Monday, August 04, 2008

Party. It's a Good Thing.
















Here are the promised pics from the last 9th & 10th grade girls' Bible study that met at my house on Monday evenings. At our last meeting, we grilled dogs and ate fruit (a staple each Monday night, esp. fresh pineapple) and then finished with a Sundae bar! Please check out the cute cups in the photo below because all of that color is really "wild" for me. It was a zany party because -- Woo--colored cups! Click on that sundae pic, and you will notice (please) Reese's Pieces, M & M's, crushed Andes, crushed Oreos, cherries, nuts ... Did I ever tell you I'm bilingual? I speak dessert.

Point of interest: Every single person in this group came wearing at least one item of green except for the blonde standing behind the sofa who is holding a green shirt because she wanted to fit in. There was no "green day" memo. All of these people wore green of their own volition and without consultation. I did not, but that's Ok because I'm the photographer! My kid is next to the one in green stripes. She and the blonde have been friends since preschool or before, if you count church nursery.

Funny story: when they were preschoolers, Blondie was playing at our house, but it was time to go home. I noticed she had money in her hands and asked where she found it, and she said that my daughter gave it to her as a gift. It was a $20 dollar bill! I cracked up. At that age, girls are always giving each other gifts, coloring pictures for each other, etc., so Kristin just decided she'd bless Blondie with $20, with no clue about the value or that doling out cash is tacky--unless you're the mom of a teenager who's just heading out the door, in which case it's the height of coolness.

We still laugh about it with them, joking that Kristin had to pay Blondie to be her friend. What's really weirding me out is that this girl is driving now. How is it possible that she is pulling into our driveway by herself? She's only about 6 months older than my girl. How are they growing up so fast? When will this growing up and away stuff end??

24 comments:

Susan said...

Everything looks so wodnerful. It's funny when everyone shows up in the same color...at school we joke about "getting the memo". I think it speaks to some sort of connection, I don't know.

I'm lovin' the sundae bar! Fun.

:-) Susan

Chatty Kelly said...

Green MUST be the new black for the teen crowd. How many of them had painted black nails. Because black is the new red in nail polish. ay-ya-ya. How do you keep up?

Mocha with Linda said...

I am so with you on the all of that color is really "wild" for me. It was a zany party because -- Woo--colored cups!

And you can speak "bilingual" to me anytime!

What fun!

Teri said...

I SO would have been there!

Love me some girls!

Looks like you had a great group!

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I want to come to one of your sundae parties! :)

So... I see your kitchen cabinets in the background. Any plans to change out the hardware on your kitchen makeover? :)

Kelley said...

And you say you're not a hostess. HA! I think this looks like the perfect party. What a great Mom your daughter has!!!

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Oh my! How fun. Ahh ... to be that young again and to be able to eat sundaes again ... those were the good ol' days.

On second thought, no way am I ever going back to that age, especially in this day and time. Times are too hard for girls nowadays!

What a cute group!

Nadine said...

That's interesting they all wore green. What a nice spread of fruit - I'm getting hungry.

I like the last photo with everyone goofing for the camera.

"MoodyBlue" Jodi said...

Looked great!!!!

Their friendship reminds me of myself & my best friend. We met outside before our first Kindergarden glass. In September we will be best friends for 31yrs.

Laurie Ann said...

Looks like a great time was had by all! If dessert is a language, I'm bilingual, too!

Susanne said...

LOL. It looks like a great time. I think it's such a gift from the Lord when girl's can be friends for such a long time. That is just precious to me.

I loved your four pictures. I knew Zoe had to be in one of the pics at least, so it was like a "Where's Waldo" thing, except of course, being titled "Where's Zoe?". I found her! :vD

Debbie said...

See, you are turning in to quite the hostess!!! The sundaes, the beautifully arranged fruit and veggies....look out Martha Stewart, Lidna is trying to take your title of the "Hostess with the Mostest".

Tammy said...

That is absolutely precious seeing them together when they were little...how wonderful that they are still such good friends!!!
My youngest has a little friend she met three years ago in preschool...they don't get together often, since our families are in different circles but they still a play date four or five times a year and act like best friends each time! That would be so nice if they remain friends and don't lose touch!

(The money story was so cute!)

Ang baylis said...

I never realized it until now... I am also bilingual! I would LOVE to have one of those right about now! I love your dishes. Yes, I zoomed in to get a closer look! :)
Love,
Angie xoxo

p.s. If I give you twenty bucks, will you be my friend? Too funny!

Jen said...

Yum! Can I come over?

You've been tagged for a MeMe from Today at Jen's House --

xox

Greg C said...

I really love the icecream cups. When is the next social. I will be right over.

Becky said...

Looks like a fun group of girls! Its so important to have a small group to study with. God Bless!

Lois E. Lane said...

Thanks for the comment! Point well taken. I for one don't think risk-takers are any better than "fradies" ... especially since I started out life as a fradie and now only fall slightly over on the risk-taker side of the spectrum. But I think it's pretty clear you don't live like a typical fradie. You'd be a fine poster girl for the bold and the beautiful any day :)

Marina said...

it looks like you are having so much fun !!!
love the desert anytime :) marina

Love Bears All Things said...

Looks like a lot of fun and I know this study will mean a lot to them in the years to come.
Mama Bear

Kim said...

I think that you all had way to much fun!

Edie said...

Love this! What a great time... family, friends, and God. :)

proudgrits11 said...

So much fun!! It's a hoot when people wear the same color--but I usually miss the memo!!
Just FYI, I'm having a card giveaway at my Roots & Wings blog--and they can be customized with scripture, too!! :)
-Tabitha
www.proudgrits.blogspot.com

Jamie @ Purposeful Pursuit said...

Looks like a fun time! Your daughter is so blessed to have a mom like you.