Thursday, December 11, 2008

Blues Clues? Two Stories About Two Sets of Blue Hands in One Day

So yesterday Kristin comes up to me in the kitchen right before she went out the door to catch her ride to school and said, "My fingers are bruised and blue and I don't know why."

I held her hands up to the light, and sure enough, my diagnosis (gleaned from two arduous courses in medical transcription at an Ivy League school, Ivy Tech, which, I might add, qualifies me to diagnose and do just about any medical procedure) was, "Cyanosis = Bad."

But what I said nonchalantly was, "Wow. That's odd, isn't it?"

She immediately left, and I immediately went to my source of wisdom: Google. (Not really my ultimate source, but you know, we often act like Google is Oz. Or Someone else.)

So I drove to work thinking that my child was losing oxygen and I sent her off to school without checking her lips or toenails or anything that might have seemed rational.

When I got to work, I called the doc and began an all-day game of phone tag.

Long story short, they told me that when I picked her up, if she was still blue to bring her in.

I waited nervously in the parking lot, and out she bounded, jumped into the car and said, "Hi."

"Hi," I replied. "Let me see your fingers."

She then threw her head back onto the seat and heaved a great big irritated sigh and said, "You're making way too big a deal of this."

Now, if you think there's some validity in that statement, which there was, remember that she herself did not know I was panicked or playing phone tag with the doctor. All she heard me say was, "Wow. That's odd, isn't it?" that morning. So asking to see her nails was obviously an extreme move on my part, in her opinion.

So I had to set her straight about who was over-reacting. A-hem.

Anyway, the important thing is, the nail beds were pink as a baby's bottom, so no danger. However, the fingers are still sore, which we cannot figure out.

She does play the piano every day, but she doesn't go at it like Little Richard or Jerry Lee Lewis, so I don't know how her fingers are bruised. Weird. If there are any pianists reading this who have experienced this phenomenon, please let me know.

And then later, I baked 3 doz. cookies for Oneighty this Sunday, and look what happened: blue fingers. Not exactly the same, but still, kind of ironic to have two sets of blue fingers in one day. At least in my head it is.

Because as you know, my head notices a lot of stuff.

33 comments:

Sandra in Phx said...

Your cookies are gorgeous! I am afraid that if I had made them, they would just have frosting slapped on them...but that would involve me actually BAKING them...so not going to happen...

Anyway, I am new to your blog and I love reading it!

Melanie said...

Very funny. I've had the same kind of scenario with a tongue turning a weird color. My boy forgot that he had eaten blue candy earlier.
Gotta love the WebMD!

Dorothy Champagne said...

This was really great. I hope you figure out what's going on with her fingers. I'll be curious to hear.

Kay said...

My kids loved Blues Clues. Made me smile just seeing that! But I have always over reacted when it came to odd things like blue fingers too. You never know...! LOL

Hope everybody gets over feeling 'blue'. : )

a Tonggu Momma said...

Your cookies are gorgeous! Mine will look like that in about... oh... ten years possibly. Right now they are a gooey mess - I'm just trying to keep the Tongginator from licking them.

Chatty Kelly said...

Has she been carrying a lot of plastic bags (like grocery or shopping bags). I did the same thing! After a day of mall shopping, I actually had bruising fingers. The bags wrap around your hand and pull bruising the fingers (when you are carrying a lot of them.)

We just figured out blues clues, cause we're really smart!

Smilingsal said...

This could be such a good Blue Monday post!

Merrie said...

I'm laughing... (again)... my fingers get blue, but not sore... what did the doctor say?
I love your decorating skills for cookies, and gingerbread houses... have you thought about changing careers? You are obviously talented!

Misty said...

your cookies are really amazingly pretty! i like that each one looks unique! my mom worked in the med. field and she so woulda freaked out.. she always says a little knowledge hurts more b/cs then you just have all the possibilities! and even w/out knowing, i'd wonder!

April in CT said...

I hope you can figure out what's going on with her hands. Maybe it's one of those mysteries that will pass with no further problems.

Those cookies are beautiful! Can I come live with you in cookie land so I can learn how to decorate them? LOL

Dena @ Green Acres said...

You create gingerbread MANSIONS and you make and decorate beautiful gingerbread cookies. Is there anything you can't do? LOL Your cookies are beautiful. Mine are too, but then again, I bought mine at a bakery.

fransmomma said...

your cookies are beautiful! i love the snowflakes!! good luck on the blue fingers--your and hers--that icing really stays with ya.

fransmomma said...

your cookies are beautiful! i love the snowflakes!! good luck on the blue fingers--your and hers--that icing really stays with ya.

Tammy said...

*snicker* *snort*

Now, seriously, was she very cold when her hands turned blue the first time. Like maybe her circulation was decreased to her extremities (hands). And also were they tingly.
I'm sure you'll stay on top of it, but the nurse in me just wonders.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Dearest Dena: Yes. There is something I cannot do. Cook real food, as in dinner.

Susanne said...

Linda you make the most gorgeous cookies. I need you doing my Christmas baking 'cause we sure don't get anything like that out of my kitchen!

Blue fingers. Weird. Is she playing volleyball in phys. ed, maybe or some other sport where here fingers could get overused. Or, what did she do a youth group last night? (assuming she had youth on Wed. nights).

Debbie said...

Blue's clues tell me she may be gripping the steering wheel a little too tightly! Just a thought.

Love the beautiful cookies which I'm sure will be well worth your blue fingers.

FYI -you might enjoy my post today.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

You make the most beautiful cookies!

Let us know what happens with her hands. Are there any other areas that are blue or does she have any tingling, numbness?

Cyndy said...

Obviously your talent in the kitchen lies in baking ginger bread houses and cookies(who cares about the other food groups!). Martha Stewart move over let me introduce you to Linda Crow!

As far as over reacting, because my mom is a med. transcriptionist, we tend to do the same thing. My rule of thumb (no pun intended, I think)is to see if it happens again. Hopefully her bruised hands are an isolated holiday shopping incident!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I am astounded at the wealth of mystery solving prowess you all possess. I think the Feds should hire a team of blogging moms to figure out their most baffling unsolved cases.

Gwendolyn said...

I am also most envious of your baking abilities. And I have idea about the blue fingers, although I am glad that they are better. I thought that we were the only ones to come up with mystery illnesses!

Jan Ross said...

Well, I hope you solve the mystery of the blue fingers!

And, like everyone else, I am admiring your gorgeous cookies. How did you get the icing so perfect??

MomE said...

Hi! I'll stop the lurking and make a comment! Hi...I love your blog!
I have Raynaud's Disease and it sometimes causes my fingers to turn grayish blue and be quite cold. When the blood flows back in they are tender and throbby. This is more pronounced for me when I'm nervous and early in the morning. It also happens after I've played the piano for a long time. It's strange...but thought it could be an avenue to look into...I was diagnosed in high school when my homeroom teacher freaked and thought I had frost bite! HA!
Nice cookies too!

Tina said...

holy moly. look at those cookies. where in the world do you find the time????

Mocha with Linda said...

So where is Elvis singing Blue Christms?!

And those cookies are stunning. You are quite the artist.

Sitesx6 said...

You are SO Martha Stewart-ish. Those cookies are really beautiful.

I'm impressed!

Andrea said...

Somewhere I read how to get food coloring off your hands. But I can't remember where - you're welcome!

And your cookies are AMAZING!! I shake too much to make pretty designs like that. Maybe I should lay off the coffee. HA!

carol ~ i throw like a girl said...

Those cookies look sooooo good! Yum! I gave you a shout out on my blog about gingerbread houses, btw!

DidiLyn said...

Please.send.cookies.

Mel said...

Cookies look so good!! And the blue finger thing I would have Googled it too, which might not be a good habit I have!!

Darlene R. said...

The fact that I thought this was funny only proves that we must think along the same line! ;)

Anyway, I hope the fingers return to their normal color...both sets of them!

Brenda Susan said...

I half expect to have some blue fingers myself since becoming a blog-addict! I must use great force to pry my fingers off the keyboard some nights! I'm sure it will be one of those weird "well it's gone now but wonder what it was" kinda things that happen with kids.
A m a z i n g cookies btw!!

strawberryrose said...

I saw this and thought of you.

http://www.groveparkinn.com/gallery/Gingerbread2008