Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sincerely Fro Me to You ~ Baby First Step and Footie Pajamas

Kristen from We Are That Family hosts a weekly carnival called "Sincerely Fro Me to You," which I am loving. *EDIT: Ack. The real date for this carnival is tomorrow.*

Basically, people post old pics and comment on them. One of my favorites to visit for this carnival is Tammy of Greek Grits (Girl Raised in the South). She's just a fav read of mine, too. Hi, Tammy! Hope you've got a good one this week! No presh-ah, though!

I'm guessing this is about 1967, which would make me about 5. Yes, I'm still wearing foot-enclosed toddler pajamas at age 5, which make my feet look like the Grinch's. If my mom had her way, I'd still be wearing foot-enclosed p.j.'s today because she firmly believes that chilled feet are the major cause of colds, influenzas, biblical plagues and the fate of Amelia Earhart. To this day, when I go to her house, one of the first things she asks me when we get settled in to visit is, "Are your feet cold?" In fact, "Are your feet cold?" is the new, "So how are ya?"

Needless to say, my feet were never cold; no, they were perpetually sweaty and stinky and screaming to be let out to breathe from inside that horrendous plastic. But I know that Mom never measured love in home-made cookies or sewing lessons. She measured it in foot temperature. And I was loved.

So that was "Baby First Skate" in the pic above, and those are "Baby First Steps" in this pic. That's my next-door neighbor, Susie. We were lovin' our Baby First Steps, who walked like mini-Frankensteins. Please note that we were throwin' down the peace sign because we were cool 4 and 5 year-olds. Well, Susie almost had the peace sign down. I had so much to teach her; why did she move away? Probably moved to a place where their family could go barefoot in the summer without being branded with a scarlet "B" for "Brazenly Barefoot" by the neighbor lady.

And don't even get me started on that sectional sofa. That's a whole 'nother post.

22 comments:

Smelling Coffee said...

This is so funny! We had those pjs too! Thanks for the chuckle this early in the morning. :-)

lmerie said...

LOL - funnnnnneeeee! I think I was still being bought and clothed in footed pj at 5. I still remember that horrid seam around the edge of the foot!

sara said...

Oh i so had one of those dolls too!!! I was so excited to get her for Christmas!!! I wish I lived closer to my mom to find the picture of me with mine!

Marina said...

Linda you come out with some of the best picture's, love marina

Mocha with Linda said...

Yeah, the other thing I hated about footie pj's is how dirty the bottoms got and then you had to get into bed with them. (We didn't have carpet.) Ick.

Love your nostalgia pics!

Angela said...

Who's Amelia Earheart?

Gwendolyn said...

I love it! I don't have any old pictures though, because my mother has kept them all. I will not be able to post a picture of myself as a child until my mother kicks the bucket, sadly. How depressing for the internet. I was an adorable child. :o)

Baba's Blog .. Babies Are Special said...

Hi Linda, I am enjoying my second cup of coffee and reading your blog for today..You and your friend look like you were having fun with the walking doll!! Thanks for sharing , and I may have to join in with you for this fun post... Baba

Stacy said...

You crack me up. I love visiting your blog.

Chatty Kelly said...

I think you are cute in your footie pjs. Your family was clearly wealthy, because in my family, they just cut the feet out when you grew, cause we couldn't afford new pjs. LOL!

Love the pattern on that sofa! And you were so cool. What happened? LOL!!!! JUST KIDDING - you are even cooler now, than at age 5. Imagine that?

p.s. I posted some pictures of my "maverick" at my blog today if you wanted to take a peak.

Susanne said...

I think my mom had the same warm feet theories. To this day as soon as I get in her house she's asking me if I want slippers, even though I may have on 5 lb. white athlete's socks.

In the back of my mind I seem to remember a baby 1st steps.

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Cute post, my friend! I love for my babies to wear footie pj's...it always saddens me when they get too big for them. :-( But thank God for pictures that we can chuckle at and remember the good ol' days. :-)

Beverly said...

heehee. I think I had a walking doll that never really walked well but that was in the mid 70s so it can't be the same doll.

Cyndy said...

Okay, I'm just a kind of retro nut, but I love those old sectionals! I love the way they curve and I love the way they DON'T dominate the room with their bulk. I would love to find something like that for my family room...okay, maybe they weren't the most comfortable things on earth...but they looked nice. :)

Sincerely your retro-nut blog friend,
Cyndy

Ang baylis said...

Okay, I'm starting to take my slippers with me places... Oh no! I'm getting old! I am sure I had the same jammies when I was your age! At 46 I'm thinking they are a great idea! Thanks for making me smile today!
Love,
Angie xoxo

Mrs4444 said...

This inspires me to post my Krissy doll from back in the day (you know; the one with the hair that "grew!") First, have to find the pic!

Kim said...

Confession is good for the soul, no? So I'm going to confess in front of God and everybody else who reads your comments that I had footie pajamas in my 40s!!! I'm the opposite of you and my feet are always cold. So you can imagine how excited I got when I found pajamas with feet in them for ADULTS :-) Just like the ones for kids, with the plastic-y bumpy bottoms on the feet so you don't slip and slide all over the place. And that's what finally did them in; the hubby HATED it when I'd snuggle up and stick that rough plastic against his legs. 'Bout got kicked out of bed a few times over that. So I finally had to give the jammies up, much to my sorrow.

Tammy said...

Bah ha ha ha......LOVE everything about this.

Love that you posted early, because you are trying to beat me to the punch.

Love those footy pj's

And LOVE that I got a plug on your world famous blog.

Race you on Wed. night. 10pm Mr. Linky goes up, be there or be square! ;-)

Off to dig through some photos.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Footed PJ's....Oh the good ole days! ;)

The Blonde Duck said...

I love that apple crisp below! Yum!

Linda said...

I confess..I wear little booties to bed each night because my feet are cold! They eventually come off in the middle of the night as I thrash around and uncover my poor husband.

Your blog is always a hoot and a must read for me. You are a blessing.

Nel said...

You are tooo funny!
I feel deprived I don't think I had footy pajamas.
We didn't have a sectional either, but my aunt did...and we thought she was rich...lolol