Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Today is the First Day of the Rest of My Life -or- The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Moms ... & a Book Winner


Do you know what today is?

July 1 st, you say?

Oh, it is so much more than that, my friends.

It's the first day of the rest of my life, that's all. At least my "free" life of one whole month, from July 1 to July 31, when I am on leave from work. But technically, it's from from July 1 - August 4 because July 31st falls on a Friday; therefore, I won't return to the office until Monday, August 4.

Can you tell I've been thinking about this a lot?

Not that I don't love my job. Or my boss and co-workers, who I'm sure are hard at work today ministering to kids:









It's just that my mind has been reeling with plans. Pressed down, shaken-together, overflowing, "I know the plans I have for me," kind of off-work-for-a-month plans.

But as we moms know, life happens, and sometimes, you have to put off starting your July diet until after "The Great Pancake Breakfast Sugar Feast" of July 1 is over.

You all know I've had a house guest in the evenings this week. She and her boyfriend will be back tonight and tomorrow night, and then they fly out Thursday morning. That was a plan change, but I'm OK with it.

Then I forgot that the 9th and 10th grade girls' summer Bible study meets at my house Monday nights, so I had to get ready for that last night. That was a plan change, but I was OK with it.

Then my daughter asked if two girls could spend the night. That was a plan change, but, etc.

This morning, I rose to enjoy my morning cup of coffee on my first day off, but the girls were asleep in our family room, so no coffee. I stayed in bed, read the Bible, cleaned out my husband's sock drawer, still didn't have coffee, folded a load of laundry, colored my hair, for Pete's sake, still with no coffee, and finally was released from my cell when the girls awoke.

Then my daughter asked if I could please make pancakes, and I said yes because this month, I am a SAHM once again. Making pancakes seemed so ... momish.

I even cleaned out the stalactites in the microwave.

I should be awarded the Golden Apron or something.

Then I spent TWO hours helping my son with something I never thought I'd be doing when he was 19: managing his snot. Yeah, you read that right. Summer cold, probably sinus infection, so finally, at my wit's end, I bought him a Neti Pot. It was easier and less frustrating teaching him to drive than to use that thing, but that's another post.

So it's now 1:34 pm, and if I were at work, I'd be thinking, "I'm done in one half hour. Gee, if I were home in the mornings like I used to be, I could get so much more accomplished at home." Right.

Therefore, I have not exercised, pulled weeds, written anything worthwhile, or washed the dog. And yet ... there was this strange sense of satisfaction in hearing the girls laugh at breakfast and in hearing my son ranting and raving about how much he loves oxygen and actual breathing, etc., and I feel rather ... gulp ... satisfied.

And to think I almost emailed my boss, "Can I come back yet??"

**WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER**

Well, not a chicken dinner, but the book The Moon in the Mango Tree.

Random Integer Generator
Here are your random numbers:

9

Timestamp: 2008-07-01 17:54:19 UTC

The lucky number 9 is Mary Christina at Still Be My Vision. Hapy reading!

18 comments:

Miscellaneous From Missy said...

I'm amazed you could get so much done without coffee. There should be an award just for that!

Lelia Chealey said...

I loved this post Linda. To see that even though you didn't get much checked off the 'to-do' list you just were there.

Thanks for your prayers dear friend. So tough, but God is all over this.

She has the camera I took to She Speaks as it is her camera and besides her baby and car which she couldn't take either with her she took the only valuable thing left: her camera. With my She Speaks memories in them .So hopefully she won't get too mad at me and erase my pics. :) So if the owner ever returns with the camera then I'll send you our picture we took at dinner. The edible dinner. I just loved the picture. It's very happy. After all,you were posing with "a model" for goodness sake! ;)
Love you! Enjoy your time at home.
Lelia

Jerri Phillips said...

I am so laughing because I am a SAHM, and I SO understand!!!!

I think it was John Lennon (and this is the ONLY time you'll hear me quote him) who said, "Life is what happens when you are busy making plans." I'm glad your day was full of good life today!

Marina said...

Welcome to the world of being a Sahm!! at least for awhile I am sure you will have losts of time for blogging :) The dairies of Linda Crow as SAHM for one month LOL!!
can't wait to hear all about it.
marina

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Since you'll have so much time on your hands, why don't you come down to Blgtn and get the stelagtites out of my microwave and we can chat when you're done?

Susanne said...

Holy Smokes, you dyed your hair with no coffee? You are one brave soul.

I always have this huge list of things to accomplish on my time off but it never seems to happen.

Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories said...

I hear ya. I am home all day and I still wonder why I don't get more done. It's a mystery. Well, actually, it's not. I'm blaming it on the blog.

Enjoy your time off - good for you!

Carol said...

Enjoy your time off! :)

Tammy said...

Hey, Linda...I had to stop by again and see what I was missing...
And wow, I do award you the golden apron because I can just make it down the stairs and get the coffee maker started...anything past that before caffeine and it's just not working!

I've been busier than I thought so far this summer too...and today was my daughter's birthday, so there were all those many tiny details going on this week!

I miss hearing from you...hope you can stop by again some time.
Enjoy your month off- no matter how industrious or lazy you are, it's all good!

gcrow said...

Can't wait for the Neti pot post and pix

Sandy said...

I can totally understand. I am a summer SAHM since I am a teacher.
Don't do it....Don't......
Don't email your boss and ask to come go back!! :) Savor the summer. Great post!

Merrie said...

You continuously amaze me! I would have NEVER thought of cleaning out a sock drawer!
But, I do understand that enjoying the kids(in my case GRANDkids) IS the ultimate satisfaction of a mom and worth all the change of plans!

Elizabeth said...

I didn't know you still read my journal. I still read yours all the time but I'm usually nursing at the time and I don't feel like typing a one handed response ;)

Mocha with Linda said...

Well glad to hear you are alive and well. Or at least alive. :-) I was beginning to wonder what happened to you. You are one of the first blogs I check in the morning. It's always better to drink coffee with a Lid.

Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures at home! Wow, Zoe will not know what to think! Doggy heaven!

Cindy Swanson said...

Linda, my oldest son is the one who told me about the Neti pot concept...specifically a product called SinuCleanse. He swears by it...actually uses it regularly to stave off sinus infections and even help alleviate snoring.

I use it only as a measure of desperation--i.e., when I can't breathe at all!--but I must say it's VERY effective!

samurai said...

Go forth and celebrate! \o/ May your leave of absence from work be all that you want it to be... and so much more!

Genny said...

Wow you got a lot done! Good for you!

Gretchen said...

Lurve the pizza stalactites! And thanks for participating in the book giveaway.

Blessings on your "free" month.