Thursday, June 26, 2008

I Bet You Thought I Was Fresh Out of Stressful Stories

Not so.

It just so happens that a couple of months ago, my husband told a young man whom he sort of mentors that we would be happy to provide a place for his visiting new girlfriend to stay while they spent a few days together.

Now, let's just stop right here and review once again what I have emphatically reported to you as the two most dreaded situations that I can personally face in life: 1) air travel and 2) entertaining, or hostessing. I bet you already knew that, didn't you? So tell me, if you knew that, why didn't my husband???

Back to the story. Jorge told me, "The end of June," but because I was just trying to get to She Speaks even as far back as February, the end of June seemed decades away. My thinking was not logical, but then, well, you know.

So as I told you, I've been running from the minute I get up in the morning until I drop at night all of this week working on our church's service week called "SERVE." It's like the word "serve," only in ALL CAPS because we are all cutting-edge like that.

Anyway.

It finally dawned on Jorge and me that "Ruth" is coming into town tonight, and we have nowhere to lodge her, except maybe in the attic with our high school varsity jackets or perhaps next to Zoe on her pink princess cushion-bed.

Therefore, we have been painting and scrambling to fix up College Daughter's old room to make it into a guest room the last few evenings. I've had a bedspread and accoutrements for quite some time. I've just been too busy with the conference and all, to get it done.

So I have to check out of SERVE today, go to the grocery store, check back in, check back out, go home and clean, check back in and then check out before Ruth arrives.

Here is what I can't wrap my mind around. When I was stuck that three hours on the plane, I read a book in its entirety which was given to me at the conference by Karen Ehman called, A Life That Says Welcome: Simple Ways to Open Your Heart & Home to Others.

Oh, brother.

Is God messing with me? I mean, air travel, appointments with editors, SERVE week and a house guest within two weeks? Am I on LOST? Am I in purgatory?

I don't know whether I'm coming or going, but I know where I'd like to be. On Anna Maria Island with my pink toenails planted in white sand.

I'll catch you up later on my house guest event so that I can confirm my inadequacy one more time with you, just for kicks. Ta-ta for now.

*PS: I have met the house guest, and she is a lovely person! Very gracious. Which is good.

19 comments:

April in CT said...

I'm the same way! Fretting over every detail knowing I'll mess something up because I'm a terrible hostess. We have company coming (my MIL no less!!) next week so I sympathize with you.

My advice..just breathe! And enjoy the company of your guest. :o)

sarah said...

You are a good woman. I don't think I could have done all that. I came to my mom's instead and have been a guest in her house all week. Totally spoiled I tell ya!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

DO NOT COOK HAM.

That's all I'm sayin.'

Seriously, you will be a great hostess. It is all about the heart- not the results.

Susanne said...

I'm sure she will enjoy her stay, Linda. You are a most gracious person and she is probably very thankful to have somewhere to stay. Just do what the book title says: "Simple Ways". I know most of my stress from hostessing comes from complicating the experience too much & wanting everything perfect. You'll be fine. Relax and be yourself, she'll love it.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Wow...holy bumps for me. God not only provided someone to give you a book on opening your heart and home but He gave you the time to read it days prior to you having a guest. Even with that, He knew you would in no way have time to read it at home during your time with SERVE. How very breathtaking how He works.

Breathe in, breathe out. Hopefully, you won't have to entertain much as she will be spending most of her time with her beau.

Kelley said...

God is really stretching you my friend! However, I know for a fact that you are a blessing and your house guest is one lucky girl! Enjoy your weekend, it sounds like you need a break!!

Truth4thejourney said...

Hi Linda,
Life hasn't slowed down for you since the conference, has it?

We are getting ready to go out of town for our family vacation on Friday! Looking forward to it, but after packing all 6 children and myself, I have to stop and wonder if it's really worth it. (I know it is, of course)

My e-mail address is razn6@netzero.net I'd love that picture of you and me and Kelly and Robin! Thanks so much.

Oh, you're blog seems to be loading really well and I have not had any problems reading the font lately! Yeah!

PJ said...

I'm totally convinced. God has a sense of humor. Sometimes he just messes with us to get a good laugh. It must be boring there with just angels' singing and stuff. And millions of prayers to listen to could get really boring. Most of us just whine. So he messes with us!!

Krista said...

Sounds like you've got your hands full! The weekend will be here and gone again before you have time to blink...and then you get to start all over next week. :)

Maybe next week will be a little calmer! I am enjoying your blog everyday.

Singing to the King,
Krista

Carrie said...

Good luck with your houseguest. I'm sure she's appreciative of your generousity. Will check back for updates!

Mocha with Linda said...

So you had to leave SERVE to go serve, huh?! Take deep breaths - she won't notice all the details you are stressing over.

I'm thnking after this is all over Jorge needs to send one of those limo guys to pick you up and whisk you away to a spa.

Irritable Mother said...

Linda, what fun it has been meeting you! I am so glad you visited my blog, so I could come over here for a visit. *grin*
What an adventure She Speaks was for you! But wouldn't you agree it's all the "extras" God throws in which really make a conference experience great? That has been my conclusion from all the "mis-haps" I've encountered on my own excursions.
Anyway, glad you made it home safely and are now enjoying "Ruth."

Loving Jesus,
Karen

Debbie said...

Okay this one had me literally laughing out loud! Probably because I can so relate to the "oh, honey, by the way, remember that we're ________ (fill in the blank).

And the book.... hillarious. I agree with PJ that God has a sense of humor.

p.s. You are a much, much better hostess than you give yourself credit for.

THopgood said...

Oh I can so relate! I HATE playing "Hostess"....HATE! Turns me into a freak that even I can't stand to be around. I'm feel'n ya dawg!

Lisa B said...

Hi Linda,

I just found your blog from your comment on my knitting blog. I love that you love Lost and American Idol! I'll be stopping by again!

Lisa

Roxanne Kristina said...

Hey, if you need a break, I just posted a sweet story of our friends who adopted from China. CNN did a feature on them:

http://sharingnotes.blogspot.com/2008/06/some-of-you-have-been-following-our.html

Blessings,
Roxanne Kristina
www.sharingnotes.blogspot.com

Cindy said...

When I read this post it brought back some great memories for me when I visited my husband before we married. After he graduated from college he took a job 600 miles from home. He was "adopted" by two families who helped him settle in to a new job and the big city. I went for a visit a "few" times before we married and stayed with one of his Ft.Worth families. After we married, these ladies meant so much to me, mentoring a young bride far away from home. They were "honorary grandparents" to our son. We eventually moved back home but still stay in touch and have taken family vacations out to see them. We will celebrate our 23rd anniversary on Sunday. Trust me, she won't care if you pull out the good guest towels or not. She's just happy to see her man!
So enjoy your company and have a great weekend.

Cyndy said...

I love you Linda! You are real and you are honest and you have the ability to look at your life with a sense of humor.

I can imagine how stressful it is doing all that you are doing. God uses the most interesting circumstances to grow and teach sometimes, doesn't He?

I'll be praying all goes well, which I am sure it will. And the other Cindy is right...she's just happy to see her man!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

LOL! You sound so much like me...I want everything to be perfect, and I stress myself out over all the details to get it ALL done, right now.

Love your blog...

Xandra