Tuesday, February 03, 2009

I Share Health and Beauty Observations With You

I know that when you want to know stuff, you come straight to 2nd Cup first, even before Wikipedia or Oprah. I don't blame you. I'm down with all the cutting edge info that you need. Pretty much.

Of course, it helps that you readers sort of hint that something might be a good post topic, and then I'm all over it like I thought of it myself.

First item: This info comes from a reader/researcher I'll just call "Jorge." And now a word about coffee and dementia.

Following is a small excerpt from a NY Times article:

A team of Swedish and Danish researchers tracked coffee consumption in a group of 1,409 middle-age men and women for an average of 21 years. During that time, 61 participants developed dementia, 48 with Alzheimer’s disease.

After controlling for numerous socioeconomic and health factors, including high cholesterol and high blood pressure, the scientists found that the subjects who had reported drinking three to five cups of coffee daily were 65 percent less likely to have developed dementia, compared with those who drank two cups or less.

People who drank more than five cups a day also were at reduced risk of dementia, the researchers said, but there were not enough people in this group to draw statistically significant conclusions.


Well then. I'm going to suggest we all go get a refill right now in our non-ugly mugs. And then I'm going to suggest that people who drink five or more cups a day were too quick to be captured and studied, and that's why it appeared as though there were not enough from which to draw significant conclusions.

Lesson: Drink more coffee, or ... something ... about your brain. Without coffee.

Second point of interest, regarding beauty: I received a lovely email message this week inviting me to participate in a study called, "women in need of an extreme shape makeover." Well, thank you very much. And may the 2nd, 3rd and 4th biblical plagues of Egypt rain down upon you for your kind suggestion. Or perhaps a falling anvil could give your head "an extreme shape makeover."

Addendum to 2nd point: Newsflash! According to Lemondrop, watching TV makeover shows makes women feel less confident. Hello, Mr. Obvious Ace Reporter. But don't leave out all of the home makeover shows, either. I can personally confirm that watching too many makeover shows when wearing my shiny aqua biking shorts under my Curious George t-shirt while sitting in my 20 year-old La-Z-Boy against the wall with the grandma wallpaper border and the dusty ficus tree makes me less confident in general. In fact, it makes me want to eat some cheese puffs.

Cheese or Onions? According to the source listed above, women's b.o. smells like onions, whereas men's smells like cheese. Eww. I'm going on the "no appetizer" diet for a while.

And those are my health and beauty tips for today. I forget his name, but maybe that guy sitting over there in his own personal library corner will bring me another cup of coffee if I ask nicely and tuck in my "I Heart My Yorkie" T-shirt. That is, if he wants a rose at the rose ceremony.

32 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

I'm laughing as I head to the airport. Except I think I forgot to get gas today. Oops.

Must be nice to have a staff to do your research for you!!

Oh, and the gas? That would be for the CAR.

I don't do well staying up this late....

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Don't feel bad. According to my inbox, I need my colon cleansed and some sort of enhancement.

I'd rather just smell like onions.

The cat photo? LOVE IT!

Misty said...

this was so humorous to me--I laughed out loud at the curse of the plagues!!! I hope you didn't know the person who sent you that email!! (I'm sure it was just junk mail, 'cuz goodness knows you don't need a shape makeover!)
My husband always gets onto my drop in self-confidence when I watch shows like What not to Wear and Biggest Loser... but I love them!
And regarding the b.o.: I think it must only pertain to meat eaters!! My husband who went vegan a year ago never even stinks anymore, even after a run; it's uncanny!!!

Renna said...

I don't know how you come out with the stuff you do, but you absolutely crack me up!

DayleShockley said...

Very funny stuff.

sara said...

ok, the whole BO part gave me the WORST mental image of this study....people sniffing underarms!! yuck!!! Who would subject themselves to that and WHY?

too funny!

Beverlydru said...

RLOL doesn't quite quite cover what I just experienced. How 'bout Barking in Hilarity Sounds that Scare Babies. BHSSB. That's me.

Susanne said...

I'll bet no one will ever send to emails to you again!

I quoted that coffee study when it came out to hubby too. Love studies like that! ;v)

Love your cat picture!

Dena said...

I started laughing as soon as I saw the cat. Too funny!

Garden Girl said...

ROTFL at the cat picture. Kinda reminds me of me before the First cup o' joe in the am.
I know one makeover show that will make you feel absolutely wonderful!
EXTREME MAKEOVER HOME EDITION! No guilt at all.
B.O. A sore subject at our house. My husband thinks deodorant is, and I quote here," A capitalist plot". Oh please. Just put it on when you go out with me, thank you very much.
Thanks for the smiles so early in the day!

Chatty Kelly said...

Who's judging the B.O.?

My ADORABLE 4 yr old won't go near her daddy after he goes to the gym...she says "he smells like brussel SCOUTS." (May I add she's never eaten, smelled or seen a brussel sprout, so I don't know where she got this idea, but I laugh hyterically every time she says it.)

Lois Lane II said...

LOL!! I actually watched some show yesterday, Ten Years Younger, where they made this woman go through teeth whitening dentist appts (complete with veneers), a couple small surgeries(yet what really is a small surgery?), hair treatments, etc...and I was like, Well, if I went through all of that, too, at her age, I'd look that good, too! (And then I made a mental note to have all of this done when I turn 50. Sigh...)

Michelle said...

You're killin' me over here! I thought that was super duper funny!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Sara has made a very good point. Did someone indeed fill out a job application to be "pit sniffer?"

skoots1mom said...

i probably looked like that kitty the other night when DH went to grab one of my clementines off my plate! I'm a little selfish when it comes to my clementines...

I definitely do NOT want to be designated pit sniffer...eeeewwww!
I'm the one sneaking around spraying the FABREZE PUMPKIN HARVEST.

AND,
if "that man" thinks you need a full-body makeover, send him over to my site...I'm definitely in trouble

Greg C said...

Well thank goodness I came here today. I didn't know these things but now I do. I feel so much better knowing that I smell like cheese. But then that is better than onions. haha

Cathy Davis said...

I'm totally "ditto-ing" Melanie's comments!

I love that kitty cat picture too!

Pastora Debbie said...

How real and hilarious you are!!!
Love it!!!
Blessings

Pam Warden Art said...

As always...I love your blog!!!! You are a doll and so funny. Thank you for the smiles.
Hugs,
Pam

samurai said...

OK... this is important... would that go for tea as well!?! :-) In regards to item #1.

Debbie said...

Women in need of an extreme makeover? And they overlooked me? Life is so unfair.

Laurie Ann said...

Bless your heart! And to think I had problems...I keep winning lotteries in countries I cannot pronounce. Daily. I should be so rich.

LOL! Loved this post! Thanks for my laugh of the day.

Jeff and Valerie Carr said...

Now I have added ammunition to request a 3rd cafe break!

Rachel said...

Who actually took the time to figure out what women's BO and men's BO smelled like? Sheesh. :)

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

Now I know why I can't remember a thing, it is all the coffee and oh my gosssssh, I never new my armpits smelled like onions!!!eeewwww

Brooke said...

when mr. right and i married, we didn't get cable in the new house. my self esteem has gone up because i can't watch "what not to wear" and get depressed about the state of my closet!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

I heart you so much. This post had me chorking (that's a combo of choke and chortle...because I too am on the cutting edge.) Not really. And as someone whose own husband nominated her for What Not To Wear before she even knew she needed help...I understand your agony...but I'm also pretty sure the e-mail you got was pure spam.

a Tonggu Momma said...

My grandmother is in the beginning stages of dementia. I feel so relieved to know that I am actively staving off this disease by ingesting such copious amounts of coffee.

Heather of the EO said...

I currently drink just one little cup of coffee per day. I'm going to have to UP that. My grandma and grandpa both died of dementia/Alzheimers so I'm pretty sure I should start preparing.

Finally, something healthy that I will LOVE to do. :)

Brenda Susan said...

There is just so much funniness in this post that I don't know where to begin! "Onions or cheese"!! Ick!

"Makeover invitation"! How rude!

Coffee is a staple of my life that I have had to cut down on recently....so. very. hard!

I love your blog & will use it to replace my 3rd cup of coffee ok?

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Now i know what is wrong with my brain.....off to pour :)

Patricia said...

My thoughts exactly! Ummm...about the coffee thingy. I think. Oh, and the reality TV makeover thingy - totally down with you there g-friend. 'Cept my reminder of inadequacy comes from stepping around the exercise ball trying to get in bed (brownines and book in hand).

I'm so gonna be myselfish (or maybe yourselfish) and post a link to this post on Facebook to share with my geequals. So they can LM*O (yep...THE funniest Superbowl commercial -- I almost slid off the couch when mine hit the floor!!!)

And yes, I read the slanguage post first. As if you couldn't tell. Go fragments!!