Friday, March 27, 2009

30 x 5 Update and What Happened When I Kissed My Son






All I can say is, "Wow!" What a great start we had yesterday! I couldn't get around to visit everyone's site, but I sure would love to. And I was so excited when your reports started rolling in. You are all my new heroes.

I'm sharing this picture of a budding tree to make a trite point that millions of people have made before me, but what the heck: We are this tree. We look kinda sketchy just getting started and all, but we hold promise. You'll notice that the one bud in the crook of the limb is kind of more advanced than the others. That would be those of you who exercised AN HOUR on the first day. You have a halo. Or, that bud could represent those of you who simply worked up a sweat, excuse me, I mean "glow."

At any rate, you did not disappoint. Please try to visit a couple of people on the list at the right so that we can encourage each other and build community.

And now I move on to another topic because I just can't be all "leader-y" all the time. I need a break from me.

As I'm writing this, it's actually 10:28 pm Thursday, and I'm sitting with a blanket wrapped around me because I'm cold (this happens a lot at night, kind of like reptiles cooling when the sun goes down).

I'm really wishing I had a Snuggie right now because I'm rolling all over this blanket in my desk chair and tolerating make-do sleeves, which now that I've been enlightened that blankets with sleeves exist, I know I should not have to do without one. Did I tell you my college son and his dorm mate ordered Snuggies? Just because they think they're ridiculous.

Oh, my son. He is a piece of work. When he was here for his birthday, as he left, his dad said, "Hug your mother." So Jordan stopped, and I hugged him, and he tolerated me like I was a blanket with no sleeves. I mean he was just waiting for the moment to end, while I was hanging onto every moment and remembering how sweet he was when I would pick him up from his naps, etc.

Anyway, something possessed me to kiss the boy, which I haven't done since, like, 1992, and when I released my hug hold on him to back up slightly to kiss him, he juked me. Yes, you read that right.

For those of you like me: "Juke" = mislead, distract the opponent by making a planned diversion (in football); fake, perform a diversionary tactic, feint; move in a zigzag manner.

He zig zagged to escape and ended up with a big ol' kiss planted awkwardly and yet precisely on his right eye.

He said, "Oh, ugh! You kissed my eye!"

Immediately I remembered Lucy's rant, ""Auugh! Get hot water! Get some disinfectant! Get some iodine!"

But I checked the sarcasm and said, "If you hadn't been in such a hurry to ditch your mom, you would've had a kiss on the side of the face, like a normal person."

We are a warm and happy family.



But from now on, I'm going to treat Zoe with a little more respect when she kisses me. Even if it's on my eye.

34 comments:

40winkzzz said...

Well, kiss my eye.
(Sorry. I was going to say something like, "Well, that's what he gets for dodging his mama", but instead the above came out.)

Sandy said...

hahahha, sounds like me trying to give one of my sons a kiss!...well not really, just one of them would duck and run..

I guess there is some kind of exercise thing going on ..I'll have to check into this, I could use some of that.

Tabi said...

I think my heart just broke a tiny bit...I am not at all ready to be juked by my boy! Do they have to grow up?

Dena said...

(and he tolerated me like I was a blanket with no sleeves.) <-- that is my son completely! I think he'd pass out if my lips actually touched his cheek.

On a side note....I never knew, until this very moment that the words to the song you included were "because your kiss is on my LIST" I have always thought the word was "LIPS" not list. I'm a little embarrassed at all the times I've sang it wrong, and no one told me. ACK!

Chatty Kelly said...

Snuggie - the cult following. LOL! Even my 5 yr old knows what a snuggie is. She wants one. She says "Blankets slip and slide." STEP AWAY FROM THE TV!

Just tell your son he is the apple of your eye, so you kissed his.
:-)

Rach@In His Hands said...

Oh, you poor Mama. The joys I have to look forward to. ;-) I'm sure in a few years Jordan won't juke anymore.

Holy smokes! Look at all our 30 x 5 Sistas! I'm off to visit some of them.

Jenny said...

I am not looking forward to the day my son won't let me kiss him..

I need one of those snuggies as well, I am always wearing a sweater to cover my arms and a blanket to cover the rest of me:(

Laundry Lady said...

The tears came with the holding on & remembering picking him up from his naps. My baby boy is pushing 11 and his hugging moments are fewer and fewer. :( I miss those naps.

Mocha with Linda said...

I knew better than to click on that song. It started going through my brain before I even touched it.

Maybe your son just wanted to add to your 30x5 by making you chase him!

Hayley said...

Awww....my DS is only 5, so he still enjoys hugs and kisses, but I am NOT looking forward to the day it will all change. Makes me sad to think about it.

And, your son had it coming for "juking" you! LOL.

Heth said...

Sons should NEVER juke their mothers.

What does he think of his snuggie? Does he secretly like it and use it?

Betty said...

Well, you'll be proud of me- I did a full hour yesterday, and just now I returned from a 30 minute jog!

On a 30x5 roll! And I have you to thank- I wouldn't have gotten off my lazy but had it not been for your challenge.

And thank you for reminding me that I'd better enjoy my son being a 5th grader- he still tolerates affection from mama.

Hugs,
Betty

Brooke said...

today's movement is 5K training - run 3 minutes, walk 1.5, run 5, walk 2, and so on...

H-Mama said...

poor mama! i'm not ready for my girls to grow up!

as for the snuggie... if you have a robe, just put it on backwards. ha...

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

You know those boys use those Snuggies and just have a secret agreement to say the "ridiculous" thing becuse college guys with Snuggies would be uncool! As would letting your Mom kiss you... like most things with kids, this too shall pass.

15 minutes of weights and 15 minutes on the treadmill for today.
That makes us down to 30x3 left for this week- go us!

Kaye Butler said...

OMG, we did not know about the Snuggies. MaryMargaret would so love one of those!

My nephews don't like kisses anymore, so I make sure I load up with red lipstick and smack them before they walk out the door. I get some serious "Crazy" looks from them.

Walked 1 hour at the track. Updates on the blog!

Rachel said...

I posted my activities on my blog today!

The Peanuts reference is SO funny!!!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I'm snowed in. It will be a few days before I get moving.

skoots1mom said...

my dd actually hugged me back the last time i hugged her...and that sure beats the STIFF BOARD she's been, since about the age of 14.

it's pouring...so elliptical will be my torture of choice 2day!!

Mel said...

Thanks for the big smiles!!!!!!

My Army Brats and Me said...

They never get to old for a big hug and a kiss. I am not looking forward to them running from this Mama.

skoots1mom said...

ok..checking in...
BS&K and I finished around 2:45pm
This is our actual 3rd week of working out together
Feeling better!


5mi/bike
10mins/elliptical
free weights/arms,thighs

Shawna said...

Linda, is it too late to join? I know I'm a day behind, but I'm just now reading about the challenge. I'd love for you to add me to your list.

shawna-mygirls.blogspot.com

Susan D said...

My daughter's like that. I find it annoying at times. You'd think I had cooties or something. :) My day two is posted. Thanks for the challenge. Blessings, SusanD

Dita said...

THat is so FUNNY! I am starting to get the sidestep from my soon to be 10 year old...I can only imagine what he will do when he's your son's age! I can still grab him and plant a big slobbery kiss on his lips...oh, how it irks him!

I found your blog through Tonngu Mama's blog and unbeknownst to me...I actually started the challenge with all of you 2 days ago when I realized that I would rather walk over hot coals then buy new clothes. I have actually done 30 minutes both Thursday and today so please count me in...I love that there are about 50 other women going through the same torture as I am at the same time!

I'm Dita and my blog is
www.ditasdarlings.blogspot.com

I'm enjoying your blog and will be catching up here for a while, it looks like!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Debbie said...

How funny! You just gotta love a son like that - mostly cause it drives them crazy when you do:)

Brenda Susan said...

My sides hurt from the moves I did yesterday! I am used to only exercising on the week end, this is hard to fit in! Still trying though!

Esthermay said...

"Juked?"
Is this what Hillary did to Bill so as to kiss the more handsome Savior a few months back?
---
That's sad about the kiss-- i.e., you and son. NOT the Obamacrats In my world: Now that we have two little ones that LOVE hugs and kisses, the older kids (I think) get jealous. Here's an idea: Have a couple more kids -- yeah! then the first batch will love on you as a big-sibling example! :)
Works for us.

Technonana said...

That's okay, Mama, one day he will cherish every kiss you give him, just give him time!!
For a son, there is nothing like the love of his mother as he grows older!! I can say that, because I see how much my sweet man loves his 83yr old mama, and how my own sweet adult son loves me!!

marina said...

these is a good post ,
I even remember too walk a bit more thanks too you ") marina

Susanne said...

I had no idea there was an official term for the dodging of the mama kiss. But if it makes you feel better, while I've never been juked as of yet, on the rare occasion when I try to give the kid a hug and kiss it's like hugging and kissing a tree on the cheek. He get's all stiff as a board and scrunches up his face.

Does walking around a big mall in the big city count for my 30 mins. today?

My ADHD Me said...

OK, I am 2 and 2 so far (positive). Had LOTS of excuses.....maybe I'll just hold on to them for another day.

accountability---a BAAAAD WORD!!

Pam Warden Art said...

Hi funny girl :) I started reading your post at your sons pic. I'm blog hopping. I cracked up, my sons do the same. They become huge expressionless trees while I'm the goofy monkey hopping around hugging them...but, I thought, "how odd Linda felt like a "blanket with no sleeves"." She usually has such a mastery over the language. Ok, so then I scrolled up, you know, to the beginning which is usually the best place to start reading a blog, and understood. Ha!
Love you,
Pam

The Davidson Den said...

Oh, my goodness! Snuggies are SO cool!!! At least they seem to be. I don't actually HAVE one, but my little boy and I have been thinking they make a WHOLE lot of sense! :) (see: http://davidsonden.blogspot.com/2009/02/snips-snails-pretty-pigtails.html) haha

And, ummmm....my "30 x 5" report is embarrassingly horrible. I managed to get in about 10 minutes of Wii boxing with my children on Thursday. And, well, um...that's it. I've "moved" from room to room toting laundry baskets or children or toys, but that is NOT toning my arms NOR my posterior. boo hoo hoo hoo!!