Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Clearing Up Some Things & Dazzling You By Yet Another Celebrity Connection

ITEM #1: This is a picture from my Sunday slide show of Project 365. I realize that you all know I'm just a plain ol' Hoosier gal who likes simple things, but I must (apparently) explain to several of you that no, I do not eat raw eggs right out of the skillet.

I simply snapped the pic before the breakfast was done because it was colorful. I've been eating eggs and green peppers and onions and mushrooms for breakfast to see if the protein will fill me up enough that I will not want to eat during the day.




Results of experiment: Do you really think anything could keep me from wanting to eat during the day? NO. But the protein does help me fight myself a little more vigorously all day long.


ITEM #2: Word Definitions, brought to you by the Oneighty Staff. And the Letter "D."

It was back to the old grind at the youth ministry yesterday, where we had our first staff meeting of 2009. Here are three of us in the pic at the left. It was hard to find a pic of the guy in the middle in something other than a chicken suit, but I got it.

In a passionate "I can't wait to get back to work" state of mind, we got into a deep, esoteric discussion of word definitions and usage. I mentioned that you all excoriated me the other day for using the word "excoriated" in my post. And then somehow, we ended up discussing the meaning of "Doppelganger," although we usually just try to figure out such conundrums as, "Should one say 'sleep walked' or 'slept walked?'"

Anyway, I will tell you that I did not know the true meaning of Doppelganger, but I sure enjoyed saying it over and over. Without cheating, do you know with which of the following terms "Doppelganger" is synonymous? Secondly, can you guess which one of the four I thought it was?

A) The uvula hangy-down thing in your throat
B) That thing that hangs down from a turkey's neck
C) Scrotum
D) A look-alike image, sort of a mirror-like reflection without the mirror. As in "spooky."

Cast your vote in the comments below. There is no prize. Your reward is: becoming one word smarter.

ITEM #3: Six Degrees of Separation

The Chuck Colson Award. New Year's Eve Farkle Party. Six degrees of separation. Are you ready for this?

One of my best friends, Cindy, owner of "Gourmet Divine Delectable Foods and Confections," was the "one-half couple" at the New Year's Eve party I wrote about yesterday.

In fact, it was Cindy who taught the other four of us how to play Farkle. Cindy emailed me to say, "Hey. You know that Chuck Colson award you have on your blog? Well, get this. Taylor University gave some of my chocolate to Chuck Colson as a Christmas gift! How's that for an award?!"

Gah! Too wild! 6 Degrees of separation?! Just study the chart that I made below.

1. Cindy makes chocolate.
2. Cindy plays Farkle.
3. Cindy knows me and thus gives me chocolate and teaches me to play Farkle.
4. Cindy reads my blog and sees the Chuck Colson Award, which takes her breath away because:
5. Cindy used to date Chuck Colson. KIDDING. Cindy's chocolate went to Chuck Colson!
6. Hence, Chuck Colson eats Cindy's chocolate, henceforth which, I have also eaten, which actually means Chuck Colson and I are separated by only one degree: Cindy's Chocolate! Hence!

I KNEW THAT AWARD RESONATED WITH ME!










33 comments:

Linda said...

I needed to laugh tonight. That diagram at the bottom did the trick!

I think the answer to your word quiz is D! Win a date with Chuck Colson! Do not pass go, do not collect 200 pieces of Cindy's chocolate.

Chel - An Abiding Branch said...

cle-eh-eh-ehverrrr!

to quote Chevy Chase from Modern Problems...."I Like IT!!!"

Chel

Chel - An Abiding Branch said...

Oh yeah, soooo glad you "cook" the eggs. :-)

Becky said...

LOL, sometimes your posts have so much to laugh with a snark about that I don't know where to start.

I knew yours eggs weren't done.

I refuse to believe that a doppelganger is a, b, or c because they already have names (and nicknames *smirk*) so I guess D. What shocks me the most is that it is in my spell check.

And I can't believe you know Chuck. I have no idea who he is but I am very happy for the both of you.

A Stone Gatherer said...

My sister says she eats 2 hard boiled eggs every morning and they keep her from being hungry! She is a skinny minny! I am trying that now and they do stay with you awhile! As far as the 6 degrees - makes since to me!

lmerie said...

LOL - 6 degrees with Chuck - very creative and too funny!

Oh, and glad you finish cooking your picture before eating it! Ha!

Carolyn said...

Definitely D - the look-a-like. Promise I didn't wikipedia it. I came across the word after I first came across the word "googleganger", which incidentally means that when you "google" your exact name and the google results come up with another person with the same name as you....and you can confirm this, because you've never ran a 7-minute mile in race in Michigan as the other person did.

Lisa Laree said...

Yeah, Doppelganger is 'D'...I'm afraid to guess which one you thought it was...

I actually saw someone who was my Doppelganger when I was in college...from the back: a girl who was my height and build with hair exactly the color and (non)style of mine. It was a little creepy. I didn't dare wait until she turned around.

sara said...

love the diagram!!!

Seems like the name should be for the turkey because it is so weird, but I'm pretty sure it is D... did you really post scrotum on your blog?!

hey, I posted the cake recipe. Let me know what you think when you make it!

Chatty Kelly said...

I need a third cup of coffee to follow your grid. LOL!! You make me laugh every day. THANKS!!

The answer is D.

Mel said...

Quiz answer is D...and ok not sure about the egg dish maybe scrambled...

and ohhh chocolate

Sandra in Phx said...

The answer is D..but I am sort of afraid to think what YOU thought it was...

And can you say scrotum this early in the morning?! My brain instanly thought of the huevos you were cooking...see, I need a second cup of coffee.

Sandra in Phx said...

The answer is D..but I am sort of afraid to think what YOU thought it was...

And can you say scrotum this early in the morning?! My brain instanly thought of the huevos you were cooking...see, I need a second cup of coffee.

Rachel said...

I'm just laughing because the word "scrotum" is in this post! (Yes, I'm still 12 years old when it comes to maturity.)

I love the 6 degrees diagram!

Teri~Facedown said...

D

Beverly said...

love the way you look at things!

Susanne said...

Whew, my head is spinning in six directions with that six degrees. LOL. I lurve Cindy's chocolate so do I have a connection to Chucky boy somehow?

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I think Kevin Bacon invented Farkle with Chuck.

With Al's help, of course.

Carol @SheLives said...

I don't know what that was all about or what a doppelganger is, but I'm pretty sure Cindy's chocolate should have gone to me instead of Chuck.

Or my alter ego.

Misty said...

ok, it's awesome that you're funny in your own right, but your readers are also stinking hilarious!! reading comments made me laugh almost as much as the post itself!

Greg C said...

The correct answer is D. I saw it in a movie once. I am guessing that you picked C though just so you could post that word in your blog. :)

skoots1mom said...

i vote for b...
bet you said it was c!

your diagram rocks!

Becoming Me said...

I am laughing so hard right now! You're a celeb.

Laurie Ann said...

I love it!!!!!! You crack me up. Thanks for a great post, and too awesome about the six degrees of separation, LOL.

Esthermay said...

Yea! Protein!
I vote for B! But I think I'm wrong after reading other comments.
BUT -- I do win with degrees of separation to Chuck! Me: ONE.
I sat two people away from him at a dinner once. AND - had about 2 minute conversation with him about ice fishing. :-P

~esthermay @The Heart of a Pastor's Wife

Kim said...

Definitely D

Are you going to tell us what you thought it was?

I'm glad you work in a place that encourages you to be a life-long learner. Or maker-upper as the case may be :-)

fransmomma said...

i'm pretty sure the correct answer is D. i'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you thought it was C. kudos on the diagram. your tech savvy amazes me.

Heather of the EO said...

D! It's D! RIGHT? Cause if it's scrotum, I might not ever be the same.

Susan said...

Just one day I'd like to have the kind of thought stream that you do! It simply amazes me!

I have no idea what the word is...I SO agree with this poster above who says "if it's scrotum, I might not ever be the same"!!

Have a great day!

:-) Susan

Mama2hre said...

Love the diagram! Thanks for the laugh!

Linda said...

Thanks for dropping by "My Own Velvet Room". Thought I'd pop over and check out another Yorkie lover Linda's blog! I'll be back....

Tammy said...

I'm gonna have to go with the letter D for the dangledinglethingy. And I was too lazy to google it.

And the 6 degrees photo....PRICELESS.

Aunt LoLo said...

When I was pregnant and hingry all the time (as opposed to now - nursing and RAVENOUS!), someone suggested this breakfast - 8 oz of milk, one spoonful pb, one banana...in a blender. Tasty, and it definitely sticks with you!