Monday, January 05, 2009

He Loved the Farkle in My Eyes, But It Had to End

At the wild and crazy New Year's Eve party which Jorge and I attended with one and a half of the 7 couples in our small group ("one half" meaning one husband had to work) Jorge and I learned a new game called "Farkle."

Before I go on with that, though, let me mention that despite what you may have seen on TV at Times Square, this was THE party to attend New Year's Eve, even though the the five of us dispersed well before midnight because we're all so old that our joints turn to stone at precisely 11:30 pm each night, including New Year's Eves. But before we got tired, boy-howdy, we were insane Farkle high rollers!

Anyway, back to the obsession formerly known as "Farkle." It's as much fun to play as it is to say. And with that sentence, I think I just created a new marketing tag line for the Farkle company. They're welcome.

I won't spend time telling you how to play [see below], but basically you roll six dice until you get to 10,000 points, which is great right there. I mean, 10,000? I've never had 10,000 of anything, except for 10,000 white socks without mates in the laundry basket.

The game began to consume us, however. Jorge and I could hardly get through meals last week before we shoo'd the kids out of the kitchen, wiped the table down and Farkled like it was 1999!

Even when we weren't playing, we found ways to keep the flame alive, if you know what I mean. For instance, I was sitting here typing this, and while Jorge was totally unaware of the topic, he strode up to the computer desk and flung the six dice at me and said, "Take that!" It wasn't a great roll, but, oh, he knew what he was doing: fanning the fervid Farkle flames.

And we've been leaving the dice on the table next to a score sheet so that when we go by, we can just give it a quick roll and jot down our score for the other to see whenever he/she goes by. So, essentially, we're always playing Farkle.

It's sort of sick, I know, but who cares? We're two consenting adults who aren't hurting anyone, except when I forget to feed and water the dog.

But now there is a fly in the champagne, so to speak.

After a two-week absence, "Real Life" has come through the front door and shouted, "Honey, I'm home!" putting an end to all of our stolen moments of Farkling.

That is to say, it's "back to work" day today. Back to the old routine, the hum-drum, no-fun, go-to-work-come-back home, what'll-we-have-for-dinner-oh,-frozen-chicken-nuggets-I-guess treadmill of life.

But we'll always have these two weeks; I'll always remember the flicker of Farkle in his eyes and the only slightly less intoxicating tears in his eyes when he lost yet another round to me.

So bring on the copier and the staff meetings ... but don't be surprised if I'm caught doodling dice in the margins of the agendas--like misty, water-colored memories of the way we Farkled.











How to play: Wikipedia's Farkle Rules

40 comments:

RissaRoo said...

Oh, thank goodness! I was dying of curiosity. Thanks for the explanation, and...as usual...for the wonderful laugh!

Debbie said...

We love Farkle. And I love your blog. It makes me smile.
Happy Sunday evening!

gitz said...

Oh my gosh that was funny! Friends of mine recently discovered Farkle and I haven't been able to stop cracking up about the name... I guess it's really catching on :)

Hopefully, despite the work schedule, you can still find time to farkle around a bit...

:)

Becky said...

OK, Thats it! You. Are. Hilarious! I can't wait to teach My Love to Farkle! Yay!

Susan said...

We bought Farkle this summer in Alaska and LOVED IT! I have a pocket sized version that you can carry in your purse...

I'm glad you two had so much fun with it.

Hugs,

Susan

Kim said...

You're a Farkling Maniac! It is a fun game, I have to agree. We had Farkle but I'm not sure if it came with us or stayed with the kids. They co-opted a lot of our games.

And what's up with your slide show? Yesterday it showed me 3 of your pictures (leaving out Jan. 3rd). Today it's only showing days 1 & 2. Your slideshow doesn't like me!

Cindy said...

Sounds like the game we call Bupkis - and let me tell you the
Bupkis flames can remain fanned long after the 'game' is over. Fun, fun, fun!

sara said...

we love a new game!!! So who do you think came up with the name "farkle"!!

Susan D said...

You are one "wild and crazy gal." I'd never heard of Farkle until the word showed up on your slide show. You crack me up. Thanks for the laugh as I start my first day back to work as well. Blessings, Susan

CHOCOLATE AND COFFEE said...

We love Farkle too and played it alot over the holidays.

Happy New Year!

Blessings.

Mocha with Linda said...

I think I remember playing this years ago.

I can see it now - Jorge calling you and asking you to slip away for a long lunch. . . .

Sounds like things could get dicey!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Sounds great...but did want to ask if you were Farkling safely? :)

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

'Farkel' almost sounds like a Man's game (if you know what I mean:) I must go out and buy it. I can totally relate to the 10,000 white socks with no mates.
I go back to work tomorrow:(

Sandra in Phx said...

May have to check out this Farkle...

Chatty Kelly said...

I don't know how to play farkle (sounds like something you need to say "excuse me" after you say/do it).

But we old folks played "Left Right Center" on New Years, which is also a fun dice game.

Kim said...

GIRL! YOU are a barrel of FUN FUN FUN! Thanks for the giggle! :)

Blessings!
Kim

gloria said...

I learned to play Farkle New Year's Eve at a party. Love it! Also found a site where I can play online.

Beverly said...

sounds like a fun game!

Loved the Agape way said...

I was home and asleep by 11:30 myself. Why can't I keep up?
Rose

Liz said...

All I can say is... YOU CRACK ME UP!

Debbie said...

I have never Farkled. I think I will have to remedy that tonight. Sounds like a ton of fun.

Laurie Ann said...

You made it sound so fun but reading the official rules scare me. Why can't you just throw and take like a year to play and see who wins, LOL? Sounds like fun times. Yeah - the routine is back! I'm ready for it now...

Nel said...

How Funny! I had been hearing about this fun game, now I will have to try and get the hubby to play. Glad you guys had so much fun! I love your blog!

Susanne said...

I can surely say I have never seen the Farkle, heard of the Farkle or played the Farkle.

Mel said...

ok that sounds fun once one figures out the scoring but then it could give me one of those math headaches...

sounds fun

Patrice said...

Can't comment long, I am off to learn to Farkle! He he! I'm giddy!!

Rachel said...

I too learned Farkle at a Sunday school party. I figured it was the closest thing to gambling a Christian could get away with. :)

It is SO fun and SO addicting. I need to start scouring Cracker Barrel stores to see if I can find an actual set.

Heather of the EO said...

How can you be this funny? Your writing is just pure genius. If only you could ALWAYS Farkle how you write --you would NEVER lose a game :)

Heather of the EO said...

Wait. I don't know if my comment worked. Dangit.

Well, if not. I commented and it was nice :)

Mocha Dad said...

Thanks for lettting me know about Farkle. I will get six dice and immedialy start Farkling.

thouartloosed said...

Bwaahahaha!
You know, you can shake it up and have a little after dinner farkle to keep the spark alive in this New Year. It's too sad if you give it up.

Tammy said...

Thanks for the Farkle run down. Next time I see it, I'm buying it. I need a new obsession besides facebook! ;-)

Melanie said...

Laughing Out Loud...really and not just an "LOL"...

Linda said...

I have never liked counting games...I am math challenged but you do make farkle sound appealing! I'm sure you two crazy kids will resume your farkle tryst on Valentines Day! That's only a month and a half away!

Smelling Coffee said...

Sounds like a fun time was had by all! ;-) We played games with friends New Year's eve, too - we'll have to try this game the next time we get together.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

We are always looking for a new game! Thanks for the tip & the laugh! :)

JyLnC said...

You learn something everyday! I've never heard of Farkle before and you make the name sound fun which makes the game sound fun.

A Stone Gatherer said...

I think I've found a new game! That sounds like fun!

shell said...

my husband got this game for backpacking trips-I may have to steal it out of his pack!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

My favorite line?

"Farkled like it was 1999"

Ha ha!! I think you created TWO tag lines for them! Ha ha!