Monday, February 18, 2008

In the Meme Time ...

The title of this post leads me to ask: How do you pronounce "meme?" Is it "mee-mee" or "meem?" I always say it "meem," but I realize I have never heard this word spoken aloud except by Debbie at Like a Rose, so Debbie and I ask you, O Experienced Memers, "How do you say it?"

Kelly at Girl on a Mission tagged me for this mmm .... eem. Mee. eem.

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.


Book: The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg, my new favorite author. We just finished this in a monthly book study that Debbie and I go to called Women of Influence. Great book; I highly recommend it.

The first two sentences of the three are a quotation of Bonhoeffer:

Often we combat our evil thoughts most effectively if we absolutely refuse to allow them to be expressed in words .... It must be a decisive rule of every Christian fellowship that each individual is prohibited from saying much that occurs to him.

Ortberg:
This behavior flies in the face of the conventional wisdom today, when saying, 'everything that occurs to you' is taken as an essential component of mental health.


Bonus sentence because it's good: But sometimes this 'ministry of the closed mouth' is a victory for the kingdom.

Amen? Amen.

I cannot bring myself to tag people because I'm so bad at responding to tags and awards. Shameful. If you'd like to play, let me know in your comment.

13 comments:

Kelly said...

That's good - and this book is on my list of "gotta read" - along with about 10 other books! Ha!

And I have always wondered how "meme" is pronounced, too! :)

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo I like this one!! So random!! And yet...not...

I say meem. But, what do I know. I also say oinge and poim. And I learned in college that the rest of the world does not.

KarenW said...

I've always said "mem". In my head that is. I don't know if I've ever said it out loud. And I don't know why because phonetically, it should be a long e. Now I'm curious and need to know the answer! Let me know if you find out!! : )

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

By the way, your quote took me instantly to my Aunt Martha Ann, a true Southern Belle in a tragic Tennessee Williams sort of way, who would say in a very thick Texas accent:

You don't have to tell all you know.

Deven said...

I say "mehm" with a slightly French accent. The French thing stems from my deeply cherished belief that anything said with a French accent MUST sound more intelligent than when spoken with a Hoosier one.

A Stone Gatherer said...

I love John Ortberg too! I've read "To walk on water, you gott get out of the boat", and "Everyones normal til you get to know them". That last one is about living in community! Boy was it good! Have a great day!

Susan said...

I read somewhere early on in my "blogging life" that it was pronounced like "dream" with an "m". Still looks like "Mimi" to me!!

Susan

Mocha with Linda said...

Who cares how to pronounce it (I always say meem) - it took me forever to figure out what it meant!! I still don't get how they came up with such a weird word for this. LOL

Great excerpt. Love the "ministry of the closed mouth." Now THAT'S a ministry I need to have more of! Makes me think of Calvin Coolidge (I posted some weird trivia for President's Day last night).

Heth said...

Even a meme can minister. "Ministry of a closed mouth"....that's some good stuff.

Susanne said...

I've always said "meeeme" but someone else wrote it out as "me""me" as in all about Me.

That book sounds very good. Funny I just read something somewhere else about the tongue and our lack of disciplining it.

Ann said...

I'm right there with deven. Mehm like with a french accent.

I have this book...a few years ago we did a Bible study on it where we watched the video as a whole group and read in our own time. I need to reread it.

Debbie said...

Well, however you say it, I'd be up for doing this one. I'm just starting a new book.

Lois E. Lane said...

And I always say it MAME. Go figure!