Saturday, March 28, 2009

Breaking News You Can't Live Without: 30 x 5 is Now Over 60 Strong and What I Had in My Purse

Here we are in our first weekend of the 30 x 5 Challenge!

I don't know about you, but for me, weekends have always been challenging regarding remaining faithful to any eating/moving schedule. It's like suddenly I'm on a cruise and lose all rationality about what I'm eating and doing or not doing. It's "Vacation Mindset" syndrome, and it can really set me back in motivation. And it's only two days!

So today and tomorrow, I'm anticipating some sluggishness of spirit and some distraction from goals. I'm also anticipating the urge to take weekend afternoon naps and dream of chocolate and peanut butter, but I WILL be strong. I'll resist those urges. Do you know why I'll be strong?

Because of you, and that's not just a Kelly Clarkson ballad.

I so badly want to be able to look you in the cyber eye and tell you that I continued to move this weekend and did not lose my forward momentum. As Amrosia said so eloquently in 1978, "That's how much I feel, feel for you, Baby."

Keep sending me your reports as you feel like it because I am really enjoying reading them. Some of you are experiencing very inclement weather and uncooperative muscles, yet you are pushing through the obstacles. And to that I say: Did you ever know that you're my hero? You're everything I would like to be. I can fly higher than an eagle; You are the wind beneath my "wings," which is just my cute nickname for my upper arms.

To help keep us energized and focused, how about committing a random act of kindness this weekend by choosing four people from the list at the right and dropping them a note of encouragement? You could do two today and two tomorrow.

Let's build some community along with building muscles.

Wow. I just made that up, and it ranks right up there with Tony Robbins' stuff.

Tony has a new book out called The Power to Shape Your Destiny. After that great tag line I just made up, I think I'm going to write a book about the 30 x 5 Challenge: The Power to Re-Shape the Junk in Your Trunk.

So keep at it, and always remember, when you're in Target and your purse feels entirely too heavy, it may be because you forgot that you put a grapefruit in it before work yesterday.






The winner of the book in which I'm a contributor, A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers and Daughters, goes to new blogger
Kathy at KLS'S Korner. Congrats, Kathy! It's always fun to see a new blogger win something. I would autograph it, but my signature would be bigger than my actual contribution, so let's just leave it at that. Thanks again to Five Minutes for Moms for hosting this annual extravaganza.

29 comments:

Shawna said...

I blogged about my "30" today here:

shawna-mygirls.blogspot.com

Kim said...

Love those cute little 70s and 80s song references you so casually throw about :-) My art teacher plays a combination of instrumental meditation type music and golden oldies from the last few decades during class each week. I never know what I'm going to hear. I'm not good with names (of songs or musicians) but I'm amazed at the amount of lyrics I can lip sync to! Although it feels a little weird to be the only one in class actually understanding the words -- no one else speaks English -- but they all like the music :-)

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Ok Linda! Day 3!! And I'm still hanging in there!! I even set my clock alarm last night just so I could get up this morning to "move"!! On a Saturday no less!! Guess that means I'm committed to this thing!

Thanks so much for the challenge!!

~Beth

H-Mama said...

Is that an orange I see? Between the two of us we could have a fruit basket! Ha! Read my blog about the banana... lol.

I must admit my day snowballed yesterday and I didn't make it on the treadmill (it was rainy and hailing outside. ugh.) but I am on it today! yay!

Susan D said...

Hey Linda, I notice that Laurie's link is not connected (Laurie at A Texas Contemporary Fine Artist). Have you seen her work yet? She is so very talented and gifted. I'm taking up your second challenge to encourage four from the list. Blessings, SusanD

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Got it fixed, Susan, thanks!

Jenny said...

I blogged about my 30 minutes Friday. I started on Thursday and then came down with some nasty virus, so I'm hoping to get back on track when this nastiness leaves my body..ughh..
You may want to lysol your blog because it's going around;)

Chatty Kelly said...

Thursday & Friday went great. Today is rainy, darkish, and (*yawn*) I'm tired. But, I could take off Sat & Sun, because you said 5 days a week, which means 2 days off. (Am I good at math or what?)

I'll try to do something today, but if not, I will definitely tomorrow.

By the way, I always new you were fruity...I just didn't know it was grape-fruity. LOL.

Dena said...

Linda I think it's great you're doing the 30x5 and I'd be right there sweatin' along with the rest of you, but my doctor has said "Not yet".

Regarding the purse...Mine always weighs a ton too, but it's usually because I toss a bottle of water in it. It's amazing we dont walk around like the Hunchback with one shoulder lower.

Mrs. E said...

The 30 minute challenge is proving to be a challenge. You can ready my "fun" here. http://erickfam.blogspot.com/2009/03/march-madness.html

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Congrats on the book, Linda!!

Heather of the EO said...

You rock. Love what you're doing here. You're so creative and I LOVE all the song references.

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

So I forgot to set the alarm last night and then woke up with a sore throat and stuffy nose this morning... I thought challenge smallenge - don't feel good, not doing it. (Sorry, I don't think in whole sentences before caffeine.)

Then I thought of the others who committed to do this thing! Mostly I thought of you and having to face you in RL tomorrow...

So I whined my way upstairs and put in 30 on the treadmill.

Now I'm going to try to improve my attitude by visiting four others as you requested.

Heth said...

Have I told...you lately...that I love you?

This post had me giggling.

LuAnn said...

O.k. - Do I get any extra credit today. Just got back from my 45 minute walk. I can't even smile because my face froze along the way. The temp right now is 28 and the wind going strong.
But can I say this - Do I ever feel great after that walk. And I know I wouldn't have gone today if it weren't for this challenge. Because then I would have nothing to write about.
So a BIG Thank you!!!!!!

Also - go encourage someone today!!!

Susanne said...

So fun. I'm picking 4 people whom I've never met before to go and visit.

Betty said...

I didn't dare come here to comment until I had completed my 30 minute jog. Mission accomplished! I wouldn't have done it without your inspiration, Linda.

Hugs,
Betty

Wifey Dessert said...

i absolutely understand about the grapefruit.. i did all my grocery shopping yesterday with a sleeve of saltines in my purse from lunch... and i love those song quotes.. and now one more for you... "i like to move it, move it!!"

Teri~Facedown said...

I'm cruising along on day 3. Did the stairs at school yesterday, and walked briskly around campus. Walked today for about ten minutes and will do the rest on the treadmill in a while. Eating has been really good! YAY!

Esthermay said...

Funny. But . . . has your citrus fruit ever begun the fermentation process in your handbag???? Hmmmm?
As for the results of what's it called again? . . . 30x5?
Here's mine:
*raspberries* Yeah. right!!!
bwahahahah!!
But God Bless you all!!!!!

skoots1mom said...

My "warped" exercise 2day--
played with a doggie (for about 10 mins--yes,strength training, holding on while he yanked a toy back and forth...almost pulling my wrist off my arme)...
Then, emptied/filled the dishwasher (bicep/waist work, kinda/sorta)...
Finally, walked from car into Johnny Carino's--then back out to the car...(after eating only half a plate of artichoke-olive-tomato-capers-pasta!)

~:)

Kathy said...

Thanks, Linda! I'm excited to receive the book.

I've been continuing to walk with my daughter in the mornings when she does her paper route - so far no more papers on the roof!!

Kathy S.

PJ said...

I blogged mine yesterday...but I "moved" again this morning!!! Fer real!!

Debbie said...

I actually wondered about the day you chose to start this because it was so close to a weekend and they are so tough!

Sandy said...

Good for you, keeping up on the weekend and what a great idea about encouraging someone else.

Since I was a week late to this I won't report really but will do something everyday. I've been duty heavy duty yard work, lots of bending and pulling and lifting and that's about it, sometimes walking or hiking. That will have to do for now...

But I enjoy reading you..

Hayley said...

Got my workout in today....walked about 1 1/2 miles and ran a little too. Pushed the kids on the swings too....that has to count as something. :) Glad it was nice enough to get outside today!!

Faith said...

I just found out about this! can I still participate? and does the Wii Fit workouts count?? I do them daily so....I also power walk about 20-30 min every day (or most days if not pouring rain). this looks awesome...found out about it from Susanne at living to tell the story!

Mia said...

30 x 5 ya say? And only for two weeks? I might be able to manage. I won't "officially" join.. but I think I'm gonna play along. Just ordered the trainer video for Wii - we shall see!

Kathy said...

Hi, Linda!

We got back from Spring Break on Saturday and my copy of A Cup of Comfort Devotional for Mothers & Daughters was waiting for me in the mail! I was so excited to open it and share it with my daughters. They were not quite as excited as I was - except my four-year-old who loves any excuse to jump up & down - especially with Mommy. I have hope for the older two girls, though. :-)
Thanks so much for offering the chance to win a prize - I know we'll be blessed by it!