Wednesday, August 27, 2008

How to Upload Your Video for "I See What You're Saying"



Upon reading about the September 30th extravaganza also known as the I See What You're Saying Video-Carnival Meet & Greet thing originating right here at 2nd Cup, many of you commented, "Lid, I'd like to participate in this, but I don't know jack about posting videos. Can you please help me?" First of all, when did you start saying, "I don't know jack?"

Girlfriends, it is time to learn to post a video of your own. There is nothing to fear but fear itself, and airports, of course.

There are a couple of ways you can post a video, which I share below. But the first thing you have to do is save that video on your computer under "My Videos," just like you do your pics in "My Pictures." That is the place where you will upload your video from.

To save your video on your computer you'll need the following:
* A camera (hopefully digital)
* A computer with the right port (the slot that the cable goes into)
* A cable with ends that fit your camera
* Video software (Windows Movie Maker, Arcsoft Showbiz, etc.)

If you have a digital video camera, follow these: instructions. (You don't have to use Movie Maker. Other video software works similarly.)

If you have a non-digital (analog) video camera, you'll need a video capture card. This card will have the yellow, white, and red audio/video jacks that used to be common on TV's and VCR's. If you don't have one, you can Google "video capture card" to find out where you can purchase an external device that plugs into a USB port on your computer.

Now let's talk about uploading that saved video. It takes a while for everything to process; you won't be able to see it immediately. Usually there's some little doohicky on the page (like an hourglass emptying) that lets you know it's working on it. If you use Google to do this, little colorful balls will roll back and forth on the page. Do not be alarmed. You are not being hypnotized, unless you want to be.

If you use Blogger, go to this page: this page for instructions, or if you'd like to see a two-minute tutorial, watch this video.



If you do not use Blogger, try uploading with Google. Here you will just click through easy steps demonstrating how to do it. This is how I've done mine in the past.

Trust me, after you learn this, you'll be slapping yourself on the forehead for not learning this earlier. In fact, you'll be so grateful, you'll probably include me in your will. Note: I don't have any china, so earmark yours to go to "Lid." And no, I'm not going to give you step by step instructions about how to do a will. And you should be glad.

Now, you just have to come up with your subject! If you can't think of anything, consider posting about why you blog. I can't wait to see what you're saying!

21 comments:

LZ Blogger said...

Linda ~ Actually... I did know Jack! But he won't admit it! ~ jb///

annie's eyes said...

Okay. I think I even have a subject, which of course is the first of several obstacles. You are determined to make us tech savvy. I think this sounds fun to see everyone else's so I can't just be a spectator 'cuz if everyone thought like I do, well..."I See What You're Saying" would only exist in our minds. Profound, I know. I'll get busy.
Love, Annette

Beverlydru said...

This should be very interesting indeed. I'm sure I can figure this out. Thanks for the encouragement.
This is the right time for that saying, "where there's a will there's a way."

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

THANK YOU for doing this...it woulda been Sept. 2012 before I'd figure this out!

BTW, Sept. 30 is my baby's birthday! :-)

mamajil said...

Thanks for the instruction....I think with this post and a Handy Dandy Techy Teen I might be able to participate in the meet and greet!
:)

BTW thanks for stopping by my blog!
Have a great day!

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Totally understandable! Adding the video instructions was a nice touch. You are such a computer genius.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Well, that is the first and only time anyone will ever utter the words, "computer genius" with the pronoun "you" in the same sentence.

Dena @ Green Acres said...

Printing out these instructions and handing them off to my son, because seriously...it's still over my head. That's how UN-tech savy I am. LOL Thanks for the help. He'll appreciate it.

Rick said...

Thanks, I keep forgetting that my digital camera will do video, and I've been thinking about uploading a video to my blog. I'm glad that I happened to be passing through.

ann said...

I think I can do this! The instructions are very easy to follow with pictures and everything. It's a really fun idea. Even if I chicken out and don't make a video I'll still have fun watching everybody else's!

Greg C said...

Thanks for the help. After fighting computer virus' for the past three days, I consider myself a computer flop.

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I just practiced by taking a video of my coffee cup and putting it in a post...TOTALLY WORKED!

You rock, Lid.

"see" ya on the 30th ;)

proudgrits11 said...

Ok, still, I am totally into this idea--and I'm going to start now practicing and making sure it'll work!! I'm gonna be brave!! Thanks for the tips--I think I can figure it out, I used YouTube once and it worked fine, with hubby's help.
Your "safe thoughts" cracked me up!I do that, I just didn't know what to call it! I tour a pretend model home, although that does get me too excited sometimes. I walk the halls of my former high school or mentally go through my closet, trying to recount certain outfits...but then again, i'm usually so exhausted, I don't need tricks!! :)
Thanks again--"see you" soon!! You are making a video, right????
-Tab

Tammy said...

Wow...you almost have me talked into this whole thing now that you spelled everything out so easy-like.
(And when did I start using the term, "easy-like"?) ;)

Rena Gunther said...

I've been here before...

Likin' the blog! ;)

Rena Gunther

Kim said...

I linked to your blog through WFMW.... love it and look forward to being a reader!

Becky said...

I'll be there! Just for clarification: I post the video on my blog? Of any subject. Do I have to show my face? I have issues...seriously. :-p

jennifer said...

I think I can do this!!! I know how to post video. I guess I was thinking that it had to be a "live" post.

Now... what to post???

Lots o'pressure! I have a month to figure it out, though!!

Thanks for the invite!

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, I'm afraid if I get started. I'll never stop. My youngest started crawling and I know my family would love to see it. But, I suppose I'd have to come up with something different for the 30th. What fun!

Becoming Me said...

Thanks for visiting me. I've been here before and do enjoy your posts. Hmmmm...I will def. do this if I can get my video posted...we honestly are having technical issues...but if I can, I will...promise.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

okay why is everyone in blogland cooler bthan me? this is the greatest idea ever. can i make a video with my laptop webcam ??