Friday, November 07, 2008

My Baby is 16 Today

In the dark, early morning hours of November 7, 1992, it was snowing on the way to the hospital, and I was glad. I watched the snow fall outside my hospital window all morning until I finally became too distracted.

I actually chose my daughter's birthdate because she was overdue. Why the 7th? I like 7 way better than 6 or 8! But the 7th fell on a Saturday, and my doctor liked playing tennis on Saturday mornings way better than delivering his millionth baby. He acquiesced, though, and to this day I'm not sure why he agreed to it. Maybe because this same doctor delivered me 30 years and one month before this date.

I named my baby Kristin "with an 'i'" after my best friend, whom everyone just calls "Kris." I named her Brynn because when I was a teenager, I watched a soap opera with a star whose real-life name was Brynn Thayer. So she was Kristin Brynn, and my brother immediately called her "Raisin Bran."

She was the sweetest most beautiful baby. And by the time she was pre-school age, she looked just the American Girls Samantha doll, little gapped teeth and all. Her hair finally grew so long it was unmanageable, so I cut it just before kindergarten, as you see in this pic.

When her brother, 3, and her sister, 6, came to visit us in the hospital, we had the camcorder going, and Katie noticed our car keys on the bed. She said with great drama, "Better not let her get a hold of those keys!" I laughed and said something like, "Do you think she might try to drive away from us?"

Well, the poignancy of that moment is not lost on me now. This girl is chomping at the bit to get a hold of those keys and drive away from us. She has the manual. As of today, she has the birthday. It's only a matter of time.

Kristin, if you're reading this someday when you're older, just know that I could write a thousand words here and never even begin to tell you what you mean to me. You are the emobdiment of my vulnerable heart walking around outside my body. You are beautiful and sweet and funny and smart and talented, and I treasure those aspects about you. But always remember that I don't love you because of the way you look or perform or for any other reason than because you are my precious daughter. And not a thousand words, or a thousand miles, or a thousand years could ever change that.

Happy Sweet 16th. Love, Mom

OK, you must indulge me. The first is only 1:11, and the 2nd is only 30 secs.
That is her best friend in the dog suit.

video
video
"A Thousand Miles"

44 comments:

Leebird said...

proud mommas make me smile.

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl

a Tonggu Momma said...

As a former "Molly" in that play, I have to say your daughter is excellent as Annie. What a voice!

Kelli said...

Happy Sweet Sixteen! My first born hits that milestone on December 5th.

She a talented one Linda, and I'm loving that look at the end of A Thousand Miles. I've seen it a few times around these pats, too.

Tammy said...

Happy Birthday to your beautiful daughter! It's so hard to imagine my 7 year old turning 16 one day. It will be here before I know it though.

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday!!!
She's beautiful!

Huse Yo Mama said...

Beautiful AND talented!! That girl rocks! Happy Birthday!

You both are so blessed to have one another!

Sam said...

Happy Birthday to Kristin - it's my birthday today too - only the best people have a birthday on the 7th November!! ;-)

Dena @ Green Acres said...

We really do have a lot in common. My "baby" will be 16 on his next bday as well.

Your daughter is absolutely beautiful. And what a gorgeous head of hair she had as a baby. Mine were cueballs until about the age of one.

Happy Birthday Kristin.

Dorothy Champagne said...

I remember Brynn Thayer playing as Matlock's daughter, right? She is beautiful! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

jan said...

This was a beautiful post. You put into words the so many things I feel about our sons, but have never managed to articulate.
Life is bittersweet, isn't it?!

Debbie said...

Happy Birthday to mom and Kristin. What a lovely post and beautiful young woman.

Pamela said...

Tell Kristin Happy Birthday and that we hope her day is very special.

lmerie said...

Happy Sweet 16! Enjoy the day and weekend!

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Hope her day is wonderful....and she sings and plays beautifully!

Cathy Davis said...

Happy Birthday Kristin!!! You are a beautiful and talented little angel!

Mocha with Linda said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl.

What a precious tribute. Methinks she takes after her mom.

She's probably too young to be impressed and honored that she shares a birthday with Billy Graham, huh?!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I think I've told her before, but she's probably forgotten. However, I share a birthday with the late Charlton Heston. Therefore, we are aligned with Billy Graham and ... Moses.

Cindy Swanson said...

Happy birthday to your beautiful baby girl! I couldn't believe it when mine turned 21 last February. Enjoy her.

Greg C said...

Great words about your daughter. I know you are very proud. My son just turned 17 this past week and will be driving a friend to the movies tonight. They grow up so fast.

Teri~Facedown said...

Happy sweet 16 Kristin! Yay!

Laurie Ann said...

She is beautiful, Linda. And so talented. You must be so proud of her. Thank you for sharing her birthday with us. Beautiful tribute to her.

Theresa said...

You have a lot to be proud of! Happy Sweet Sixteen Kristin! You are so talented.

Katie said...

Happy birfday, Kreepstin!

Susanne said...

LOL. Is that her sister Katie's comment? Gotta be.

Happy Sweet Sixteen Kristin! You are an amazing, lovely, gifted young lady. May you have an extra special day!

Miscellaneous From Missy said...

Happy Birthday, Kristin!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Yes, that is Sweet Sister's comment. However, "Kreepstin" originated with the same brother who said, "What kind of name is 'Kristin Brynn?' It's like 'Raisin Bran.'"

Jodie said...

Now ya done gone and gave me a frog in my throat.

I love your brother's ingenuity... it takes some serious cleverness to come up with Raisin Bran. Although I can't imagine enjoying that nickname as a small child...

She's beautiful and talented. You were right. :) And not just b/c you're the mom. :)

Sandy said...

Yay, happy bd to your baby!

Tiffany Stuart said...

Happy Birthday! Love that you honored your girl.

My daughter is a piano player too.

Chatty Kelly said...

Happy Sweet 16. Wonderful tribute.

Brenda Susan said...

What a sweetie! Your words to her are wonderful & weighty.

Connie said...

What a beautiful daughter and it seems you are doing a great job! It's exciting to see them grow up and become young adults. Connie

Lucy said...

so happy you found me, so I was able to pop over and read such a beautiful tribute to your baby. ( i also have a 16 yr old!)
gorgeous girl! :)

ann said...

Happy Birthday, Kristin! Loved the videos :)

Mrs4444 said...

So glad you popped in today; I loved this post. I, too, have a daughter (13), and I could have written the same words of her. I especially loved the line, "You are the embodiment of my vulnerable heart walking around outside my body." So precious, these girls. My daughter was JoJo in the Seussical, last May, so really, I can relate!

Mariel said...

happy birthdya to your 'baby'! doesn't time fly?? my babies are only 8 and 5, but I can feel the wind of the time blowing past as I attempt to deeply inhale the moments!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Wow, that girl has a voice! What a bittersweet thing for momma...the sweet 16. You have reason to be so thankful!

Happy Birthday Kristin.

I can't believe you didn't post that Annie vid when we were all talking about musicals. Sheesh. That's whatcha call withholding evidence. They are in your blood, sister. :-)

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

Happy Birthday to your girl!

Beautiful words, beautiful and talented girl.

Debbie said...

Very sweet words from a very sweet Mom to a very sweet girl.

PJ said...

Fun!! Love the Annie fro AND the dog!! Must be the creativity runs in the family.

Darlene R. said...

I am so behind on my blogs! I feel as if I have been saying that so much lately. I loved the vidoes! Happy belated birthday to your sweet 16. I have 8 more years before I hit that stage with my girly. :)

Brah said...

KreeShaw, I just wanted to say happy b-day, and no I didn't forget it. Facebook reminded me! But serusly, I want to let you know you're a rockstar, you got your rock moves. I am jealous of your musical ability, but it's good I don't have it, or I would constantly flaunt it. You are a great kid, and are growing into a fine woman. I just know it. Don't let your crazy parents turn you into a crazy too. If you ever need to talk, let me know. Deuces.

Jordan said...

Oh... and the post about me got more comments. So... I guess we know the who the People's Choice is.

Roxanne said...

Beautiful!!!! What voice. . .and you gotta love "the look" at the end of the piano piece. :)