Monday, October 20, 2008

Fall Into Flavor, Week 3 & Pluralism?

Can you believe it's October 20 already?

We are certainly smack-dab in the middle of Fall, although most department stores are time traveling to the future, displaying their Christmas decorations now, bless their commercial hearts.

But we're not there yet, are we. We're still "Fall"ing Into Flavor.

Speaking of "we," Mark Twain said: Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial "we." Are you wondering which category I'm in?

Regarding "Fall Into Flavor," I prefer that you choose to share your recipes with me us, but in the spirit of a certain Presidential candidate, I must say that really, the patriotic thing for you to do is give me, um, share with everyone lots of your recipes because we all deserve them so much, equally. And then we will not have to scrounge them up for ourselves [because that's so hard!] or wait on the kindness of your hearts to bless me, er, I mean, us. A-hem.

While we're at it, I'd like some of your Halloween candy, too. I don't like having to trudge around and be all uncomfortable to get candy; I'd much prefer to sit at home in my La-Z-Boy while you work for it and then give me your candy. Works for me! Just spreadin' the wealth around, ya know. Ya.


[Wink.]

Jorge's Favorite Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Icing
Thus, I made it for his birthday. This cake gets rave reviews everywhere I take it. The most time-consuming part is grating three cups of carrots, but my motto is, if you really love Jorge, you will not care that you scrape up your knuckles while making his favorite cake.

Da Cake

Grate 3 c. carrots; set aside.
In a large bowl, mix 2 c. white sugar, 1 1/2 c. oil and 4 unbeaten eggs.
In another bowl, combine 2 c. flour, 1 1/2 t. soda, 2 t.cinnamon, 1 t. salt.
Add wet mixture to dry mixture.
Add carrots and 1/2 to 1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts, if you like.

Grease and flour pan. Bake 300* for 50 minutes.

***
Cream Cheese Frosting

1 8oz. brick of cream cheese, softened
1/4 c. butter (bam!)
1 lb. powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla

Blend cream cheese and butter. Slowly add powdered sugar and vanilla. Make sure cake is completely cooled before frosting.

And now let's get to sharing, shall we?


24 comments:

Mrs. Who said...

I LOVE carrot cake. My grandmother used to make it this way, but I have never actually grated cups of carrots to make a homemade one. Maybe now is the time...

Merrie said...

We love carrot cake in our house and in our belly! Your frosting recipe is less fattening than others I've seen. I need to use yours - so there won't be as much cake remaining ON our bellies!

lmerie said...

Yum Yum Yum - I have not had or made a carrot cake in years! Have to have a cooking marathon soon and cook it all!

Cindy Swanson said...

Oh wow...I love carrot cake!

I posted the most amazing banana bar recipe ever!

annie's eyes said...

Carrot cake is healthy, right? Especially eating the whole thing myself...I adore it. This one sounds delicious. In the spirit of the good Presidential candidate, I'm sharing an equally obliging main course to go with that cake this week.

I'm enjoying pretending like I cook. But if and when I have the inclination, I have some really good choices to select from. As always, thanks for hosting!

Mocha with Linda said...

Yum. Sounds delish.

And I'll vote for you.

Pamela said...

Wes would love this minus the nuts, of course. I love nuts and he doesn't. I usually make most things without them--for him and the rest of the family. Oh how I love it when we go out or go to somebody's house and they serve something with nuts! I sometimes just get my "fix" by eating a small handful of walnuts.

Have a great day!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Pamela: Wonder if it's in the genes. I could live on cereal and nuts. And chocolate, of course. The three C's of my life:
Chocolate
Cereal
Cashews

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Love carrot cake and the wink made me giggle.

Kim said...

I haven't had carrot cake in SO long! I'm in a baking mood so...

Susan said...

Sounds just wonderful, Linda! I cannot cook this sort of food because my DH doesn't eat it and I do...and well, there-in lies the problem. So I live vicariously by reading OTHER people's recipes.

I'm enjoying these posts very much.

Hugs,

Susan

DidiLyn said...

Dang it, I've got no recipes to share, but we're having some new friends over for dinner tomorrow. I'll take some time and peruse the links. Maybe I'll find something GREAT for dinner. :-)

Susanne said...

Wow, this carrot cake seems way easier to put together than any of the recipes I have. I'm so trying this!

samurai said...

I didn't know you had a tape worm! Might explain the call for recipes though. :)

Hope you had a blessed weekend.

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

The patriotic thing would be for you to make the investment for these ingredients and prepare the cake for US! And since so many more people DON'T bake or even read your blog - you should prepare the cake and GIVE it to all of them too ... YES! And then we will call you "Messiah" and you can not only enjoy the love and affection of all the muslim countries who can't eat cake, but all of us blinded hungry Americans who have your cake and eat it too.

btw... this recipe looks awesom and easy and I will visit SmallTownMinnesota grocer and pay 3times $$$ what I would pay at WalMart for ingredients to support Capitalism since it looks as though it will die on Jan. 20, 2009.
:-(

Tammy said...

Carrot cake is one of my absolute favorites....well, besides anything chocolate.

:-)

Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

This was remarkable! Great idea-- this Fall into Flavor. This was Week One for moi. I think I visited all the acquaintances of mr. linky here and have assembled a nice menu. I shall now hoard available ingredients in my kitchen from all family members as I’ve already spent food allowance through 10/25 (sting!)

I’d share my trick-or-treat candy with everyone as an act of patriotism and thanks, but the straight talk express won’t be coming through my down-the-drain blue state and I’ve no other way to send it.

Sorry.

Patricia said...

Soooooooo, is it cheating or showing less than full devotion if I save the skin on my knuckles and use the food shredder attachment on my Bosch mixer to shred the carrots?

This recipe sounds great. I'm looking forward to trying it. I may add a bit of shredded zucchini as I have a stray (and unhairy) one left in the veggie drawer.

BTW, I've been collecting all the recipes and I'm trying to print them in a nice large type so I don't have to wear my glasses. The flippin' up and down is drivin' me crazy (down to read, up to measure)...oh yeah, if I just wait till November to cook...then I'll have those cool *wink* Sarah *wink* bifocal *wink* glasses.

Linda said...

There is carrot cake in Heaven. I am sure of it! ;)

Leigh said...

Here's another that is truly amazing:

http://lbratina.blogspot.com/2008/06/garden-full-of-goodness-lasagna.html

Chel - An Abiding Branch said...

I love homemade carrot cake!
Yuuummmmmeeeee,
Chel

rita said...

This was fun!
And I see we have Indiana connections.
Hope y'all enjoy the banana bran (nut & chocolate!) muffins.
Happy Fall y'all!

Kim @ My Journey said...

Can't wait to try this carrot cake and the other great recipes.... Thanks!

Lisa Laree said...

My Sweet Baboo's birthday was Friday (24th)...and the cake of choice is always Carrot Cake, too! My recipe is just a little different, but it has the same knuckle-scraping investment.

Of course, it's all gone today. Dangerous stuff...