Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Day 2 of My Month Off Work, Makes Me Wanna Dance

It's day two already? Geesh. Time is flying, and I don't like that.

Speaking of not liking things, I'm having an issue with my Christian radio station. They keep playing SC Chapman's song "I Dance with Cinderella" at the exact moment I turn on the radio, every. single. time.

People, this is the saddest song ev-er for a couple of reasons, the first being the loss that the Chapman family recently experienced. Secondly, when your Cinderella is already "growed-up," it tugs at your heart strings because you miss your little girl. Also, it tempts you to feel guilty about not dancing enough with your Cinderella.

The song has the same effect on me as World Vision commercials. Only with World Vision or Compassion or whoever, you can do something about the sadness; you can give. But when your kid is grown, that's it; you can't go back in time.

Neither of my girls was the Cinderella type, meaning they were never that into princesses or dancing with Daddy, etc. But the song makes me feel guilty somehow, like I should have made sure they had the "Cinderella experience."

I have to say that we did dance quite a bit to some quirky songs in our kitchen as they grew up, and that would include my son as well, who loved to dance to Disney's "You Ain't Never Had a Friend Like Me" from Aladdin.

Our Cinderellas and our Prince liked to get down to the Beach Boys' "Barbara Ann" and Aladdin's "A Whole New World," or "Wold," as my son pronounced it. To sum up our dancing, if the jam was funky and fast, we boogied. No glass slippers.

Here is like a 20 second video of my two oldest when they were about 6 and 3, lip synching and dancing to "A Whole New Wold." Note of explanation: they would watch their own reflections in the glass patio doors, so Jorge took the camera on the other side of the glass and taped all of the hammy emoting and wack-a-do shimmy-ing. Keep in mind that these are now grown people who will be voting in the next Presidential Election. Scary.

17 comments:

Stacy said...

I totally understand. I hear that song all of the time and I think of my Emily. Every monday night during "Dancing with the Stars" season, she and her daddy dance along with the show in the middle of the living room.

Even though she's only 4, my heart gets a little sad because I know that it won't last forever and she'll soon be gone.

Tammy said...

That video is so precious!!

I did not have the Cinderella relationship with my father either. I think in some ways I may have missed out.

My husband has done everything possible to create and nourish the daughter/father relationship. Daddy's little girl turned 7 today! Before I know it, she will be old enough to vote!

PJ said...

Enjoy your month!!! That's about how long I have . . . though it's supposed to be eleven weeks! I just finished with school work (outside of school) and church work yesterday. Yep. The first of July (Oh, I did take a week to go marry my niece) and I'm beginning summer vacation...and it just started to storm. You are a much more sympatico mom than me. No way sleeping kids would keep me from coffee....I'd tiptoe through the tulips and make some ever so quietly (I hope) And I know what you mean about the song..Butterfly Kisses always makes me cry. I never even had a girl, but it still makes me cry!!!

Kelley said...

I cannot listen to that song either. I really shelter myself as to what I watch or listen to (nothing too sad, nothing too violent, nothing too scary, nothing too vulger...) I can't even watch Little House reruns for fear of crying.

When my big girls were little we listened to the Spice Girls a lot. That was pretty racy at the time. Last week as we drove to see "Panda" we all listened to a homemade CD of "summer time" music. Everything from Beach Boys to Sheryl Crow to the Grease soundtrack. Now those are some classics.

Sorry about the long comment, I will try to control myself next time!!

Laurie Ann said...

Enjoy your vacation! I know what you mean. That song just breaks my heart. Talk radio in the afternoon's has become my friend, LOL. Otherwise I'll boo-hoo all the way home from work. Our Christian radio station has played it so much you'd think I'd have become desensitized to it, but nope! Break out the kleenex! It sounds like you made wonderful memories with your kids. That video is too cute! My bonus daughter was too tomboyish to do the princess and cinderella thing. She always wanted to be the lead - or the Genie in Aladdin, hah hah.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

That is too cute. I love how your son is trying to really draw his mouth open, wide, down and to the side. He even has a little tongue action going on there. Precious.

Do you have a Lifeway up near you? I saw how you said you'd like that job on Connie's blog.

Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.
Much appreciated.

littlerad said...

Linda,
Thank you for visiting my blog... Yeah I love working at Lifeway, it is amazing, I have the chance all most every day to share and witness...
I love the video, I remember doing the same things with my kids in the kitchen...

I get teary eyed when I hear that song...
Connie
GBU

Marina said...

That song really makes me sad I can't listen to :(!
But I just love your kids dancing too cute they are having so much fun and they are so cute!!:)!!,marina

Pam from alertandorientedx4.blogspot.com said...

Too cute!!!
(did they hokey-pokey, too, like Larry? Couldn't resist!)

My name is Phyllis said...

I'm cinderella'd out too...honestly, I was before the Chapman family tragedy, but it's just so much worse now...

And your video of the kids was not nearly long enough. Too cute.

I really don't think it matters HOW you dance...just so you do. =)

Teri said...

Listen Linda...it isn't too late to give your girls a Cinderella experience. Hand them a rag and a bucket and tell the to get to work!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist! My six year old is SO happy to "Play Cinderella" with me as she washes my kitchen floor! I am not even kidding. Yeah, it will probably cost me a fortune sending her to therapy over it...but you know what? I'll take that chance :) )

Alison said...

Oh the little video clip is hilarious! I used to sing and dance to almost any Disney song! In fact, my neices do not like to watch "The Little Mermaid" with me because I sing LOUDLY all the songs in the movie!

DidiLyn said...

I loved the vid! I watched it four times. Those kids had moves!

annie's eyes said...

I love the video! Cinderella and dancing with daddy is just sad. Time goes by so very quickly-whether it's days of vacation or seasons of our lives. Love you, Annette

Kimberly said...

We don't have a lot of video footage of the kids, but recently came across some while packing. We're going to have to get them copied onto DVDs! It's so fun to watch them, isn't it?! Hoping that your month home will be full of family, friends and FUN. A little R & R wouldn't hurt either :-)

Mocha with Linda said...

That song breaks me up too. I don't see how SCC is going to sing it when he starts touring again next week.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Your video about made me cry! I spose your kids wouldn't do another version of that this summer, would they? And then maybe you could put the videos up side-by-side so we could see how they changed? Purely for research reasons, of course.