Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Peeling Eggs Without Peeling Them. Take This Tip With a Grain of Salt Soda.

I do have a tip today, but consider this: this kitchen tip is coming from someone who just this week baked the cardboard circle under the frozen pizza along with the pizza.

OK, here's the tip: My kids love deviled eggs. Or, as Bobby Bouche's momma would say, "Debiled eggs."

But I hate peeling them. So a here's quick and FUN (emphasis on "fun") tip for popping those boiled (or "bowled" as Paula Deen would say) eggs right out of their shells.

1. Start with depositing eggs into cold water, and bring them to a low to medium boil for about 12 minutes. Some people just bring them to a boil, take them off the heat and let them sort of set. I like mine done. Mine looked like the ones in this pic.

2. Shock the eggs by placing them in cold water with 1 teaspoon of baking soda and lots of ice. I'm sure the baking soda does something to the chemical make up of something which changes something, but I'm not Bill Nye, so I don't know.

3. Crack the small end of the egg and remove a small piece.

4. Crack the wide end of the egg and remove a small piece.

5. Hold the egg in one hand and place the other at the wide end.

6. Blow into the narrow end of the egg, which will pop it out the other end, of course, and voila, you have a clean egg, except for maybe a little spittle.

7. If you're all squeamish about spittle on the egg, you can always wash it off. And that is a sentence I never dreamed I'd ever say. Or write.

Now, I have done this procedure several times, and I have to confess that you may prefer to simply peel them the old fashioned way, but then there won't be any funny lip gloss residue on your shells, and you will have passed up a chance to make a memory with your kids because you are being all "Kate Gosselin" about it. So I think it's worth it just to have some fun.

PS: I love Jon and Kate, so don't chastise me.

Thanks, Shannon!

PPS: A video doing some procedure like this would make a great video post for "I See What You're Saying!"

20 comments:

Cindy Swanson said...

Finally! I'm definitely going to try this...I hate peeling eggs too.

Leanne said...

I have to try this. I assume it needs to be done over a bowl (visions of hard boiled being launched across the kitchen).

Linda said...

I do everything put the soda and the blowing. Hmmm, a little lip gloss never hurt anyone!

I LOVE Jon and Kate Plus 8. I'm addicted!

The Patterson 5 said...

Thanks for the tip! I think my boys will enjoy trying this! Thanks for your step by step directions- my college roomate and I made eggs explode the first time we tried to boil them. We let them boil way too long- with the lid on- all the water evaporated. I guess there was too much pressure b/c the lid popped off and we had boiled eggs everywhere-even on the ceiling! Live and learn.

Smilingsal said...

I do everything except the soda, but instead of blowing, I just keep the cold water running and peel away. The shell comes off in big chunks.

Susanne said...

I was just last week muttering under my breath as I peeled eggs and had half the whites coming off stuck to the shell. I am so trying this. Weird as it is.

And Jon and Kate are a riot. I can so see them doing something like this to give their kids an experience. :v)

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

I love the movie Waterboy and yes, even tho I am a 56 year old Grammy, I watch Jon and Kate Plus 8, actually I am a Reality TV Junkie, I admit!!! Thanks for the egg tips...
Edwina

Merrie said...

A great way to impress grandchildren I'm sure! I'll have to try it...
of course, I always thought that the reason they are called "deviled" is because the devil was having so much fun keeping the shells on those deviled eggs!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Too funny! I do the same thing Smilingsal does normally...but blowing them right out of their shells? I'll be trying this one!

And see? We're not so diametrically different (reference to "muscials" post): I posted about eggs today too!!

YAY!

Chatty Kelly said...

Hey - Jon & Kate looked at a house in my community. Maybe they'll be my neighbors. Cool, huh?

Um, I think I'll stick with the old fashioned way on the eggs however.

You know, with that egg spittle...I think...you need... A NAPKIN, A NAPKIN, whoaaaaaaaaaaa!

Kirby3131 said...

I just posted a video on this exact subject! HB egg video It's like learning a new word! The shell came off like a dream using this method. I didn't blow on the egg, but rather pinched the shell and it literally fell off the egg.

Melissa said...

Love the tip and Jon & Kate! Melissa

Kim said...

Cool tip I'm anxious to try. Why am I worried I will mess this up? :) PS ~ Love Jon and Kate too!

Have a great day!

Gwendolyn said...

Grace will love this! She would live on deviled eggs if I would let her. LOL

Greg C said...

Ok I have to say that egg blowing is not one of my life long ambitions. Why not just leave the shells on and tell the kids that all the nutrients are in there and that is why you left them on.

I agree that would make a great video and I know just who needs to do it....YOU.

THE ROOST said...

Don't know if I will try that one but I got a kick out of that post! HEE HEE

Ballerina Girl said...

thanks for the tipp... I will try this this weekend with my kids! they would love it!
I like using the same word twice in a sentence and still having it sound right! (see above :)
BG

Nadine said...

Thanks. Sounds like a great tip. I'll have to try this.

jennifer@love,laughter,and lyrics said...

John and Kate??? SHAMEFUL....

Just kidding. We watch it all the time too.

PJ said...

I have had my Saturday morning chuckle!!! Thanks