Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Oo-La-La ~ A Spare Oom! Slideshow

One of the best days I've had during my month as a SAHM was when my college daughter Kaylin (Katie) and I went to a brand new outdoor mall about 30 miles away to spend the day shopping together. So fun.

Can I just say that this is why, when I was pregnant for her and did not know her sex, truly desired a girl? I wanted at least one girl who would someday go shopping with me on a day just like this day. I mean, now I can take her and not even have to put her in a booster chair in the restaurant. Not once did she hide in the racks or put things in her mouth. I didn't even have to make sure she was home in time for her nap. Now she just has to get home in time to go to work, and I don't even have to carry her back to the car. This mom-thing is looking up all the time! Ha.

The new mall is designed to be welcoming and quaint, with brick roundabouts and somewhat ornate store facades. Some stores that we do not have in Muncie were: Steinmart, Ulta, New York & Co., Bed, Bath and Beyond and a few others. We have always had to go to Indy to visit those (60 miles).

At Steinmart, I found a plaque that says, "One Shoe Can Change Your Life ~ Cinderella." This totally fits the theme of a room I've been re-doing, so I was thrilled to snatch it up for $12.99.

We ate at Q-Doba. Then Katie found two pairs of shoes at Payless and some pants, a skirt and earrings at NY & Co. We found great deals at NY & Co, some 70% off. I bought two pairs of capris and a bracelet.

At Bed, Bath and Beyond, I found a wonderful wall hanging that also fits the theme of the room. It's called "Ballooning Over Paris, 1890." At Hobby Lobby, I found a little "Paris" plaque and a sweet lamp in the mold of the Eiffel, at 50% off. Ooh-la-la.

I don't know why this happens, but every time I re-decorate a room, I tend to do it in a very old-fashioned, feminine way. I don't set out to do that. The way this room started was that I found a bedding set in robin's egg blue that I just loved on clearance at Kohls. Then, we had to place an "odd" dresser (the one I had in my set as a child and which both of my girls have used), a white French Provencal, in that room. So, little by little, the room became a turn-of-the-century Parisian guest quarters.

My 19 year-old son said, "No self-respecting male would EVER sleep in this room." To which I replied, "Tu a une abeille dans ton capot, Madamoiselle, et ton pantalons, ils sont nou├ęs," which, roughly translated is: "You have a bee in your bonnet, Miss, and your pants are in a knot." Ooh-la-la.

Anyway, this is Katie's former bedroom, which used to be bright sunshiny yellow with dragonflies and butterflies painted all over the walls (by her at 16). It's a little less happy now, (please feel free to read between the lines there) but I have a new Spare Oom, so that's good. Someday it will probably be the grandkids' room, but for now, it is definitely a "Fifi's chambre room." I think Zoe thinks it's hers.


28 comments:

Chatty Kelly said...

I love the decor - so neat. And the slideshow - amazing. My favorites are the iron dress form, the shoe tea light holder and the Cinderella plaque over the vintage shoes. Everything pulls together so nicely.

Come do my house next?

And p.s. - my daughters are 4 & 8, so I loved your shopping story - I look forward to days like that, even as I enjoy these crazy days.

Heth said...

Now THAT is a motto I can live by. If one shoe can change your life, what can a whole closet full do? Wheee!

It looks great.

The Heerens said...

Love the room. Very nice and pulled together. And if real men can wear pink, a sel-respecting man CAN sleep in there too. LOL

On the topic of shopping, my twin girls are just going off to college next month (*sniff, sniff*) and we have recently started having shopping days like you mention. So much fun!

Susan said...

I think it's just wonderful and quite welcoming. I can't WAIT to do my "pink room". My problem is...it's getting FURTHER away as my boys decide they're going to "stay a bit longer"! OY!

:-) susan

Debbie said...

I like Zoe's, I mean, your guest room.

Lorri said...

I love the room! So cute. I think if a self-respecting man can *play on the rug* in the room, then he certainly can sleep in the bed. :)

I can't wait for fun shopping days. My daughter (who is 10) goes with me, but if I try on clothes, she turns into Stacy London from What Not To Wear (and not the funny nice Stacy, the mean sassy Stacy). Then she gets tired quick and wants to go home. That's after 1/2 hour at Target. /sigh. Well soon it will change!

Great post!

Teri said...

I am getting all inspired to re-do my daughters room! I absolutely love the scripture picture you have in there. The one with the crown...gotta find that one and decorate her room around it!

I love what you have done!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Love the shoe wall! :)
And I LOVE the Spare Oom title.

Cindy Swanson said...

I love it, Linda! For some reason, I have a weakness for anything to do with Paris. The bathroom my daughter and I use in our house is Paris-themed. I painted it a pale pink and use mostly black accessories. Even the shower curtain has a French fashion theme (got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond), and most of the decorative touches are from Hobby Lobby. Very girly!

Interestingly, I'm planning a Spare Oom re-decoration as well. Our guest room has ZERO personality. It's nice and spacious, and the furniture is nice. Any ideas would be welcome!

By the way, thanks for the slide show...I love stuff like that!

skoots1mom said...

i think a little iron "zoe" bed would finish it off nicely, and maybe an old chandelier hanging from the light fixture! definitely makes a cute theme and inviting room...good job!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I LOVE this!! You are so clever. Great and cozy. The prints over the mirror are a nice accent!

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Oh my word...I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my dresser in your room. The white one...actually, mine was longer than that. But I had that same mirror with the curly cue corners. The white with the gold etched trim. Wow. I had the whole suit with night stand, desk, dresser, mirror, and canopy BED! Amazing.

I love your Cinderella quote as it fits so perfectly into the room.

Love Bears All Things said...

I love the room, it looks like a very inviting place for a guest or just a retreat for the woman of the house.
I know what you mean about a daughter. My daughter and I have a special bond. We've always found time for a girl's only trip each year since she was in high school. Now, she has her own daughter, who's 7 going on 16. We three often go out shopping together.
Mama Bear

Susanne said...

How "Martha-ish" of you! I never would have thought of a Paris theme. It turned out beautiful. I love that Eiffel tower light. And the Cinderella motto is my new favorite quote.

Cyndy said...

Simply lovely dahhling! I love the robin's egg blue comforter! Zoe looks absolutely fab on it.

...and if a man is tired enough he will sleep anywhere...even in a pink, flowery little girl's room.

Mike said...

Wow.


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/


Looking for photo ideas? Please visit 12 Photo Ideas To Try This Summer

usafcole said...

I remember that dresser. Deven ended up with two bedroom sets that I had growing up. The canopy bed ended up back at my dad's house and eventually broke because some of the grandkids decided it was a trampoline.

You did a great job redecorating.

Marina said...

Love your home everthing !!! and your floors are pretty.
We must of been at the same place today I was at New York&Co, and found some great deals for my trip to the beach.:)
marina

Kelley said...

First the blog and now the bedroom! You are on a roll. It does feel good to freshen up a space though, doesn't it? I am trying to pull a guest room together for this weekend. Lelia and some of her kids are coming to visit. YEA!! I sure miss all of you guys. Maybe I can come to Muncie and shop with you sometime, I have never been to Indiana.....

Ronda's Rants said...

So beautiful...I love it!

Vicki said...

We're just getting ready to "do over" a bathroom in red, black and white with European black accents. I WANT the Eiffel tower lamp!! I've already looked up where to buy it! Hopefully someday one will reside at my home.

Roxanne said...

Very pretty. . .you can tell you had fun with it, and the theme is so fun!!!!. I love the oval scripture plaque.

Pam from alertandorientedx4.blogspot.com said...

Of course Zoe believes it's hers...why wouldn't she? And I love the whole shopping thing, too, even tho' dau is in middle school. Oldest son is a hoot, tho! He likes to shop almost as much as me...unfortunately, his favorite brand, is not CLEARANCE...mine is!

Cindy said...

I think I have that exact white dresser when I grew up with, my niece used as a little girl and now my daughter has in her room. They don't make furniture like that anymore. I did have to give up a fresh coat of paint and she wasn't crazy about the gold accents so we painted them a soft periwinkle to go with her Tinker Bell green walls! I am also encouraged by your shopping story. My daughter is 8 and beginning to show some promising signs of enjoying a day out shopping with mom, although she still thinks its funny to hide in the clothes rack.

Darlene R. said...

Beautiful room! It's so funny that Zoe thinks it's hers!
I love the Paris by Night slide!

Mocha with Linda said...

I had the chest of drawers and the lingerie chest from that set, I do believe! Too funny.

That looks like a room fit for the quaintest B & B. So charming and welcoming. I'll be right there. . . .

Photo Buffet said...

Linda, my paint cans are on a sheet-draped table out in my living room as I type. I'm taping and filling nail holes...and taking a break to catch up on blog posts. And what do I run into, but your beautiful room?

I'm inspired.
Would you come help me paint?

Jendi said...

It's lovely.
I especially like the Paris by night picture.
I don't think it's too feminine. I've seen ones that are much more frilly.