Thursday, February 05, 2009

Pink Floyd Cramer

Meet "Pink Floyd Cramer."

But let me back up.

While I've been galloping around in the snow the last couple of weeks yelling at my house while making videos and running contests that I have to beg people to enter, my teenage daughter has been acting like a mature adult, spending her spare time teaching herself to play Pachelbel's Canon in D, which I very immaturely refer to from the other end of the house as "Play that Taco Bell song again, Baby Girl!" Oh, I slay me.

And it is that kind of remark that gets me this look:

I noticed at one point that she was doing something different in certain chords, and since I don't know music, I was trying to tell her that I liked what she was doing, but I couldn't find the words to describe it. And then I remembered--Floyd Cramer.

So I said, "OH--I know what it is--you're playing like Floyd Cramer!"

Please refer to the picture again.

My dad used to love Floyd Cramer's distinct style, which had a sort of tinkly, twangy ring to it by using a certain technique. So I thought, "I know what I'll do. I'll go Google Floyd, and maybe, just maybe, Al Gore's Internet Genius will enable Kristin to hear Floyd and recognize what I'm talking about."

Well, who knew there was so much information about Floyd Cramer. We probably know more about him than his mom did. And so I called Kristin in and made her listen, and as soon as he did that one twinkly thing, recognition flashed across her face, and she said, "Oh, I get it!"

Upon further reading, I learned that Floyd perfected the "slip note" or "grace note," as notated at the left.

And so I felt like a musical research genius. [Note to self: add "musical research genius" to resume.]

Funny, but Kristin doesn't seem to enjoy it when I lovnigly call her "Floyd," even though boyish names are trendy right now for girls (Alex, Charlie, Riley, Logan, etc.) I guess "Floyd" does sound sort of middle-aged, 1950s, mutton-chop masculine. So I thought, "How could I soften up 'Floyd' and still have a great nickname for her?" And then it hit me, "Pink Floyd + Floyd Cramer = Pink Floyd Cramer." LOVE IT!

And do you know, for some reason, I Googled "Pink Floyd Cramer," and someone already coined that name. Unbelievable!

There is nothing new under the sun. And the scope of the Internet is getting scarier and scarier. But don't be nervous. Let a few seconds of the slip-note artistry of Floyd Cramer soothe you back into sanity. (But no more than a few seconds, or you might find yourself heading back toward insanity. It's a strange style.) And one of these days, maybe I'll talk Pink Floyd Cramer into letting me post her stylings, as well.

PS: Tomorrow I'm posting a letter to myself in my 20s, when my kids were small, as requested by Missy of It's Almost Naptime. It's one of my favorite things I've written. I hope you'll stop back by.

30 comments:

darla said...

my mom loved(s) Floyd Kramer and took me to his concert when i was just a little kid. at the time i thought it was sooo boring, but now, i'm diggin' this stuff! thanks for the memory!

Renna said...

When that program originally aired, I have no doubt whatsoever that my parents were parked in front of their 19 inch color tv, dad in his recliner, and mom prostrate on the sofa, tapping their toes and loving every minute of it. They NEVER missed the Opery.

As a teenager at the time, they'd have had to hog tie me to a chair to get me to sit and watch it with them (hated all things country)....and yet, I thoroughly enjoyed that video just now, especially the end when they did the Green, Green Grass of Home. When did I become old???

Nel said...

That is so cool. A lady I used to go to church with in Arkansas, taught herself to play by listening to Floyd Kramer. And she plays beautifully...in fact she played at my wedding a couple years ago. Thanks for the little video of Floyd...enjoyed that. I love the look your daughter gave you...I have seen that look before...hehehe

Mel said...

your daughter has the same look my teens have :)...

I cannot wait to read your letter!!!

Rach@In His Hands said...

Play on Pink Floyd Cramer!!!
Video is great...
Oooo, I like "Yesterday"! Excellent way to start my morning. And "Joy to the World!" My day just got better. :-)

Liz said...

Hmmm... I'm a pianist, and I had never heard it called a "slip note" before. I like grace notes better. I am not particularly familiar with Floyd Cramer, but I'm sure I probably saw a commercial or two for his records when I was a kid. I didn't realize that his whole playing style was grace notes. I find that a tad irritating, but that's just my opinion.

Susan D said...

My dad was so eclectic in his music taste. This guy was one of them, so was Big Band music. Do you remember Herb Albert? Personally, I like Jim Brickman. Blessings, Susan

lmerie said...

That expression is priceless!
:)

Mocha with Linda said...

The hair and sideburns and open collared suit scared me more than anything.

My kids are playing Taco Bell's Cannon on the piano too!!

samurai said...

I love reading your blog... if for nothing else it's good to read and imagine the your interactions with your daughter. LOL... reminds me of something...

Susanne said...

Never heard of Floyd Cramer, but I remember Ronnie Prophet! Get a load of his pink ruffled shirt. LOL. Them were the styling days.

I so recognize that look your girl is giving. It's been thrown my way quite a bit. :vD

Teri~Facedown said...

I just can't believe you googled Pink Floyd Cramer."

Can I come and live at Lid and Jorge's house of fun?

Ken Lee.

heresmycuplord said...

Cool blog. Love the coffee pot on your header. Don't know the whole Floyd/Music thing, but hey sounds like you've got it covered. Hope your daughter excels.

BTW: I found you via Lois Lane. Feel free to stop by soon and share a cup of coffee.

Ginger

Lois Lane II said...

Is he the one who played "Last Date"? I used to play that (when I played the piano...sort of, haha) for my dad.

Greg C said...

I had trouble getting past the announcer's hair without busting a gut. Did we look like that? Isn't it amazing that anything we "thinkers" come up with has already been done. I think I am on the edge with my squrrel idea though.

Julie said...

I remember hearing his music, but I didn't remember his name....

But the hairstyles, now they take me back....and those chops.... WOW... flashback......

I graduated high school in 1975.....

Debbie said...

You slay me too. Maybe because that sounds so much like something I would say:)

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

You still amaze me with your post, I knew a Floyd Cramer in school one time, that is about it and I use to listen to some Pink Floyd

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Love Kristin's expression! Pink Floyd Cramer - I was thinking "only Linda" but obviously I was wrong.

I can't wait to read your letter. I've been toying with the idea or writing one too - just not sure if I'll share it.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Don't have a clue what you are talking about and who Floyd Cramer is. The only Kramer I know is from Seinfeld. hehe

That dirty look of your daughter's is funny...priceless...that's a Wordless Wednesday moment for sure.

Hey, I see your sidebar says 42 days until spring but my question is will the snow be gone.

Being a fellow Hoosier and all, I believe our ground will have mounds of snow in our parts until summer. I'm talking mounds, as in BIG mounds...everywhere.
Have a grand day.

Garden Girl said...

Hey Lid,
You are just a TREASURE TROVE of information! I am always learning something when I stop by.
Don't you love messing with kids' minds? I remember when I would give my Mom that look, after I went to my room! LOL

beckyjomama said...

A - those were some seriously frightening sideburns... WOW!

B - those kinda looks are EXACTLY why I am prying for Jesus to come back before my girls hit the teens

C - I posted my letter to me yesterday ... kinda fun to write.

D - WOW ... still thinkin' about the sideburns!

Laurie Ann said...

I love the look on her face, LOL! Floyd Cramer...seems like I remember commercials where they would sell his music - back then you had your choice of albums or cassette. See? I have forgotten if cassette has one s or two. Oh, bother. Great post, Linda! Off to google Pink Floyd Cramer now!

Chatty Kelly said...

Have you seen the youtube video on Pachelbel? If not, you must watch, you'll love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM
(mild profanity at the very end).

As for the Taco Bell song...my sister was playing the song "Funky Town" for my 4 yr old, and now she calls it the Taco Belly song. "Talk about it, talk about it, talk about it." OR taco belly, taco belly. Whatever.

Tammy said...

LOL! I love that look on her face. I'm sure my daughter will perfect that look sometime in the next 5 years!

InstantAmber said...

Amazing. I love piano and wish I learned to play when I was young. I guess it's never too late.

I have never heard of Floyd Kramer before, so thanks! Sharing is caring.

skoots1mom said...

i used to play slip notes on my trumpet...it was fun...and very addictive.

My 16yo has the same face...strange isn't it?!

I used to hear Floyd on the Grand Ole Opry...and at my granny's

Hey, my news of the day...NO CAVITIES! yeah...little things make me happy.

Toia said...

Those dirty looks remind me of the ones I use to give my mom at that age. I think teenagers all share the same look with their parents.

Jerri Phillips said...

My first recital I played "Music Box Dancer" by Floyd Cramer. It was my dad's favorite song at the time. When I got married, the moms walked down the aisle to the same song.

It is the only song I remotely remember how to play on the piano.

The Old Dairy said...

I know that look, get it hourly if I'm having a good day....
Mandy