Thursday, April 09, 2009

Our Season Conclusion of: 30 Minutes of Moving for at Least 5 Days for 2 Weeks!


Yes, it was a Thursday, March 26, to be exact, when we started this endeavor, which right off the bat threw a bunch of you off because who starts anything healthy on a Thursday?

Uh, we do.

Because if you wait until the "right" day, there's going to be a reason to stall before you can say, "chocolate Easter bunny."

Once, when I worked for Weight Watchers, I made this giant calendar on a flip chart with all of the regular holidays highlighted. We tend to slack off of our eating/moving plans on holidays, don't we?

Then I marked all of the non major holidays, like St. Patrick's Day. Did you eat a little somethin'-somethin' on that day this year? I'll bet you did.

Then I added generic holidays, like, say, four birthdays per year per family, just as a guesstimate. Plus, there are anniversaries, graduations and baby showers, etc.

And who could forget the family vacation?

By the time I was finished, there were more "holidays" vulnerable to overeating than regular days of the year!

So if you apply that same principle to moving, there's always a reason to stall:

1. It's THURSDAY, for Pete's sake!
2. I'm a morning (noon, evening) person, so I'll start tomorrow at that time.
3. I have a cold.
4. I'm thinking about catching a cold.

And on and on. So we just jumped right in before our minds had time to sabotage us.

Clever little bloggers, aren't we.

So here are some observations pertinent to my experience. After that, please sign in with Mr. Linky and let us read what your experience has been like. Feel free to be honest and brief, if you like.

1. This was fun. I liked knowing you all were out there moving along with me.

2. I did pretty well. Yesterday I didn't get to move, which technically was my third day of non-movement, which is disappointing, but overall, I kept my commitment.

3. I did watch my food intake, which was not part of the deal, but I just wanted to. The first week and a half, I was really faithful to my plan. The last half of this week, not so much. I felt better physically the first week, and I think it's because I controlled myself a little more. That motivates me to return to goodness.

4. I do enjoy the elliptical machine, especially when Dr. Phil is on. Time flies when he's on a rant full of metaphors about hunting dogs and something else I didn't understand.

5. I'm ready for warmer weather so that I can get outside because I love to see the sky when I'm walking/jogging. It's a spiritual experience for me. Some people love the mountains or the ocean; I love the sky. I pray best when I'm walking outside.

6. You guys are rugged. Some of you tromped through snow to get your 30 in. Others juggled small kids and illnesses. That's amazing, and you should be commended. In fact, if you finished the 30 x 5, you deserve an award, which I hereby present to you by the powers vested in me by our 30 x 5 icon and supreme leader, Greer Childers of Body Flex Deep Breathing:







And for those of you who didn't quite make it to completion and can relate to the cat in this video, I offer you:





Anyway, I hope you had fun.

I want to take Good Friday through Easter off of blogging, but I'm coming back Monday with a new proposition that you do not want to miss. Why? Because we need to keep our mojo movin', that's why.

OK--now let's hear what you have to say about the 30 x 5 Challenge!



34 comments:

Rach@In His Hands said...

Wahoo 30 x 5 Ladies!!!!

I had a fantastic first week....and then I went home to my parents and fell off the wagon (or is it the treadmill?) a bit. BUT I'm back on!

Thanks for hosting, lady! Can't wait to hear what you've got cooked up for Monday!

I'm off to do my deep breathing now....

DidiLyn said...

Thanks for doing this, Liddie. It really has been the boost I've needed to get moving again. Two weeks was just what it took to make my "wogging" habit stick again. Can't wait to see what is coming up for Monday. :-)
Happy Easter, my friend.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I deserve the second award, definitely. But I still lost six pounds or so. Hate me - go ahead, I can take it.

Renna said...

Well, I almost wish I had failed so I could get the losers...er..I mean 'those who didn't finish' award, since it's so darn cute. ;-)

I did finish. There was one day I didn't make my walk, but I worked so hard that day around the house, that I definitely did move.

I'm taking my winner's button and going home! ;-)

Becky said...

OK, I don't know how I missed that video before. That is stinkin' hilarious!!!

Shawna said...

I've been missing you, Little Lady. All that exercising is keeping you away from my blog. Don't THINK I haven't noticed! Hmph. (I'm very pouty right now.)

Do you see my link up there after your post? Click on it. I believe you know what to do after that.

mtnest423 said...

You realize that your blog button for the 30x5 challenge says through 4-10, but today is 4-9, right?

So we've got to keep moving for at least another day. :)

R.L.Scovens said...

This has been a great experience. It was just the kick start I needed!!LOL

Chatty Kelly said...

You made us awards!! You rock. I can't wait to see what you have in mind for Monday. :-)

Have a really blessed Easter. And go ahead and eat that bunny, you deserve it.

mtnest423 said...

For some reason I'm not able to add my link to Mister Linky. I've tried twice. :(

Mocha with Linda said...

So now besides exercising you're gonna make us fast, huh? No 2nd cup for 3 whole days?!

Debbie said...

I'm afraid I am a recipient of that second award too! Oh well.
Have a great Easter weekend Linda.

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

This was great! It really helped motivate me to move. I can't wait to see what Monday's Challenge will be.

I've posted about my Challenge experience here.

Thanks for doing this Linda and thanks to those who stopped by with words of encouragement.

Susanne said...

Well, I can take the 30x5 for the first week and the cat for the second week. I failed miserably. Something about my girl visiting and me still working during the day. So squeezing every minute I could with the girl sorta trumped exercising for this week but I will get back to it next week.

Happy Easter! You're not gonna make us confess to how many chocolate bunnies we eat are you?

My ADHD Me said...

"So we just jumped right in before our minds had time to sabotage us"

I didn't jump fast enough....sigh.

But it rained one day....and who starts a program like this on a Thursday....it was cold.....it was Hot (Virginia weather is finicky)....
I was busy.....I was tired......

Greg C said...

I'm with Kelly, 30 seconds is long enough, lol.

Brooke said...

i did it!! :)

Angela said...

Oh you are funny and I really did have a cold. LOL....I am going to link up--it will probably be later today...it has been a rough two days!

rita said...

Hadn't visited your site in a while. Every time I do, it is a delightful fun-filled surprise.
I didn't do the 5x30, but yesterday was National Start Walking Day! Didya know? So, I indeed did start the walking program, as promoted in Prevention mag.
Blessings!

Mia said...

I was WONDERING if you were gonna do it again :). Can't say as I made it every day - but it definitely put "movement" more on my mind and I hiked up a few more giant hills than I would have otherwise :) AND I bought another Wii workout game.

Thanks to you :)

Rachel said...

Well... I am so the cat on the treadmill. Just sayin'.

Kelly said...

Thanks so much for the kick start. I've walked in cold, in rain, in the neighborhood and at the beach. It helped me realize that 30 minutes 5 times a week isn't really that much. The walks have been a blessing. One that I'm going to afford myself at least 30 minutes 5 times a week! Thanks again!

Theresa said...

I too thank you for getting me started doing something that I REALLY needed to do! I am thoroughly enjoying the walking. Weather has been cold so I have been walking at the mall. I love to shop but I can't shop until the walk is finished. Keeping my shoes in the car so, no excuses:) I will keep it up, THANKS!!!!!!

LuAnn said...

Yeah!!!! I missed a few days but got right back to it.
This was fun and fun to hear how others did too.
Thanks Linda!!!

Jenny said...

Thanks for the award Linda:) This was fun, can't wait for the next challenge.

Julie said...

Yea, I didn't sign up so I'm not commenting about how well I did, cause I didn't do it...

BUT, I am commenting on your walks and seeing the sky..

I LOVE the sky. I am constantly aware of the verse in Nahum 1:8, "The clouds are but the dust of His feet"...when I'm looking at the sky. I think that's why I love it so much... I'm looking at His feet all over the place.

Have a blessed day!

Bobbi said...

I made it. Missed a weekday but substituted a weekend day!!! Yay me!

Mimi said...

Wow!you're a great motivator. Maybe I'll start the challenge on my own.

Linda said...

I am just starting to feel human, so hopefully I can do the challenge (a little late) soon. Thanks for motivating!

M & M said...

I finished my 30x5 challenge when I had my Track meet!!!:)

marina said...

I am sorrry I havae not been coming around a little busy but I did read on monday where you had more snow so sad praying your will have warmmer weather soon.
Happpy Easter my friend. hugs marina

annie's eyes said...

Dropping by this EASTER morning to wish you a happy Easter. I hope you and your family have a glorious day--Easter blessings! Love, Annette

Kathryn Magendie said...

OMG -that breather lady - my sis in law gave me that tape -- it's ...it's....um....erk...I breathed all right - when I was laughing me arse off, teehehehe

The Davidson Den said...

ugh.
Lori