Saturday, July 12, 2008

Another Day in My Month as a SAHM

People, I made a cake, the one pictured on the left here, which I pulled from the recipe site.

A Mocha Chiffon Cake with Chocolate Coffee Buttercream Filling.

This is a cake unlike any other cake. Because I made it from scratch, and it lived. And it involved doing arduous things like separating 8 large eggs and whipping the whites into a froth and then folding them, yes, folding them, into the batter. And four layers. Yeah, it was that complex. And, oh, the scrump-diddly-ump-tious-ness.

Where was I?

Oh yes ... If Aunt Bea Taylor knew about this cake, she'd try to steal the recipe so that she could win the Mayberry fair blue ribbon. Note how forlorn she looked in this 1967 pic. That's because Nostradamus had just told her I would someday bake this cake after she could no longer compete.





If Ernest Hemingway wrote about this cake, he would be unable to compose in his stoic, hard-boiled manly writing style. He would turn into Ernie Wordsworth. In fact, few people know how passionate Hemingway actually was about cake: "For a war to be just, three conditions are necessary - public authority, just cause, and one last piece of cake." Apparently, Ernest Ken Lee'd cake.




If cows could digest this cake, they would ask for a 5th stomach so they could have moooooore.






If Josh Groban tasted this cake, he would sing like Little Richard Groban.

That's how good this Mocha Chiffon Cake is:

"Wooooooooo!"

Did I mention it's a Mocha Chiffon Cake with Chocolate Coffee Buttercream Filling?

If you ever dare spend an entire afternoon of your life baking this cake, don't say I didn't warn you: It's kind of worth an entire afternoon of your life.

23 comments:

Krista said...

It's too bad we are not neighbors, I would come over and share a piece with a cup of coffee! You did good!

Eat more Chocolate,
Krista

DidiLyn said...

Okay, Linda. You really must stop with the food posts. Because I get all caught up in the power of suggestion and WHERE am I going to find a piece of that cake RIGHT NOW?
No wonder I am as fluffy as I am.

Susanne said...

I don't suppose that cake would ship very well, would it? As in to Canada from Muncie, would it? You wouldn't want to give it a try, would you? Because I know I just Ken Lee without tasting that thing now, and we all know about my baking woes.

Roxanne Kristina said...

Gggeeeezzzz, I just told my sister girl friend I was going to start eatting healthy today! Still going to live vicariously through your post. YUMM and funny!

Just returned from a fam vacation with virtually no cell/internet. Am soooo happy to be back to civilization to check in on blogs. Here's my link to our vacation if interested:

http://sharingnotes.blogspot.com/search/label/Idaho

Blessings,
Roxanne

Roxanne said...

That was just hilarious. ANd I am SO glad that it turned out beautifully for you instead of flopping as scratch cakes are wont to do. Baking a cake from scratch is not small accomplishment.

PJ said...

I'm totally impressed. The cake LOOKS beautiful too. I can sometimes do a cake that TASTES okay...but the LOOKS...It's beautiful. When I drop by to see you, I must have a piece of this cake!!!

Chel said...

WHAT? No picture of YOUR cake? Nevertheless, I've read your blog long enough to know that a huge "Congratulations!" is in order. So here you have it. I am so proud of you!

And I do believe I may try to spend an afternoon with that cake sometime. Yum.

At Christmas time, I'll post a recipe for my fav Christmas cookies: Espresso Delights

They would make a great companion to your cake! Have a great weekend!

Chel said...

Ha! I went to the recipe so I could print it out...did you see the Sponsored Link right after the recipe? "Lose 15 lbs. by the end of summer!" Ha!

skoots1mom said...

can't wait to try it...my accountability group will LOVE it! and my husband won't eat any cause he doesn't like coffee!

thanks for the recipe link!
~:>

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Oh my dear sweet goodness that thing is a piece of beauty to behold.
Now I am totally craving it.

Merrie said...

Oh man! Can't wait to try it! Now, I have THREE things on my list that you keep adding to that will add to my size! Do you have anything to shave off the pounds and inches???

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

My, oh my! I really wish you would have taken a picture of your cake so that we could bask in its beauty. Or are you too chicken? Come on sista', let us see the cake.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

You are cracking me up. I've always hated when Aunt Bea is forlorn. Makes me so sad...


Love the background color!

Paula (SweetPea) said...

An entire afternoon is for sure. I could tell by the pic and your description it would be "long suffering". haha

Linda said...

Okay, I am officially hungry for Mocha Chiffon Cake with Chocolate Coffee Buttercream Filling. Anything that has "Buttercream" in the title is worth an afternoon of your life!

Marina said...

All I have to say is I want some of your cake ,can you send a piece over?? :),marina

Natalie said...

If it's good enough for Aunt Bea...it's good enough for me! Looks mouth-watering!

Carol said...

Yummy. Anything chocolate wins in my book.

mandy said...

the cows would ask for a 5th stomach!!!

OH MY GOSH YOU AIN'T RIGHT! that is too funny!

Susan said...

Sounds just yummy. Never fear, I will never in one million years spend an entire afternoon making a cake. BUT I'm so glad people like you do! Cause people like you are usually willing to share...

:-) Susan

Laurie Ann said...

Oh yum yum yum yum yum! The cake looks divine, and I'm sure it's all gone by now, so no need to buy a plane ticket to devour it now, hmmm?

Kelley said...

Quin's birthday is Tuesday and when I asked what he wanted for dinner he said "Chocolate Cake". No meal, just the cake. I was thinking to purchase the cake at Sam's Club but you have inspired me..... Of course it would be really good on top of grits. LOL!

Heth said...

Linda. It has cream of tartar in it. That is baking taken to a whole new level. Good work girl.