Tuesday, January 13, 2009

National News Flash: American Idol Premieres But the Humiliation Factor Pales in Comparison to the Ugly Mug Contest

The ongoing saga of the Ugly Mug Contest wherein people leave me comments mainly to say, "I am NOT doing this contest" has already caused me to designate 2009 as "The Year of the Lame Contest," the contest that will live ignominiously in my head for years to come.

Case in point: I had 40 comments at the time of this writing, 99% of those reaffirming, "I am NOT going to do this contest," in case I was somehow sorely mistaken about people doing this contest. Thanks for clearing that up, people who are NOT doing this contest.

So, when I die, just go ahead and engrave on my tombstone: "Ayyy Had an Ugly Mug Contest on my Blog that Tanked." Of course, everyone standing around my grave will say, "Well, I never did. I de-junked my cabinets. What idiot keeps ugly mugs around and then publishes pictures of them on the Internet, anyway? I, for one, most certainly did NOT do that contest."

One or two of you are hanging in there, though. Here's the way to do the post, if you think you're woman (or man) enough: See Rissa Roo, my new best friend who isn't ashamed to say she's got an ugly mug, at These Three Remain.

Contest Hint: Goodwill. Good grief, People.

Season 8


Yes, THIS is season 8 of AI.

Well, it was more of the same as all of the early audition shows. And still ... I stuck around for the whole two hours. The old standards included: The guy with the picked out 'fro tap dancing to a Michael Jackson song ... Bikini girl ... Randy giving 100 million percent support to the first good contestant; it's all good, Dawg, even if it's old.

The one new thing: Judge Kara Dio Guardi (whom I'd never heard of because I'm not a pop music connoisseur, but I do play one on my blog.) Apparently, she's a pop hit writing machine.

Favorite moment: The response of a bubbly girl named Brianna to Simon's disapproval of her audition, "Aw, Simeeee!"

It's why I keep coming back. It's always the same, and yet ... it's always worse.

20 comments:

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Lid, you know you're pretty good when just your title alone in my reader sends me into laughing quivers!

I am ROLLING over this whole ugly mug thing.

And I watched AI too. Why, I have no idea. I really thought the bikini girl was gonna get the boot. What's up with that? I guess when you get to Season 8, you have to go extreme for that "shock" value.

I, for one, could have gone the rest of the day without seeing 80% of her derriere.

Butt that's just me. lol

Mel said...

I now see I don't have to watch the horrible auditions on AI I can come here and read about em. Then tune in when they have picked the finalists!!!

Lynn said...

I loved the "Awww Simee" too! Cracked me up!

beckyjomama said...

So, yeah, she wore a bikini to get ON the show ... what we she have to do to STAY on the show ... is anyone else skeered?!?!?!

sara said...

even though I don't own an ugly mug....I do love ya Lid!!! And I may just do some shopping!!!

I suffered through the 2 hours of AI too, I was at the gym for 1/2 of it...impressed?....and it was that or football...why did I watch the rest? who knows?!

fransmomma said...

i am an AI junkie. i've auditioned twice way back in the day. i've been to the concert tour the past 4 seasons and very well might go again this season. my husband thinks its all scripted--and a lot of it is from what i saw when i was there. but never the less, it's my guilty pleasure.

Mocha with Linda said...

You are gonna leave me for Bambi since I don't have an ugly mug OR watch AI.

Guess I better go shopping.

Teri~Facedown said...

I will not mention the UMC by name...Oh...if only my nerves could handle coffee...I would be shopping right this second at the Salvation Army for the ugliest mug...my grief knows no end.

But AI was totally bad! But in a good way.

<3 you Lid. You're my favorite!

Andrea said...

I've enlisted my husband to go shopping for me at the thrift stores, since he has better taste in ugly things than I do. (I really mean that in a positive way! Honest!!)

As for AI - I could have done without the bikini girl, seeing as how my 7 and 9 yr old daughters were watching. Although they properly smack-talked her immodesty and told her to get some clothes on.

I'm so proud of them!

RissaRoo said...

WoooHooo! I am basking in the glory of being your new best friend. And all because I was unafraid to air my ugly mug on the WWW! If any of your more neatly organized, beautiful mug owning readers need a boost, I'd be happy to ship them one of my ugly ones. Just don't tell my hubby, who still doesn't see anything wrong with the one featured on my blog ;O)

Chatty Kelly said...

I missed AI. Oh well. My ugly mugs are not ugly enough...but if no one else is entering, that increases my chance, right??? I'll see what I can do.

Linda said...

Maybe I DO have an ugly mug hanging out. Maybe I can't post about it because I CAN'T HANDLE THE UGLY MUG! Maybe I cave to ugly mug pressure?!

That being said (and I'm not admitting to anything!) you know I love you for your sweet mug...and I don't mean the pottery.

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

I agree. I'm not sure if I'm going to blog about the season. I did last year. Guess it just depends on how passionate I get about it. But, I will come her to comment on your observations.

Lisa writes... said...

Your contest "hint"--classic! I have junk-y, cheap-o mugs (one with an AT&T logo comes to mind, as well as the various and sundry municipal utility logo-ed mugs my husband brings home) but none quite cross the line from uninteresting to flat-out UGLY...

I never watch the audition portions of AI--too much of the same old, same old, kind of like you've described here! :-)

Debbie said...

I've only half heartedly watched so far. The girl with the bikini better be gone pronto! Boo! Shouldn't be there in the first place.

Liz said...

Just remember that even if the contest is a bust... you'll always be popular in my book for ISWYS.

Darlene R. said...

http://kachoo5.blogspot.com/2009/01/that-is-one-ugly-mug.html

Ok, there you go. There's my ugly mug. :)

Becky said...

Poor Linda, and the ugly mug saga continues. I am doing a post featuring my mugs in your honor. ;-) I never thought of going out to buy one on purpose. I practically live at the thrift stores. I won't be able to shop until Friday though. Is that too late?

P.S. NO my nickname is not Scorpion but My Love calls me his little stinger ;-)

Dena said...

Bikini Girl made me laugh (even though I didn't like her). I loved watching Simon. When she started getting "catty" he started putting out his "Claws". Cracked me up! And no matter what she said or sang he kept saying "Beautiful" "I love it". LOL
Last night was interesting. There was a new distinct Ken Lee moment too. I thought of you too and tried to explain Ken Lee to my hubby who just nodded and then raised an eyebrow at me. He just doesn't get it.

James said...

Bikini girl was a bit over the top. It's sad that she sunk to that level for a little attention.