Monday, November 10, 2008

Fall Into Flavor Week 6: Apple Crisp

Next Monday, the 17th, will be our final installment of "Fall Into Flavor." If you have made as many of these recipes as I have, we can probably "Roll Into Thanksgiving" together. But hey, sprouts and rutabagas were not the point--BUTTER was the point. Right? Right! I think I'm going to have a really fun recipe next week, so be sure to 'mon back.

This week I'm featuring another dessert because "Dessert" is really my native language. I spoke Dessert long before I spoke English. I majored in English, but if I could've majored in desserts without having to take any of the other pesky culinary classes, I would've gone that way. But such is life.
Anyway, this week I'm offering:

Lid's Apple Crisp

Step 1: Get your cutie-patootie apron from Ikea on and have your kid take your picture. (See above.) Now you're cookin'!

Step 2: Get your cutie-patootie kid to butcher peel 5 c. apples with you. *You're probably asking, "What kind of apples work best for this crisp, Lid?" The answer is: I don't know. That's what the Internet is for. But off-hand, I'd say get that one kind--you know ... red.



Chop the peeled apples and place in a bowl. Gently stir 2 to 4 T. of sugar into apples. Pour apples into an 8 x 8 baking dish. In my pic, you will see that I have doubled the recipe; that's why it's not in an 8 x 8" dish. I was taking this crisp to my lifegroup. Anyway, that's it for the fruit.

Topping: In a bowl, combine 1/2 c. oats, 1/2 c. bro. sugar, 1/4 c. flour and 1/4 t. cinnamon. Cut 1/4 c. margarine or butter in until you have coarse crumbs. Add 1/4 c. chopped nuts, if desired. If not desired, then you're nuts. If you're allergic, I'd say "pass on the nuts." This recipe is good, but not worth dying over. Don't get me wrong; it's "to die for," but not literally.

Sprinkle topping over filling. Bake 375* for 30-35 mins. or until fruit is tender and topping is golden.

*Serve with ice cream or Cool Whip. You can also use frozen fruit. Thaw fruit, but do not drain.

Also, I'm a person who loves the topping better than the fruit, so sometimes I double the topping for this crisp even if I don't double the fruit. (Tee-hee! That's so ornery of me!)

OK, Cheffies, please link up to share your rich comfort foods this week.


25 comments:

Merrie said...

I love Apple Crisp! I haven't made one in years! I'll have to whip up one, I have some apples... can't wait!

Dorothy Champagne said...

Apple crisp is one of my favorites! I'll have to try this.

Chatty Kelly said...

You are the only person I know who can make a recipe funny. I mean I look forward to reading your recipes just for the laugh. You rock! Or should I say KEN LEE!

All smiles on a Monday morning thanks to you. You are "to die for." LOL!!!!!!

sara said...

that looks so yummy!!! I have missed being part of this over the last two weeks and I had grand ideas of putting up a recipe I learned in Italy today, but I am late for work....maybe I'll get it up late, tonight. I will def be part of it next week!!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

I love the apron, Lid! For someone who (supposedly) doesn't do well in the kitchen, you sure do look great! :-)

This looks scrumptious...I do love a good apple crisp, too. Will be trying this one with my apples who are singing my name!

annie's eyes said...

Oh this speaks my language, Lid. Delicious and full of butter AND sugar! Desserts are my love language. As for the type of apple and red ones--we love Gala apples right now. I also like green Granny Smith for pies, with the tartness. Not that I'm an apple expert being from Texas--all we get are imports! Thanks so much for sponsoring this. I'll be back next week with a grand finale too! This has been lots of indulgent fun!
Love, A

Greg C said...

I found some frozen peaches in the deep freezer yesterday and I am thinking peach cobbler here. I love apple crisp though just as much.

Tabi said...

Oh!! Sounds so good and I actually have all the stuff to make this one today!! Whoot!! Wanna join me for some apple crisp, ice cream, and some coffee?!?! :P

My ADHD Me said...

I was at CK's house this week and saw her "I love Ken Lee" coffee mug. Too funny!

Susanne said...

I'd double the recipe even if I wasn't making it for Lifegroup. Apple crisp is my very fave dessert.

And you look cute in your little Ikea apron. Gotta get me one of those.

Lynn said...

I have two words....

Yum and eee

I am an apple crisp maniac and double the crisp part too! Have a great week. Hugs.

Mocha with Linda said...

Love apple crisp. And I'm with you on the extra topping. And the nuts.

Yum.

Valarie said...

This will be made for Thanksgiving, yep, I am adding it to the list. :)

lmerie said...

Perfect for fall! And Winter!! . . .And Spring!! And, yes any ol' time! ha! Thanks for the crisp recipe.

Esthermay said...

#1 Is that your kitchen? If yes, it is WAy too clean and WAy too white. The FoodChannel should be so fortunate.
#2 I print this out - YES! YUM- I will double the topping ingredients (*of course*) and I wonder how well this works with apples that your husband picks off the ground in the city park. (Another good reason to double the topping. YES?) Seriously... this one's a keeper!

Laurie Ann said...

Oh, yummmmmmy! No desire to peel and chop the apples, but if Steve'll do it, I'm making this for Thanksgiving! Loved the humor injected into the recipe. Hilarious!

Debbie said...

I love to make apple crisps. We have them regularly! Yum. You've inspired me.

ann said...

I love your apron, Linda! And I know what you mean about your daughter butchering the apples. It's so stinkin' hard to peel apples with a knife! I always end up cutting way too much fruit off with the peel. So I use a carrot peeler thingy. (I peel potatoes with it too) Works for me!

Thank you for sharing your apple crisp recipe with us!

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

This is one of my favorite fall desserts ... hot topped with vanilla ice cream. Yum.

Tammy said...

YUMMY! I'm making the corn chowder TONIGHT! I cannot wait. 'Bout to get started on that little yummy. I'll have to use this one too sometime soon.

PJ said...

Love this. I shall have to try it!!!

PJ said...

I'm a day late!! (So what's new?) BUT...I made Lid's Apple Crisp tonight along WITH the fried spaghetti!!

Lelia Chealey said...

Please refrain from anymore these types of post until after I lose this unwanted weight...so until sometime in 2009, I'll let you know. My mouth is seriously watering right now. The pics don't help me with self control either. :)
Your girl is so pretty.

Overwhelmed! said...

I'm joining in the fun a bit on the late side, I hope you don't mind. :)

I love apple crisp but it's been ages since I've made it. I must try your recipe!

Thanks for sharing!

Chappyswife said...

Great apron, and this recipe sounds delicious. I have never made it before, but that's going to change!