Sunday, July 13, 2008

Awards & Housekeeping


First of all, I am so very honored to be affirmed by people whom I admire. Laurie Ann from A Magnolia's Heart Beats, Jen from Today at Jen's House and Rachel at Christians in Good Company have bestowed upon me: The Arte Y Pico award!

Yay!

Except I don't know what the term means, but it sounds like Pico de Gallo, which I love, so how can it be anything but grand? So I went to the source:

"The Arte Y Pico is awarded to blogs that you consider deserving due to their creativity, design, interesting material and for their contributions to the blogging community. If you receive the Arte Y Pico you in turn are to bestow it on five blogs you deem worthy of this award."

Also:

"What is the meaning of the expression: Basically, ironically, it translates into a wonderful phrase in Mexico, “lo maximo.” LOL! It will never find its counterpart in English, but if it HAD to, it would be something like, Wow. The Best Art. Over the top."

Wow. Sort of sounds like Lindsay of Splat Designs actually deserves this one!

SPLAT DESIGNS!

But since the graphic is a woman in a purple dress, I shall accept it because I do love purple, and I do love the love which befell me.

Thank you, Jen, Rachel and Laurie Ann.

And the mention of the look of a blog brings me to the housekeeping section of the post. Did you notice I changed the background of my posts? I felt so bad that people have had trouble reading my font, even though it was black. I loved the richness of the background that I had, but practicality had to win out. Also, I added a "search" feature and collapsed some sidebar material into menus. That all only took about FOUR hours. Why is html so hard?? ARGH!

I think I need a fairly plain blog that will let me switch pics throughout the seasons. You see, that's me. I tend to decorate in neutrals and then switch up accents according to season. When I get locked in to a "season," on this blog, I start getting really fidgety about it.

I do subscribe to Split Decisionz by Amy, and that helps tremendously, but just like some kids want "Jesus with skin on," I need to have Amy sitting in the chair beside me!


What have you learned about html or about blogging or about your blogging style lately?

16 comments:

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Thanks for the link for Amy, I will go ahead and check that out!

I will tell you that I am happy with the lighter colored background because I had a hard time seeing the other one...but it was nice.. :)

My style? I have noticed that I prefer the less-is-more approach. I can't get too many things on my sidebar or it feels cluttered to me. And I have also noticed that I evidently like the look of being outside because my blog looks kind of...well...outdoorsy, I guess? :)

Chatty Kelly said...

I just noticed that you changed your background color from the dark to lighter. If you hadn't told me, I'd never notice. I'm one of those who are here truly for the read. I love your writing!

So congrats on the style award, but I love your writing the best. Or should I say Ken Lee! :-)

And my question is how do you have time to blog every day and still write for publication and work and live your life!!!!! That deserves as award right there!

Susanne said...

Congrats on the award, Linda! I think you should get an award just for having the guts to get into your html! You got guts, girl. I'm terrified to do anything like that, I'd probably crash all of blogland or my site would disappear in cyberspace somewhere never to return.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I have learned that you should save every bit of info that you had in your sidebar (blogrolls, buttons, site meter, etc) before you switch to a temporary blogger template.

EEEEKKK!

I also changed my template to be able to have a light background. I've read comments that people like the light backgrounds better, easier to read and so on. I even like it better myself! Who knew?

Great color for your background- still goes with the theme. You can call the color "the foam on the top of the coffee!" Or "a coffee with 3 creams" (my fav).

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Yes, as you mentioned it I guess the background is lighter. I never had a problem reading it. Maybe that will come when it all goes down hill after 40...they tell me anyway. When my eye doc said it was inevitable that my near sightedness would fail me in my 40s, I tried to "bargain" with him as I proceeded to ask "could it happen more like late 40s...ie 48-49?" We laughed.

I did notice your sidebar though and the clasped menus...and I noticed my blog added to your blog list. :-) thanks.

I know than I did three months ago about html and blog but not an expert by far.

Barbara H. said...

I liked the richness of the other background, too, but this one is much easier to read.

I like to switch pictures on my blog according to season, too.

I am the barest beginner in html -- don't know much at all.

skoots1mom said...

i like your creamy color...i noticed it but didn't think to mention it

I meant to send u a msg a few days ago after you left me a msg about your anniv being the same as my parents and your dad being a wwii vet...that is too cool! I love remembering things my parents have shared with us, and I get a knot in my throat each time i think of their sacrifices during wwii...i have a nephew who is serving now and i feel the same way about his love and dedication for this nation! if my dad were still living he would have been 82yo, that just doesn't sound possible!

still loving all your posts...KEN LEE!

Susan said...

I love it that you got this award...you deserve it, my friend. So you're doing more of your own html stuff? You ARE amazing, Linda!

I love Amy's blog and keep reading the tips while thinking that I "could do that someday"...then I remember back when I used to go to craft shows and I read a sign that said: "I know you COULD make it, but WILL you?" And so I continue to pay for my designs...and count on others to do it for me. (Seriously, I do add my pics and some stuff...but the colors and all...no way. Which reminds me that I am SO ready for a new look!)

Hugs to you,

susan

Laurie Ann said...

*Hugs* And I love the other blog design as well, though admittedly, this one is easier on the eyes.

Kelley said...

I got this award from a couple of wonderful ladies too. I just hate having to pick 5 people to send it on to. Thanks for doing research on what it means (I was thinking Pico de Gallo too). The blog looks nice, you can't go wrong with neutrals. I've been playing with blog design myself which cracks me up cuz I would consider myself computer illiterate. It must be God working through me....

I hope you are enjoying your time with the family!!

beverlydru said...

I can see! Thanks for the change- it is definitely easier to read.

I am in pre-school with blog rules but I think we all like change- I knwo when the seaons change I must have some new clothes. My blog needs a change - I'm in eternal spring.

Anonymous said...

So Linda...Who are you passing the award on to? I'm a recipient also... but the point is to share the love and give glory to the Lord!!!

Why 2nd Cup of Coffee? said...

Dear Anonymous: Who wants to know?

Denise said...

Hi Linda...thanks for the comments on my blog's "new look". As a novice, I have been playing around with the HTML (so far, I haven't created major issues) and even figured out how to add a new sidebar. I also came across www.cutestblogontheblock.com and they have some free backgrounds that are adorable - hence, mine new one. BTW, love your new look!

Tammy said...

I love the new look of the blog. I've missed it cause I usually go through bloglines to read everything and it doesn't show the colors, etc. I really like it and I love the header!

Mocha with Linda said...

Love the lighter look behind the font! These aging eyes need all the help they can get.

Congrats on your award. You are muy deserving!

And now I gotta get caught up on all I missed her last week!!