Thursday, April 02, 2009

Week 1 Wrap-Up of the 30 x 5 Challenge; We're Half-Way There!



We're doing a week-one wrap up, sure we are, but first things first.


Speaking of wrap-ups. Some of you who are new here don't know that I used to do American Idol Wrap-Ups. I can't exactly say why, but when I started those, my readership really picked up.

So, logically, I have stopped doing them.

The truth is, I haven't been doing AI updates this year because ho-hum. But occasionally I still feel so strongly about some issue that I simply must break through regularly scheduled posts and share AI info with you.

Hence: Adam Lambert? Looks exactly like a young Kurt Russell.

Oh, no, wait--like a young Kurt Russell playing ELVIS--That's IT!

You're welcome.

Now on to the 30 x 5 Challenge gab fest.







Whoa! Time flies when you're kicking your own butt, doesn't it?!

Either it flies, or it crawls like a springtime worm enjoying the muddy view. (What imagery! Tres impressive!)

So--THE question: how has it been for ya?

I'd love for you to link up and talk about any observations you've made this week. For example, you could talk about any or none of the following:

1. What kind of moving around works/doesn't work for you
2. What motivates you: Tell us specifically what your thought process is that gets you up and moving instead of giving into the temptation not to.
3. What effect this has had on you mentally. Honestly. If it made you crabby, say it.
4. What effect it has had physically. You can share lbs lost or not. You can share changes in stamina or the way clothing is starting to feel different. When I first lost 35 lbs a few years ago, the first thing I noticed, for example, was that my jewelry fit differently. No lie.
5. What are your plans for the next 7 days? Are you still in?
6. If anyone dropped by your blog to encourage you, did you like that? Did you encourage anyone else?
7. Do YOU think Adam Lambert looks like Kurt/Elvis? (I ran out of questions temporarily.)
8. Do you have any other goals you're trying to attain?
9. Do you have any food tips to share? (Come back tomorrow for mine.)
10. Why are you glad (play along, Smarty) that you decided to take this challenge?

Or you could talk about how Adam Lambert also sort of resembles 80s singer Richard Marx, if you are old enough to remember Richard Marx.

So let's have it: HOW WAS WEEK ONE OF THE 30 x 5 CHALLENGE??

PLEASE go visit Mary Margaret, a young teenager who is doing this challenge. Ladies, she and her sister, Taylor from Taylor Speaks, are making videos about the 30 x 5! You must go to Tales from 7th Grade and look at the two videos within this post called "Challenge." I promise you it will be worth your time. These two girls live with their aunt, Kaye, who is also participating at Butler Family Diaries

OK, Ladies, brang it on--The official 30 x 5 feedback for week 1!

23 comments:

Susan D said...

Let me just say, THANK YOU, LINDA! This challenge is really what I needed to kick up my workout. I'm much more committed to sticking with it since I'm not going it alone. I haven't lost any weight, but my slacks don't fit at tight in the waist. Big plus! I'll get a post up about food tips soon. I'm definitely sticking it out. Blessings, SusanD

R.L.Scovens said...

This challenge was right on time for me. I've been putting all of my time in on my new Wii Fit, so to be honest, I've had fun. But at this point, I need something different. Gotta switch it up alittle.
I really want moving to become a habit for me!!

mtnest423 said...

Started out with a bang, but ended the week on a whimper. Praying this week will be better!

I appreciate the challenge - and the words of encouragement have been awesome!

Chatty Kelly said...

Ah spontaneous Lid. This same woman who starts a contest on a Thursday of all days SPRINGS a Mr. Linky on us. HELLO??? I pre-write my blog...I cannot just squeeze in a Mr Linky on a moments notice. (*grin*)

Sooo - I will say this has been a hard & bad week for me to be fitting exercise into my already crazy schedule. And today, (my regular exercise day that I do 1 hr at the gym), my 5 yr old puked on the kitchen table at breakfast. Needless to say, I skipped the gym today. Sigh. (is it too early in the morning to say puke on a blog?)

Adam does look like Kurt! I never noticed.

I"ve gained weight since I started this gig - - exercise makes me hungry...dessert anyone?

Jenny said...

Fell off the wagon yesterday, but about to hit the pavement today:) I will post my answers later today..

Susanne said...

I'll try to do a post later today if I can grab a minutes.

My hubby has been told this week that he looks like Kurt Russel. Funny. And now that you mention it, yeah, Kurt and Adam playing Elvis do look alike. So I wonder if I can talk hubby into slicking back the hair so that I can take a pic? LOL.

Rachel said...

I remember Richard Marx, but I don't see the resemblance. I def. see the Kurt Russell resemblance. Even so, Adam still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Can I plead the 5th on the 30X5 questions? Does having food poisoning for 2 days and subsequently barfing all day count for movement? :)

Monogram Queen said...

Not an AI fan this season (still spoiled by the Yaminions/Kellie Pickler/Daughtry/Bucky Covington season. I pink puffy heart Bucky especially and Elliott!
I do think he does look like a young Kurt Russell playing Elvis though!

Anonymous said...

Ah to have Season V back... Adam does rock though! Adore him and yes, Kirk and Elvis combined! Kris and Matt are decent too but I don't get the hype on Danny or Scott at all. Is this all sympathy voting? Allison is cool! Bucky and Elliot are hotties for sure! And, they both can sing rings around most of Season VI, VII and VIII

skoots1mom said...

mine's up...all my info's there...i had a heck of a time with my picasa today...but now is all right w/ the world...
go, you challengettes!!
Keep the pace

(disclaimer: there are two typos on my slide show...and i was not gonna go back a fix it YET AGAIN..so, you'll to deal with b"ucked" which should have been "bucked"...and
the last slide should have read
It's worth it...but my fingers just typed "it's work it"...maybe my fingers know better!

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

You are so right about Adam. I also think he could pass as one of the Jonas Brothers.

Anyhoo, although I didn't do your challenge this time, I lost about 3 pounds in 2 days due to the stomach flu. So, there is an up-side.

Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories said...

This week has been so awesome, Linda - thank you so much. I've stuck with it every day except Sat. and Sun., and have done an hour on the treadmill and 20 minutes doing Tae-bo. Savannah has been my little inspiration, she loves exercising way more than I do.

Betty said...

Heaven knows I haven't lost weight, due to the presence of Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs on the grocery shelves. But I have met and surpassed your 30 x 5 challenge, jogging each day, and I have a lot more energy because of it. I would have spent the past week languishing had it not been for your challenge. Thank you. And yes, I've been in a bad mood, probably because I feel guilty about following up my exercising with boatloads of Easter candy.

Hugs,
Betty

Jessica said...

Thanks for stopping by! I love your blog...the 30x5 challenge is such a good idea! (I read about it on Susan's blog).

Kathy said...

This first week has gone very well. My pants fit a bit looser - need to invest in a belt - not sure I'm far enough to make the jump to a smaller size yet, but hopeful!
My stamina for keeping up with my daughter has definitely increased - although when she really kicks into gear I am still left in the dust. Oh, to be 17 again....

Adam...Kirk...Elvis - which was which again?

Thanks, Linda, for encouraging us!! I'm going to do a blog about how 30 x 5 is going - I'll let you know when it's up!

septembermom said...

30x5 challenge works great for me so far! I'm walking every chance I get. You're right about Kurt Russell looking like Adam. I do remember Richard Marx too!

Renna said...

I will try to get a blog post done about this in the next day or two, but I have been hanging in there. Mostly, my 'moving' has been spring cleaning in and out of the house, but I've also been diligently walking the dogs every night. Before, I might skip a night here or there if I was tired (or too busy reading blogs), but your voice...your blog voice, anyway, has been going off in my head, cheering me on, "you can DO it!". ;-)

Oh, and Leyna and Pepper send their love and appreciation for your part in their getting more regular, and longer, walks.

M & M said...

My sister had to get her hair cut today and we missed our challenge.
Since we walked for an hour all week can we carry over to make up for today?

Thanks for giving us a SHOUT OUT in your blog. It's my first feature ever!!:)

Shawna said...

Linda, are you still visiting those who signed up for the 30x5? I was just checking out some of their blogs, and I must say, this group of ladies is mighty fine. You are all so intriguing and interesting. I'm glad to catch a glimpse of your lives. Good luck with the 30x5 this week. Hope you're all doing better than I am!

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Week one went pretty well and I definitely have more energy if I start the day with exercise, uh, I mean movement. Enjoyed dropping by some blogs I'd never visited and encouraging others. Being "in this together" and it being short term goal helps me stay motivated -well that and having to answer to you...

Week two did not start well as I was a new kind of sick yesterday. Feeling somewhat better today. The good news, I had to have lost weight yesterday!!!

I never got in to AI but I do miss your LOST comments.

Abiding Branch said...

Well the days have been up and down. I am doing this just to stay moving. My dog is loving the walks. :-)
And yes I love Richard Marx, I "hold onto the nights" lol!! I loved that Elvis movie with Kurt in it too. woo hoo

ciara said...

thx for stopping by and letting me in on this challenge. i think i can do it, as that's what i usually try to do. 30 mins 5x a wk. some weeks i'm good, some i'm not. i'll add the badge to my sidebar a little later tonight :)

i love adam on idol. my 12 yr old likes him, too. a. lot. lol

you're also welcome to join us at One Weigh at a Time for a weight loss support, if you're interested. we try to share tips on that blog.

Angela said...

He did channel Elvis for sure! I honestly have been sick all week! And so have my children...but I will post on the 10th I promise you that.