on your mutliple awards...

I love the idea of the paint stick. I'll have to get one!

nancygrayce said...

Just thought I'd let you know that I type too....even in church I type as the preacher preaches....drives my poor husband crazy! Keeps the skills up though!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Oh my gosh. You are such my soul sister.

I am addicted - ADDICTED - to white noise, as are all my children. And I love to fall asleep with the TV on. There is something so comforting about waking up, realizing you have crashed for who knows how long, and zapping off the TV. I did it last night to What Not to Wear.

Ok, so Hilton? Marriott?

Susanne said...

If you ever come to visit and stay at my house, I'll make sure you have a couple of remotes and a paint stick to make you feel right at home.

That's odd about the metal thing. So it's not really the metal but the thought that it was the metal worn by somebody?

T said...

hey, pier one has these really awesome wooden back scratchers for like a buck or two. My husband has a collection of them. seriously. they are so nice.

Teresa said...

Yaah...another air typer! Sometimes I'm sitting in church and I'll have my hand resting on my husbands knee. All of a sudden he'll lean over and say "you're typing again!" LOL

Heth said...

This is one of the best memes I have ever read. You are awesome.

Jodie said...

I'M AN AIR "KEYBOARDER" TOO! :) Man, God likes quirky people huh? He made so many of them. :)
And I love your hate then love relationship with clothes in the store. I wrestle the same way and I ask myself, my gosh, do I hate this? Or is it the coolest thing I've ever seen?? I can't decide! :)
I enjoyed reading this - I always enjoy reading your stuff. :)