Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Summer Tag & the Tale of Three Al's

*First of all, the hog roast benefit for my friend Diane went really well. She left a note on my desk for me to see this morning saying, "I had the time of my life." That meant the world to me. Thank you so much for praying for her on Sunday's post. I'm going to print it off and send it to her. Her love language is words of affirmation, so others' prayers mean a lot to her. Thank you, you all. I love you for being so kind to someone you've never met.*

Remember summer nights when you were a kid? Right about dusk, a game of tag would inevitably break out. You were chased by other kids and mosquitoes. Oh what fun, until the neighbor's dog, Cracker, thought you were chasing his kid and so he jumped up and bit you, knocking you to the ground where you tore up your knee. Good times.

I got a little behind on my tag "game," recently, but I'm catching up now. I think I stalled because when your life's an open book on your blog, it's difficult to come up with 6 things people don't already know about you.

Now that I've said that, it's a little disturbing.

Anyway, this week, Cyndy at Walking Faithfully, Sonya at Truth 4 the Journey, Mary at Keep the Light Shining, Kelly at Wonder Woman Wonders and Jen at Today at Jen's House all tagged me. I'm throwing this one out there to whoever wants to play. I'm sure you know the rules by now, so I'm not going to bore you with them. If you MUST know the rules, click on one of the taggers above, who played by the rules. Basically, the rule is: "Tell us 6 Private or Embarrassing Things About Yourself and then Entrap Someone Else!"

1. I know what's going on here; do you? I know because I love to "research" stuff on the Internet. So one night, July 4th, as a matter of fact, my girlfriends and I were sitting on a patio sipping drinks and admiring our spousal studs who were engaged in a game of cut-throat Ladder Ball, when one friend spied a couple of bugs in this position. We all had guesses about what was going on: "bugs in love," "bugs at war," "mother bug clinging to college offspring bug who is trying to move out," etc. So we watched them for like, a long time. Just sipping. And watching. That night, as soon as I got home I researched lightning bugs and found out that they were indeed, doing the "Jitterbug of Love" or making their own fireworks, wink, wink. I emailed all of my friends who were there, and so we all slept well after that mystery was solved. (BTW, This is the main reason they let me stay in the group. I do all of their thinking for them, and another one of us reads everything aloud for the rest of us. We're like an organism.)

Geez. We're only on number 2? Sometimes, when I can't think of what to post about, I post a picture, and it gives me something to talk about. Only it didn't work this time. This is a clever picture of me thinking. Now you can see why the group relies on my cogitations.


3. My kids turned me on to Cute Overload, where you view dumb things like kittens and hamsters "talking" in a strange baby-talk language full of phonetic renderings of words. If you know me and how I feel about Zoe, you can see why this appeals to me. It's about as addicting as Free Rice but on the extreme opposite end of the intelligence spectrum. But "I haz happiness" when I "seez" the cutenesses.


4. When I was little, I had an imaginary friend named "Tacko," not to be confused with the common "taco." In my head, Tacko looked similar to, but not exactly like, Alvin of the Chipmunks. I don't know whatever happened to my imaginary friend. Perhaps all cute imaginary friends retire to Cuteness Overload Land, like ancient movie stars guest starring on Love Boat.


5. Speaking of Alvin, my mother claims we are related to Sgt. Alvin C. York, who did something fabulous, just fabulous, in one of our wars. You can see that I have thoroughly studied my genealogy and US history. The reason I don't take Mom's claim seriously is that 7/8 of all Indiana residents hail from Jamestown, TN, home of ... Sgt. Alvin C. York. So really, it's like the whole York family is having a reunion here in Indiana every day! Yee-ha. Sometimes we congregate to watch the Colts, who are related to and named after "Alvin C.(Colts) York." Here is Sgt. York, whom his family just calls, "Al."

6. Speaking of calling people "Al," I have always loved to sing "You Can Call Me Al" by Paul Simon. It's a great singing-in-the-shower song. So many clever lyrics--don't know what in the world the song is about except maybe man's confusion and anxiety about feeling detached while longing for community due to his inherent desire to integrate and belong, but that's just my armchair analysis. This is a long video, so you might not want to hang in there for the whole thing. Plus the melody is insidious, but I'm still leaving you with "You Can Call Me Al," featuring Paul Simon and Chevy Chase, when Chevy Chase was still actually likable. (He traded being funny for political stumping. Not prudent at any juncture.) I'm warning you; the chorus is addictive.





I was also blessed with an award from Rachel at Christians in Good Company and Susanne at Living to Tell the Story. Thanks, guys. Girls. Women. Y'all.

24 comments:

annie's eyes said...

"We're like an organism" cracked me up. You are a joy over coffee in the morning. And that is about the best definition of good friends (maybe a little co-dependent) I have heard. Love, Annette

Chatty Kelly said...

You should not blog about lightening bugs doing the deed, and than write the word organism in the same sentence. I had to read it twice, because of course I thougth you were using a similar word associated with the deed. Of course than I laughed myself silly.

And may I say when they said pick 6 RANDOM things to tell, you win the price for randomness. Wow.

Tag & Weblog awards. Different, yet the same, no? Rules, rules. I'm blogging about that tomorrow.

R.L.Scovens said...

We love you!

Beck said...

Ah, there's nothing like the happy memory of dog bites... I have many jolly late night memories of playing after dark in the summer but my own kids still go to bed at 8. Because I am MEAN.

Mocha with Linda said...

Chatty Kelly beat me too it. I, too, did a double-take at the word organism in that paragraph.

You totally crack me up.

Mrs. Who said...

I am also the one in our group who does the research and reports back. In fact, they often assign me that duty as they languidly wave their wine glasses about. Seriously. I also seem to be the only one who can tell when something is an urban legend. They never learn. They are constantly forwarding emails to me about women being accosted in shopping mall parking lots as their cell phones ignite the gasoline fumes or some such nonsense.

Susanne said...

Well, your randomness beats my randomness hands down. Were you the one who guessed the "mother bug clinging to college offspring bug who is moving out"? Cause I totally would have guessed that too!

Smilingsal said...

I don't know if I should thank you for enriching my knowledge of bugs, but all right, thanks!

Cyndy said...

giggle giggle giggle

*snort*

...yeah that organism sentence had me going for a minute too....

And is Chevy Chase really tall or is Paul Simon really short? Song now looping in my head....

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

You are seriously one of the funniest people I know.

:-)

thouartloosed said...

I just enjoy the tar out of your blog.
Continuing to pray for Diane.

Jen said...

I LOVED the Paul Simon video. Who knew he was so funny? Of course, Carrie Fisher married him at one point, and she's funny. So there had to be something there.

Always a pleasure -- I depend on you, you know --
xox

skoots1mom said...

You always crack me up over my coffee...makes the beginning of my day! I never expected "organism"...the APA's definition sounds pretty appropriate.

Organism...any COMPLEX THING... having properties...determined not only by the properties and RELATIONS of its individual parts, but by the CHARACTER OF THE WHOLE they compose...by the relations of the parts to the whole.(American Psychological Association (APA) http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/organism)

And, in honor of the Olympics, here it is in --
Chinese ("Simplified"): 有机体

samurai said...

8-| Wow, the things you read that catch you off guard! :D

Thank you for another smile inducing read. :)

lisabella said...

"Remember summer nights when you were a kid? Right about dusk, a game of tag would inevitably break out. You were chased by other kids and mosquitoes."

Do I ever! Although, we played a very politically incorrect game we called Smear the Queer. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Those were the days! Thanks for the memory!

crickl's nest said...

The love bugs! I've gone blind! heehee

I loved the video! I swiped it for my blog too but am sending peeps your way, cuz you found it first. I love Paul and Chevy both and never saw this....very fun!

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

you are just so funny...

I have missed coming here... missed my second cup... so I'm going to get back... for my "fix"...

I laughed at the comments too... I did the same thing...

I'll never forget in the world of medicine one of my cohorts.. reading a lab report to the doc... some organisms.. but she didn't say organisms... we were rolling in the floor.. she finally got it...

Becky said...

Great post! Thank you for randomly filling us in about your quirks. I love how you describe your group of friends.

6justmyopinion said...

I so agree with "thouartloosed". i enjoy your blog so much. I really like all the little things on the side, and I have no idea how to do that. It makes things so fun.
I, too, am praying for your friend. I am a 17 year cancer survivor. Praise the Lord. I hate that anyone has to go through it.
Thank you so much, please stop by anytime.
Barb (http://6justmyopinion.wordpress,com)

Nadine said...

You are very funny. Thanks for the laugh.

Congratulations on your award.

Grafted Branch@Restoring the Years said...

Love the lightning bugs story..especially when you likened it to the mom trying to cling to the college-bound kid. :)

And thanks for your kind greeting over at my daughter's baptism post.

Edie said...

"Tell us 6 Private or Embarrassing Things About Yourself and then Entrap Someone Else!" - So you tell us something private and embarrassing about bugs!? And even take pictures!? LOL. I love to research too. Random questions usually end with "Let's Google it!" I once watched a Discovery Channel show about the African Dung Beetle. I hate insects! I tried to change the channel but the darned bug was just too intreguing(sp?).

As always, love your posts!

Lelia Chealey said...

I can't believe you didn't share any of this while sitting side by side at She Speaks!!! You really held out on me Linda! ;)

Susan said...

I don't know HOW I missed this post yesterday, but it sure did a lot to wake me up this morning. Singin, *Let me be your bodyguard, and I can be your long lost Paal!!*

Toooo funny, Linda...and you WORRY about what to say to kids tonight?????