Wednesday, April 08, 2009

American Idol Wrap-Up & Oh No It Dit'n!

Oh yes it did snow, right on April 7, right on my little deck where my deck furniture should be unpacked and unstacked and my hinder should be upon it.

Unbelievable.

And the nerve of DeeDee at Fiddledeedee to post: On Saturday, Fiddledaddy took the children out of the house to go swimming. Because Florida forgot Spring and rocketed directly into Summer.

For realsies, DeeDee?

So I'm watching American Idol right now, and tonight's theme is "Contestants Pick a Song a From the Year They Were Born." Wow. We're reaching clear back to 'N Sync.

Speaking of reaching back, they showed the judges' baby pictures tonight, and Ryan's pic was the cutest of all because he had little big bunny teeth. Completely adorable.

The oldest contestant, Danny Gokey, was born in 1980. Sigh. I am old. Ye olde, to be exact.

Glad we got the enigma of Lil Rounds' name cleared up. She is, thank goodness, not "Lih-ull Rounds," as Simon calls her. "Lil" is in fact the diminutive of Lillian. And so we can learn from this that "Li'l Kim," the rapper turned "Dancing With the Stars" star, is not "Li'l" as in "little" at all. She is actually "Lillian Kim," which immediately klassies her up a little bit. Same with "Li'l Richard." He is in fact "Lillian Richard," which suits him like an Alfred Dunner ensemble fits Beyonce.

I know this isn't an original comment, but I do think so far that everyone's just mediocre tonight, truly like pretty good karaoke.

I like Anoop, but I think his look needs some polishing up. Last week Scott had a new 'do, and I'd like to see Anoop get a makeover, too. He looks very boyish, which is great if you are Anoop's mom or grandmom, but after all, as Ryan says, this is American Idol.

That sounds really bad. I'd hate to think what Anoop would say if he decided to critique me. Especially since I'm sitting here in pajamas eating almonds out of a can.

By the way, the can my almonds are in is exactly the same shape/height as my Italian bread crumb can, which is what I accidentally pulled out of the cabinet and sat down with here at the computer to eat. "Yep, just gnoshin' on some Italian bread crumbs! Mmmm!"

I've noticed my appetite has picked up in the last couple of days. Probably because I'm exercising more. But I'm still not going for bread crumbs.

OK--the show is back on.

The songs these people are choosing are terrible! Point in fact: Survivor "The Search is Over?"

Really? Oh, I think maybe the competition is over for Scott. But he is so sweet.
Why does everyone look so young?

Oh yeah, I forgot: "Sigh. I am old. Ye olde."

What did you think of Allison Iraheta's version of "I Can't Make You Love Me?" I thought it was all right, but I'd probably leave Bonnie Raitt alone, just as they should leave Whitney, Mariah, Aretha, Christina, and Kathie Lee Gifford alone.

Did you catch the "How Lovely to Be a Woman" Walmart commercial? Don't know who's singing it, but I'm suspicious. Where has Megan Joy Quarky Corkrey been lately? I think she might have slipped one over on us in this commercial.

OK, the judges went nuts for Matt Giraud and Adam Lambert. I'm not getting it.

I didn't even recognize Adam's song, and apparently, upon Googling it, I found it was originally done by Tears for Fears, the group which recorded one of my all-time favorite songs ever, "Everybody Wants to Rule the World."

Ok, I just looked at a couple of videos of this song, and I def prefer the 1982 original to the others. Go 80s! Ye olde 80s.

Well, time to sign off here because I've got a Ken Lee Cake in the oven (seriously, I do) and Biggest Loser waiting on Tivo.



30 x 5'ers: Tomorrow, Thursday the 9th, is the day you are supposed to post a little somethin'-somethin' about this experience, good, bad or indifferent, and link up here. Then we can all share. Last time I tried this, like four people linked up. Now you have had plenty of warning time, so get thinkin' about what you want to say. It doesn't have to be a dissertation, just a few lines will do.

My plan is that we will call it a day (call it a two weeks?) and rest over Easter. And then I'd like to propose one more idea along these lines.

Remember: Leave those chocolate bunnies ears INTACT. And link up tomorrow!

26 comments:

Linda Vujnov said...

Thanks, now I don't have to watch American Idol on Tivo. You rock...in the 80's like me!

calista said...

My DVR quit right before Adam sang.....I was sick. I don't even like him, but I can't wait to see what strange thing he's gonna do each week. And,,,I wanted to see if he looked normal as a little kid!

Becky said...

You are so much fun Linda. I agree with you for the most part on your AI run down. I did think Allison did a great job though. I didn't get to see Adam but he is my fave. Weird, huh?

The Old Dairy said...

I can't wait to see your deck all ready for spring.....

sara said...

I agree with you! no one really just stood out this week. Adams song was just plain weird...but my son loved it..go figure!

sorry for your snow!

Chatty Kelly said...

I am SO ready to link up tomorrow. weeee! I got a little "something-something" for you - complete with hula hoop. ;-) That is all I'm saying.

I thought Idol was SO boring last night. I LOVE Scott and I thought that were mean to him. I can't even imagine doing all he does blind. I thought Danny was boring, Kris was off...and even though the judges about worshiped Adam, I thougth the song was so strange. Off night. I think anyone could go.

Anoop dresses so geeky for a "pop star." And he looks so squeeky clean. That is why they can't picture him doing R&B, it doesn't compute. He needs to slick back his hair and wear leather pants or something.

Okay, well this is nearly a post and pretty random, so I'll sign off now. Enjoy your snow day! ;-)

annie's eyes said...

Oh I can't believe you still have snow. Somebody tell Mother Nature it's April already. We have planted our garden a month ago and have had to replant twice due to freezes. We were so sure we were in the clear, and it froze again last night. Oh well. The eighties sound so recent to me, even "after" my time, since I was diapering and playing young mom and rarely listened to the radio. Oh, well. If you ever feel bad, you know I'm even older than you. Happy Elipticizing.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I DVRed it, so no comment yet. But if I were a contestant, I'd have been forced to choose between the songs Jungle Boogie, The Loco-Motion, Smokin' In The Boys Room and Taking Care Of Business. Thank goodness there's an age limit at Idol.

Oh, and - even with all my whining - I seem to have lost four pounds. How about THAT, huh?

Mocha with Linda said...

You may be olde, but you are youngere than me. Sighe.

KLOVE played a few olde commercial jingles yesterday and the DJ guy didn't even know the one from the 70's. Babies are running this world.

Susanne said...

Eighties music is totally not even on my radar so I didn't recogonize any songs. And that's not because I wasn't born until the '90's either. LOL. We just didn't listen to anything but Christian music during that decade so the whole music scene went right by us.

My pvr stopped one line into Adam's song so haven't a clue how he did.

And I know I didn't do so well this week with the 30x5. Sigh.

Dena said...

I am so upset this morning. I watched BL while letting AI be tivoed. I double checked to make sure it was recording, and it said it was. But, when I got my son off to school and I sat down with my toast to watch it, it wasn't there. ARGH! Tivo let me down! So now I'm searching the www to see if I can where you can supposedly watching things online. My fingers are crossed.

Oh, and the Adam love - I just don't get it either. He kinda skeers me.

Rach@In His Hands said...

I SO wish I had Tivo. We had to flip back and forth between Idol and Biggest Loser......and BL won the most air time. So sad to miss out on some of the performances.

I'll be ready for tomorrow!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Fav comment of the week: "Babies are running this world." Wish I could make it the tagline on my header.

Shawna said...

I cracked up over you accidentally eating bread crumbs. :)

I missed Adam's performance, though he's one of my faves (can't explain why; he's just awesome). We had to switch over to The Mentalist. Do you watch it? Excellent show.

I will link up tomorrow, but you will be disappointed in me, I fear. :(

And I loved Allison. Very strange to hear her singing about activity under the sheets. But she pulled it off. She looks a bit older. And sadly, I believe many 16-year-olds can sing about such topics out of experience.

kristi said...

My DVR stopped and apparently Idol ran past 8:00 so I didn't get to see Adam.

Anoop did good but his EYEBROWS.........ugh...and maybe a spikey haircut would look good on him.

Shawna said...

I'm sure I am young to some and ye olde to others, but when I heard that the oldest AI contender was born in '80 I cringed at his youth. Then I realized he is only three years younger than I. Why oh why did I think there was such a gap between 1977 and 1980? And why were the nineties so long ago even though they seem like last week? I concur with Miss Linda...ye olde. It's the answer to so many questions.

Lois Lane II said...

I need to watch Am. Idol!! I watched last season but haven't got into this one.

My ADHD Me said...

The oldest contestant was born in 1980?

After reading your post...that was the main thing that I kept thinking.

1980???!!!

They're babies, I tell you. Babies!

Tammy said...

Oh, the thought of someone snackin' down on some bread crumbs makes my arm hair stand up! ;-)

And I felt the oldness to last night with the 80's representing. Which was clearly one of the best decades of my life!

Marsha said...

I loved Adam Lambert and I have always loved that song. I actually thought he did a great version of it. Even when I don't particularly care for his arrangement of a particular song, Ring of Fire comes to mine, I think his execution is excellent. I also love Allison and think she is phenomenol for a 16 year old and thought she handled Bonnie Raitt quite well. Danny was good but forgotten in that darn first position and I think Matt was back in top form tonight. I generally like Chris Allen but he was not up to his usual level last night. Lil Rounds needs to get her own style out there. Sound alikes of great singers / songs are not going to cut it and I think she has the talent to stand alone but hasn't shown that since very early on. Anoop was okay but not outstanding, Scott was weak and I think it has nothing to do with whether he is at the piano or standing with a guitar. He wasn't the strongest performer when they chose him and I'm sorry to say I think his disability has gotten him this far. Likable, admirable, by all means but a better singer than some that were left at the gate, no way. For me, Scott, Anoop, Lil and Chris were in the bottom tier tonight in some order or another. I like Scott, but think it's probably time for him to go. Just my opinion.

Hey, I just did my first Idol recap -- in Lidna's comment section!

Marsha said...

Oh, if no one has mentioned it, you can see Idol performances at You Tube. For those whose DVR, like mine, stopped before Adam's performance, search you tube for Adam Lambert. He sang Mad World last night.

Rachel said...

OK, if someone's already posted this I'm sorry but I'm too lazy to scroll through your gazillion comments. :)

Adam's version was (IMHO) very LAME. And I'm not crazy about the Tears for Fears version. BUT if you want a GOOD version of the song (again, IMHO), go listen to Gary Jules's version. It's awesome!

I think Anoop is adorable but you're right, he's just not Idol material.

I still don't get why everyone loves Matt Giraud.

Allison was awesome (as usual) but I thought the song was a little old for her.

And I don't care what the judges said, I LOVED Kris. Be still, my heart.

Smoochiefrog said...

It totally wasn't a super well known Tears for Fears song. I think there were tons of other songs he could have done instead that were a little more known.

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

I don't know which was funnier - "reachiing clear back to 'N Sync" or Ken Lee cake in the oven and The Biggest Loser on Tivo...

I'll be linking tomorrow.

Fiddledeedee said...

Man, Lidna, you really need to dust off your porch.

Well. I'm off to adjust the air conditioner. An actual bead of sweat has formed on my brow.

DeeDee

Debbie said...

Hi! I just stumbled across your blog this morning. You are definitely a girl after my own heart. I do coffee and a whole lot of talking and pondering. I agree with your assessment of this week's AI. I like Anoop because he seems like a good kid. But I really think it's going to come down between Adam & Danny...although I think the judges woould like to see Lil Rounds really cut loose and show her true talent, so I think they are going to give her every possible chance.