Thursday, May 14, 2009

Vegemite Sandwiches and Internet Cafe


I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich.

~Men at Work "Down Under" 1982

Remember that one? It's going through my mind today because my college graduate (I can still say that less than a week out of the ceremony, right? Please. Let me gloat.) is leaving today for Australia. She will be gone 2 weeks.

At the top of her list of experiences to cull is feeding a wallaby. And that is a sentence I never saw myself ever typing/saying.

I'm happy for her, of course, but the happiness has a melancholy frayed edge because she'll be so far away, flying over the ocean, NOT GOING ANYWHERE ALONE, and ... being so far away. Did I mention it's a 13 hour flight over the ocean? Taking her far away?

Sigh.


Anyway, I asked her if she is going to try a Vegemite sandwich, and she said, "Maybe." (Oh please do, and have someone take your picture at that moment!)








I hear that it's flavor is reminiscent of beef bouillon with the thickness of peanut butter.








She visited me yesterday afternoon before returning to her campus last night. Here she is after visiting with me and before a date with her boyfriend, taking a nap. How many moms out there know what this picture does to my heart?




Speaking of moms' hearts and graduates, please join me at Internet Cafe today, where I have written a letter to graduates. I will probably tweak this for the general public and use it for my next newspaper column, too.






In the meantime, tonight, I have a Season Finale of Lost party to attend, so that will help with the melancholy. I hope they don't replay that crash scene over and over! [LOST Aussie Claire]

*EDIT 5/14 6:00 AM: OHmygosh, LOST was phenomenal. The creative genius behind this show is stunning. I've never seen anything like it on TV. I have a theory (at 5:30 AM as soon as my eyes opened this morning) that Aaron plays figuratively either as Jacob or as a "warrior" in a spiritual sense who comes back next season. But that also leaves the burning question: Who/why is WALT?!


24 comments:

Michelle said...

Great now I want a vegemite sandwich...Love them by the way....Have a good day

My ADHD Me said...

Ha. My April 23 post was all about Vegemite sandwiches and my Tuesday April 28 guest was this Men Ar Work video.

Great Minds think alike. lol

SanDe said...

There is nothing like the smell of vegemite toast in the morning. My old man trowls it on his toast like a bricky pining for 'smoko' [translation; smoko = morning tea; bricky = bricky layer; old man = husband].

Here's a thought. I can get my hands on some little vegemites, the food not the kids as Aussie ankle biters are often called. If anyone wants to taste this Down Under culinary delight, email me with your details and I will get it out to you.

Hiz Babe ...... on the back and upside down = down under

Jewelz said...

If she's gonna eat a vegemite sandwich, tell her to make sure that she puts the vegemite on thinly :)
Otherwise she'll hate it.


Signed,
An Australian who wants to give an American a fair chance at liking Vegemite

Joyce said...

I know what that picture does to your heart!

Both my girls are across the ocean so I understand the anxiety and emotion that goes along with that.

Hope your daughter has a wonderful trip!

Kim said...

:::raising my hand::: add me to the list of knowing what that pic does to your heart. One of my fav pics of my Peanut is of her taking a nap on Gma's sofa. *sigh*

Anxiously awaiting news that my kiddo has arrived safe and sound in S. Africa today.....and praying yours has arrived Down Under ready to enjoy (or at least try) her vegemite. (I've heard it's pretty disgusting. LOL!)

sara said...

I do know what that picture does to your heart!!!

How exciting for your daughter and thank goodness there is the internet...no excuses for not hearing from her!!!

heading over to internet cafe!

Out Back said...

I agree with Jewelz.

Spread that vegemite very thinly otherwise she won't be able to eat it.

Don't listen to any aussies telling you it has to be on there thick. They'd be pullin' ya leg!

Mocha with Linda said...

Aww, the picture on the couch is so sweet!

I loved your Cafe post, especially the C. S. Lewis quote. You are so wise and have such a way with words.

Hope Katie has a great time Upside Down!

Chatty Kelly said...

I was going to say my sister just blogged about this, but she beat me to it. Great minds indeed.

Hope she has a nice safe trip. Lid, you're getting old. A college graduate? I have one starting kindergarten in the fall. How can it be that we are in the same age group? I must be a late bloomer. :-)

Susanne said...

I'm so excited for Katie! She's been able to do some serious travelling! She's living my dream! LOL. And I know exactly how you feel and what that picture does to your heart.

The video totally cracked me up. Boy, it wouldn't win any awards today, would it. LOL.

Greg C said...

I don't come from the Land down under and veggidynamite sounds yucky. I actually don't really care for peanut butter either so there. Best of luck to her. Is she going to swim with Great white sharks while she is there. That isn't on my to do list.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Greg, I think her main goal is to feed a wallaby.

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

LOST was phenominal! Still trying to figure out who the guy with Jacob was at the beginning - who it seemed like had turned himself into John at the end...

Lots of discussion at my house as to whether Jacob is the good guy or the bad guy...

We so need to have lunch so we can have an entire conversation about this show!

laundrylady said...

LOL. I've had a penpal from AUS since I was about 12. She once sent me Vegemite in a care package. I only knew of it from that song as well. I couldn't bring myself to taste it, the smell was more than enough! :)

skoots1mom said...

Have fun, Katie!! wish i was going, too!
Hope she gets to visit Christchurch, NewZealand...it's gorgeous from what my boss used to say

Prayers for a safe tripx2 :)

30x5:
working on my 3 qts of water today...
not in the gym today but getting upper body and waist work while cleaning out our master bedroom closet...
don't you want to help??!!

Angela said...

Girl, you just won the BIG Amy Grant prize over on BooMama's blog! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny said...

I hope she has fun on her trip, I would love to feed a Wallaby.

I was glued to LOST last night and I am soo bummed next season is the last... It will be like mourning FRIENDS all over again.

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Loved LOST..and we have almost identical sofas...I think we are indeed TSAB...
LOST: Is it me, or are we seeing OT tie-ins here: Jacob, Esau, Aaron?
And, even tho' I have never fully liked or trusted Juliet, didn't Sawyer's face and reaction make you almost cry? done typing now...good drugs, great surgical outcome, but every line has 6+ mistakes i'm repairng...thanks for the prayers!

Tammy said...

Congratulations to your "sleeping beauty". And how exciting for her to be going to the Land Down Under.

I hope she gets her wish while there!

Rosina said...

Hehe. Im a Brit so I prefer Marmite to Vegemite. (Never tell an Aussie this. They get quite upset.) My husband calls them both axle grease.

Angie said...

Oh, my goodness...I took one look at the picture with your daughter taking a nap on the couch and my eyes went misty. My daughter just finished her freshman year of college and returned home last week for the summer. I can't describe how good it is to just SEE her every day...eating, sleeping, texting - whatever, it's all good!

2Thinks said...

I so get this post. You'll understand why when you head over to my blog and read Friday's post on Cows and Hearts. You and I are of a like mind, sista. Now if only I can become as famous as you. *wink*

Heidi

Brenda Susan said...

Ha! I HAVE tasted vegemite & Lucy's face says it all! DO NOT LIKE IT! You are so funny!