Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Eyes Have It ... So I'm Doing a Fill-In

I am "Les Mis." My eyes swell like this occasionally, and it's pretty incapacitating. Plus UGH-LY. There is no makeup that can help this. I bet I've had four or five Benadryl today. I told Jorge that if this keeps up and my eyelids begin to droop over my eyes like Kate Gosselin's belly drooped after her sextuplet pregnancy (is that 6?), I'm having plastic surgery on them, oh yes I am, Ma'am.

So I'm doing a fill-in today if I can see the keyboard past the giant caterpillar growing on my eye.

Jeannette at Discover, Create, Dream posted this on her blog a while back, and I thought I would do the same. So I challenge you to reveal yourself, as well. Whatever you reveal can't be worse than posting a pic of a hideous eye like I did, so go for it.

What is your writing process?
I make mental notes and jot things down that I think might be amusing to talk about. Occasionally, I take a picture of something that strikes me as funny and blog about that, like the casket in the garage.

What are your greatest creative inspirations?
My kids and just observing people in general. Also, continual self-discovery is a good topic because it usually resonates with readers who are discovering those same things about themselves, like why "Bare Rocks" swirl, tap and spackle makeup doesn't work well on antique faces.

What are your greatest creative barriers?
Time constraints. I wish I had all day to write. Never gonna happen, or at least probably won't happen until I'm old enough that my drooping, itching eyelids prevent me from seeing the keyboard. Oh, the irony.

What is your favorite word? Currently, it's "intrepid."

What is your least favorite word? "sucks."

What sound or noise do you love?
My daughter playing the piano and singing. Also, my air purifier blowing at night. It's like a lullaby to me.

What sound or noise do you hate? The dryer buzzer. It's annoying to the ears, but it's also annoying to the spirit, like someone yelling at me, "Get up, Lazy, and get in here and fold this laundry! Slacker!"

What is your favorite curse word? I don't curse. But if I did, it would start with "s." And it's not "sucks" because I think "sucks" sounds worse than the other "s" word.

A song/band/type of music you'd risk wreck & injury to turn off when it comes on the radio? Bluegrass or twangy gospel.

Best show on television? I don't have a favorite child. Oh wait, you said TV show. LOST, American Idol, Ace of Cakes (Food Network), Food Network Challenges, The Office, Chuck, Charlie Brown Christmas Special

Favorite movie? Contemporary: Signs Classic: Many, many classic movies. I started a personal blog to keep track of the ones I've watched. I enjoy Bette Davis and Joan Crawford, and Cary Grant. And Cary Grant. And Cary. Grant.

Favorite room in your house? My bedroom. I love to watch TV and read in bed. I love my blankies and my special pillow. Why do I sound like an infant?

Best concert? Gee, I've been to so many ... probably 3 or 4 ... I'd say Amy Grant at a small university auditorium. It was fairly up close and personal.

Brass or strings? Strings. But flutes, really. And harps.

If you could have anything put on a t-shirt what would it be? I saw one that said, "English Major. You Do the Math." That cracked me up.

The best part about being your age? I suppose having more personal free time. I could not have blogged when the kids were little.

Favorite Girl Scout cookie? Peanut Butter Patties

Poker or gin or bridge? I'm a good former Nazarene who doesn't play cards! Ha.

Shower or bath? Showers. Do not like baths at all.

Favorite pajamas? Soft cotton night shirt.

Nightmare job? Math instructor. Selling real estate. Sports commentator. Want more?

A talent you wish you had? I don't know. A talent for getting published? Piano playing, I guess. Or harp talent. Speaking another language fluently.

Dream vacation? Actually, I don't dream of this as often as other people. But probably Greece, Italy, France, London. But then I'd miss my bed and bedroom. Wah.

What's on your nightstand? Lamp, clock, tissues, back scratcher, book by Brandilyn Collins about coloring the sidewalk or something, Simple Church by Eric Geiger, lip gloss, mints, glasses, cup, allergy med.

3 weird things about you:

I buy gifts for people and then forget to give them to them.
I daydream about building gingerbread houses.
I have a running commentary going on in my head all the time. I didn't know anyone else did this until I heard Garrison Keillor do a skit about not trusting English majors because they're writing in their heads all the time. Pretty much true, here.

OK, let me know if you do this one. Or feel free to comment on any one of these in a comment. I'll try to read it if I can get my eyes open later today.

See ya later, wink, wink.

31 comments:

Tabi said...

You poor thing, that looks miserable! I hope it heals up really fast!

Melissa said...

Love getting to know all these things about you! Especially about what inspires you. And that you buy gifts for people and forget to give them to them. Sometimes I do that; especially if I totally love what I bought and it would go perfect with everything in my closet. :)

Jenn said...

Oh, your poor eyes! How miserable.

I was an English minor in school and have had stories, scenarios, and commentaries running through my head since I was just a girl. I think that is why I like blogging so much, it gives me an outlet!

Kingdom Mama said...

My husband's eyes have done this two years in a row now (only in the spring).

I can't believe how much writing you did..ummm..."not writing"!;)

Tammy said...

My eyes have done the same exact thing on totally random occasions.

I would say it sucks when that happens but you don't like that, so I won't. Oops.

Dorothy Champagne said...

I'm so sorry about your eye - and the benadryl just seems to add to the tiredness.
Okay - here goes the quiz:
What is your writing process?
Prayer - Pray that God gives me something to write about.

What are your greatest creative inspirations?
Since my writing is devotional, scripture.

What are your greatest creative barriers?
My kids wanting the use of the computer all day.

What is your favorite word? Favorite word? Cheesecake?

What is your least favorite word? Any curse words.

What sound or noise do you love?
My children laughing.

What sound or noise do you hate? The dog whining - aaarghh.
What is your favorite curse word? You shouldn't have a favorite curse word.

A song/band/type of music you'd risk wreck & injury to turn off when it comes on the radio? Rap - the, "I don't care for other people's air space I'll play it as loud as I want even if it makes me deaf" rap.

Best show on television? I could really go on and on - I spend too much time in front of the TV.

Favorite movie? Most Disney movies: Finding Nemo; Incredibles; Enchanted; Little Mermaid; Fairly moral and funny.

Favorite room in your house?Kitchen - the only room no one else wants to go in.

Best concert? Carman

Brass or strings? Brass and strings - my kids play both.

If you could have anything put on a t-shirt what would it be? My son has a T-shirt that was made by the youth group and on the back it says in bold white letters (shirt is black) "I love Jesus very much". We went out to a restaurant and I noticed everyone staring and smiling- it took me a while to realize it was because of his shirt. What a witness without knowing.

The best part about being your age? Every day is a new one.

Favorite Girl Scout cookie? The min t kind

Poker or gin or bridge? Poker, it's faster.

Shower or bath? Bath - if I had a garden tub.

Favorite pajamas? Flannel - much to the chagrin of my husband.

Nightmare job? Accountant - been there done that.

A talent you wish you had?Playing piano.

Dream vacation? Australia, Paris.

What's on your nightstand? lotion, watch, cell phone, hair clip, lamp, water bottle, notepad, Archie comic book.

3 weird things about you: I like to read Archie Comic Books.
I love mayonnaise sandwiches (just miracle whip and bread)
I love Jesus - the world says that's weird, so call me a freak!

Dena @ Green Acres said...

Oh no, Linda. I'm so sorry your eyes are hurting and puffy. I know that look....I have had that look, and yes I posted pics of them too. Why do we do that to ourselves? LOL Place cucumber slices on your eyes. They are light enough to not hurt, but so nice and cool. They feel awesome. Hope your better soon.

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Only 2 weird things....? Maybe # 3 is that your eyes sometimes swell for no apparent reason. OK--I am playing. This is one of the more entertaining memes I've seen.
Thanks for sharing...feel better soon!

Becky said...

Good golly miss Molly! Are you ok? You poor thing. I think I will do this thingamajig of yours. I'm supposed to go to bed early tonight. :-p

Could I just copy your answers over to my post? Lots of similarities.

Hope you unswell soon.

Chatty Kelly said...

My eye does this occassionally. Put a spoon in the freezer for about 3 minutes. Take it out and press the "bottom" of the spoon against your eye until the spoon is no longer cold.

Repeat if necessary. It works!!!!!

Good luck!

Gwendolyn said...

I have the running commentary going on all the time in my head. If I read a book or watch a movie, I will continue it in my imagination afterwards...or I will change it to the way I WISH it had ended and play it all out in technicolor on the screen in my brain. It's no wonder I can't remember anything...I'm stuck in daydream land too often!

sara said...

So sorry about your eyes!!! Benedryl is your friend!

I just have to comment on fav movie....no musicals? hee! hee!

mtnest423 said...

Are BOTH your eyes like that? Hope all is better today!

Re: the running commentary in your head. You mean some people do NOT do that??? Am I 'weird' because I do?

I just assumed everyone constantly talked to themselves. How else to process everything that goes on?

annie's eyes said...

I feel like we're best friends now, because friends share the good and the bad, and I like how honest you are. I have allergy eyes like that but haven't in a long time--hate to say that. I'll try to get to this meme today too, if I can, but yours is entertaining--my life is more boring. Always love reading you. Feel better soon. Try ice cold wash cloths and a good nap after the Benadryl. At least you can rest up on your sleep, with your favorite blankies. Love, A

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I love you :)

And I have a non-stop running commentary in my head, but I am definitely not an English major...I think that just makes me a freak :)

Loved reading this post, Linda!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

When I got home from the conference, I confessed to hubs that I hear people talking to each other in my head. I was so relieved to learn that other people have this as well. He told me they have medication for that.

Susanne said...

Your poor eye! And three benadryl already? If the swelling doesn't go down at least you'll sleep well.

This was fun to read. The t-shirt cracked me up.

Kerri said...

Linda, I hope you're feeling somewhat better! My eyes get swollen, but it's major luggage bags under the eyes. It's not a pretty sight. I had it last week and the only thing I could do to help it was to sleep. Sounds good to me, in my comfy bed with a snuggly blanket! Your answers today gave me a great laugh...my favorite "curse" word is CRUM...works for everything! Blessings to you!

Mocha with Linda said...

Rats, no musicals?!

I don't know how you even typed this with all the Benadryl you had. I'd be out like a light.

And do you have a nightstand or a dining room table next to your bed? Mercy, that's a lot of stuff on there!

Always fun reading about ya.

Ballerina Girl said...

I sometimes get a similar problem on my face, too...mine comes from eating something like Mango.
Eat any lately?
Fun meme, maybe I will do this one soon...
when I have less time constraints, hahha!
BG

Angie said...

Another English major here (like that quote) and also a former Nazarene...nice to "meet" you too!

andi said...

O m-eye! LOL. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my blog. I have enjoyed reading yours! I have had the same thing happen to me! Hope you recover quickly!

Tanja said...

Might you be allergic to your make-up? I have several skin allergies and my eyes did that until I switched brands (and finally just quit wearing make-up because my husband says he can't tell when I have it on anyway... and who am I trying to impress if not him?). Brave woman. Posting pictures.

Mariel said...

Thanks for the recent info! ;) (I will definately look into that book you mentoned)

I am so sorry about your poor eyes...have you tried cucumber slices?? Or prep H...yes, the hemmroid med! It works for swollen eye...I think! I have never been brave enough to put something on my face that is made for ...well, never mind. ;)

Your blog is so fun! It inspires me to grab a cup of joe!

crittyjoy said...

You have just made my day....my eyes do that! Everyone looks at me strangely when it happens as there is no rhyme or reason as to why it happens....it happens randomly throughout the year... I have to lay down for a few hours and use cold compresses that seems to help the best.

I hope your eyes are much better.

Blessings.

krista said...

Great devotional at the Internet Cafe! Thanks for sharing that!

Dena @ Green Acres said...

Just thought I'd let you know I did the little fill-in-the-blank thingy. It's right here if you want to see it.
http://greenacres4me.blogspot.com/2008/11/fill-in-blanks.html
Hope you're eye(s) is/are better today. :)

samurai said...

I filled in the questions on my blog... LOL... thank you for sharing. :)

Robin Lambright said...

Me too!
http://rlambright.blogspot.com/2008/11/six-degrees-of-separation-or.html

I hope your eye's are doing better, it looked very uncomfortable. I had an allergic reaction to some contact lense solution once and I was not a happy camper for severla days,I hope it clears up soon.

Thanks for the sharing, I love it when these chains of connection go from one blog to another, it is fun to see where it will lead and get a glimps into someone elses thoguths.
Blessings
Robin

Linda said...

Is your eye better? I'm so sorry.

It's Always Something Around Here said...

Ouch that looks painful!! Hope it is better now.