Got a couple of fish swimming through my stream of consciousness today. Maybe you could throw them some ... worms?
Background: The She Speaks conference of Proverbs 31 Ministries is June 20-22, and I think I'd love to go in order to focus on the writing part. As I clicked around the site, I saw that last year's fee was $525.00, which includes the hotel. Registration includes all sessions, conference material, dinner on Friday, breakfast, lunch and dinner on Saturday and breakfast on Sunday.
If I fly, I could easily tack on another $200.00.
If my husband and I drove, it would be 10 hours.
1. I HATE to fly, and get a sort of crazed, panicky buzz just thinking about airports and baggage and gates and nausea and LOST. This is a white-knuckle fear for me. Being in an airport by myself is probably my biggest fear. The 2nd biggest is being on the plane, and my 3rd is getting off the plane and my 4th is finding/getting my luggage and my 5th is getting a shuttle to the hotel. I could almost faint just writing that. You can imagine how normal airport scenes in normal movies become horror flicks to me.
2. I HATE to drive and have to drug myself up to keep from throwing up. This is actually my 2nd white-knuckle fear, because those other fears were sub-point fears of fear #1. Plus, there's a lot better chance of dying on the road than in the air, but both would have the same outcome. Please do not quote 2 Corinthians 5:6-8. I am not done being present in my body, even if it's sliding downhill daily.
3. For the same amount of money, I could have a laptop. Can you just see me with a laptop? I can. I can see me right now posting on my laptop in Starbucks. I can see that I am looking happy AND cool.
1. If I could scrape up that money for a trip or a laptop, should I scrape it up and give it to orphans in Kazakhstan or my kids at college? (Aforementioned college kids are not eligible to answer this question.)
2. Would it please God for me to go to this, or am I being totally selfish?
3. Would Missy be totally disappointed to learn how dull I am in actual verbal conversation? Would she be surprised that I am probably her mom's age?
4. Although the Blogstar Trinity (Big Mama, BooMama, and Shannon of Rocks in My Dryer) are scheduled to speak, would I get to see/meet them? Or maybe just touch the hems of their stylish pants?
5. What if I don't hear God correctly about going or not going? Suppose I think he wants me to go, but it's just my hopeful imagination?
OK. What do you think about any/all of my excellent points?