Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Blog Toe & Meme

I have a mystery pain in my foot that is growing.

The pain has altered my lifestyle. That is, I was thinking of exercising before, but now I'm no longer thinking about it. I know; that's tragic.

I have explained over and over and over and over and over again to my husband that I simply cannot do anything except blog because I have this pain in my foot which precludes any activity but blogging, and maybe watching American Idol and LOST. And eating food that he has prepared and brought to me. Because I have this pain in my foot.

Being the analytical type, I had to figure out what caused this pain so that I could continue to milk it for all it's worth.

I know what the malady is now. It's "Blog Toe." When I post, I have a habit of pulling my right foot up and pressing the ball of my foot into the floor, lifting my heel, and apparently pushing down with vim and vigor. I suspect the more impassioned I am about the subject matter, the harder I push. Therefore, I cannot write about my close personal friend Clinton Kelly for at least a couple of weeks.

I believe I have pulled a muscle or tendon. It hurts to even simulate that picture above. So it looks like I'm going to have to be catered to hand and foot (no pun intended, just instinctively clever) for a long, long ... long time.

Have you ever strained your wrist or neck or foot from blogging too much or in a weird way? If so, I'd like to hear about it and what your strategies were for becoming excessively pampered due to said injury.

Also, a meme. Look at me. I actually remembered I got tagged. By Lynn at Life in Bloom.

What were you doing 10 years ago? I was preparing for my first short-term missions trip to Kazakhstan, member of the former USSR.

5 things on your to do list for today:

1. Place signs in the yards of youth group kids while they're at school inviting them to a special event
2. Help with a youth meeting/meal tonight.
3. Work on a book proposal
4. Read my Bible because I'm on a roll; I haven't missed a day this month. I decided that even if it gets all legalistic and becomes a task, it's better than hit or miss.
5. Exfoliate and consider getting a Mystic spray tan just for the heck of it. You have to exfoliate first.

3 Bad habits:

Forgetting names
Forgetting when I've been tagged
Forgetting ... something else

5 jobs that I've had:

I'll give you the first 5--
Worked at a KFC-like place called "Famous Recipe Fried Chicken"
Sales associate at Stuarts clothing store
English tutor at Ball State University
Secretary to the President at Winebrenner Theological Seminary in Findlay, OH
Weight Watcher Meeting Leader

5 books I've recently read:

All She Ever Wanted, Lynn Austin
Candle in the Darkness, Lynn Austin
Two books for reviews that are coming up TBA later
The B-I-B-L-E, yes that's the book for me; I've read it every day this month, the B-I-B-L-E!

24 comments:

Kimberly said...

I'm feelin' your pain Linda. Oh yes I am. I'm wearing a wrist thingy due to tendonitis in the thumb area. Hubby tried to tell me it was from spending so much time on the computer with my blog and reading other blogs. I could wish that's why, but it's for a much sillier reason: spending six hours one day snipping open seams on the rag quilt I made for his birthday. If I'd had to fill out an insurance form and state what caused the injury, what could I have put? Reckless use of scissors? Being snippy with my husband? Improper hand manipulation?

Muddy said...

I have no fans here in my house as my kids are older than the "target" age, but we have watched as she has emerged into popularity like everyone else. I am sick that people (her parents, other adults) let this happen to her. I am sick that she has been exploited and manipulated. She is a child still and someone let their guard down and made a very bad decision on her behalf. Her modesty has been compromised. Her squeaky clean image tarnished. You cannot get that back no matter how many times you say you are sorry. When your innocence is gone, it's gone.

It's a good reminder that the only one we should look up to is Jesus as He holds the hope of the world.

Lynn said...

Woo hoo look at you! Thanks for playing along!

Merrie said...

I think that what you are describing is definately the NEW "carpal tunnel" disease of the toe, known now as "Blogger's Toe"... but, it really should be named "LINDA'S blogger's toe" since you are the one who discovered it.
I can see the need for grants and studies done on your toe to determine exactly how this happens and how long you must blog before it becomes a malady and if it becomes permanant... This could go on for YEARS! (if not decades - milk it for as long as you can and get all the grants and aids and help possible I'm there with and for you!)

Teri said...

My neck is SO out of whack from using my laptop in bed. (That sorta sounds bad.)
I read blogs before I go to bed. I do this in bed because that is where my husband likes me. Even if I am fully clothed with a computer in my face. He prefers me sans computer, and sans clothes for that matter. But I am a good-northern girl and I don't talk of such things. Phshaw.
Anyway, the neck...I get no sympathy, no waiting on, no milking from the neck. I just get a swift "Maybe you shouldn't use the laptop in bed." But then I wouldn't be there to sing him to sleep. He Ken Lee without that.
Oh! I bought a bed tray for the laptop...it is helping.
It won't help your foot, so sorry bout that.
(And I don't really sing him to sleep.)

Linda said...

Teri, I wonder how the love lives of many Americans would change if we would just leave our laptops in our family rooms and sing "Ken Lee" to our loved one as we climb into bed. It's a powerful balad.

Susanne said...

LOL. Good thing I swallowed my mouthful of coffee just before I read your comment to Teri or else I wouldn't have a laptop to take to bed. LOL.

I had blogger heel once from sitting on the couch with my feet up on the coffee table while blogging. Man that hurt. But alas, I got no sympathy whatsoever so milking it was out of the question. :v(

marina said...

Oh, you poor thing Linda you must milk these was much as you can we will never truly no what happen to your toe but we must investgate these matter which I think will take a l-o-n-g while to come to something as to why?????LOL!!!
I had an upper GI for one day I got pamper the next day it was
over "But honey don't you see I have an ulcer "sniff,sniff, I need time to sleep and read in bed and blog!love, marina

Mocha with Linda said...

You toe-tally crack me up. Yep, sounds like carpal tunnel of the big toe. Only it would be called metatarsal tunnel, I guess! Since carpal is wrist, and metatarsal is toe.

And I'm impressed that you leaped from selling chicken and clothes to being an executive secretary! You are a woman of many talents.

SJ said...

Well, as I was reading your post I realized that my foot was in that exact same position! Who knew? But no pains yet. Give it time, I'm sure.

I tend to slump in my chair while I'm blogging and have to keep reminding myself to sit up straight. So, my pains are in the neck and back regions.

But no pampering goes on in this house, unfortuneately. I married a southern "buck up" kind of guy. I was out chopping firewood with him yesterday (I have my own splitter). How's that for pampering? :)

Melanie said...

I have blog hips and thighs. No pain, just a strange swelling of cellulite.

Mommy, the Human Napkin said...

Weeeeellllll, see, I use my computer for blogging, and I also take classes online, so I'm at my desk for most of the day. I sit in my desk chair with both feet drawn up under me, so I end up with both my feet asleep, and my hiney, too. By that point, it's just easier to stay in that position than risk the pain of having to get up and move around. I think I need more hobbies, maybe. And possibly some exercise.

Tammy said...

Hey Linda...this meme was so much fun to read...you are hilarious!

But I'm sorry about your foot...I have a strange pain that comes and goes in one of my ankles. When I'd get these before, my mom use to call them growing pains, but sadly, at 45, I think you and I have reached our bodily length and can't blame our maladies on that anymore...;)

Your 5 jobs were fascinating...and diverse!!!

I've missed your friendly face at my place...except maybe you stopped by and saw it looked frightening like I was showing slides of our vacation and you ran the other way...LOL

Blessings,
~Tammy

Grace said...

Yes, yes, yes...mysterious ailments are popping up all over the place. Mostly the right wrist.
The eyes are shot too, but I don't think that's the computer's fault - just the amount of candles on my birthday cake now....
Grins.

DidiLyn said...

The toe thingy was really funny (especially with the visual.) The I looked down and there is my big toe doing the Blog Toe! Unbelievable.
I also have Quad Rider's thumb, a little known syndrome which was a mystery to me for months.(caused by pushing hard on the throttle) Finally put two and two together. Because I'm a brainiac like that.

Jodie said...

When I had my first computer and really discovered the internet (ie - chat rooms -- nearly 10 years ago because I was young enough to care about chat rooms and whatnot), I would sit at the computer for HOURS - literally until my buns fell asleep. I would go numb. NUMB. I had a problem.
I'm better now.
And there was no pampering. What I needed was a swift kick in the pants. And I'm totally NOT suggesting that's what you need. I mean, your injury is legitimate. :)

Heather@Mommymonk said...

Oh blog toe! That is so hilarious. I'm going to have to use that one. To get out of excercising, I mean. You are a hoot!

Jennifer said...

Hmm, well I don't do anything with my feet when I'm writing. But I get highly annoyed when someone tries to talk to me or calls me in the midst of my blogging. I mean, I've creative juices flowing and when they get interrupted, it breaks my concentration! I hope your foot gets to feeling better - it is slightly humorous though that you pulled a muscle blogging. That's intense girl. Way to show some serious devotion to your writing! (o:

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I for one appreciate your commitment to blogging. Way to take one for the team.

TELL ME about your book proposal!!!!!

sarah said...

That's funny. No, I haven't had a blog toe but definitely a blog back and neck!

Hey, I want to know more about your trip. Cool! I will be praying for you all as you plan. When are you going?

Muddy said...

Obviously I became confused as I posted the above comment, putting it here instead of with the right post LOL

Sorry to hear about your blog toe.

Susan said...

Linda,

I hope your toe gets better soon! I love your meme at here. It's so fun to learn little known facts...like your famous fried chicken connection. Now, it's interesting because I wrote about KFC in my Thursday Thirteen today.

Hugs,

Susan

PJ said...

I'll have to work on the origin of my shoulder pain. Sounds good to me, though. I think maybe I hold my right shoulder too high when I type!!! Gotta give it some thought!

Ann said...

My shoulder gets to hurting if I sit at the computer too long. And this is creepy, but I checked out my own feet to see what they do when I sit here, and you know what? They do just the opposite. My toes curl under, ew that sounds icky. And I never realized it till now. I kinda feel like I fell for the old "Betcha can't lick your elbow" trick and I'm LAUGHING!

I love your wit!