Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Mango Salsa: Un-Cha!


My friend Cindy can cook. And I'm not even jealous because she reads my blog and that makes everything OK with me. I think blog-love covers a multitude of sins, like someone being talented where I'm not. So even though she's the one who ladled up a can lid out of soup I made for a group once, it's all good.

Plus, she's the one who turned me on to LOST, so, you know, "Live together; die alone." [Kinda like "May the force be with you."]

Anyway, Cindy made this mango salsa, and I've been in the Bahamas ever since tasting it. I thought I would share it with you.

You need:
1 bag of frozen mango chunks, thawed to the point of being still super cold and therefore will slice rather than mush under your knife. Cut into small chunks.

1/4 c. red onion, minced

2 kiwi, peeled and cut up

1/4 c. red pepper, minced

A small handful of cilantro (or as desired), chopped

Juice of two limes

Preparation:

Place all ingredients in bowl; gently fold together until evenly mixed. Refrigerate.




Imagine this ambrosia over grilled chicken or salmon or on chips. Un-cha!


But the whole time I made it, though, I kept hearing the poetic line in my head: "Go and catch a falling star/Get with child a mango root." Which is totally incorrect; the phrase is "mandrake root." John Donne was probably rolling over in his grave laughing at me: "Ditzy blonde!" or maybe swearing: "No where/Lives a woman true and fair." But I am quite pale.

Just like George Michael of Wham! (You'll notice that due to Wham's recurrence in this blog, they have their own post label) probably laughing at me today because I was cooking dinner and belting out, "Last Christmas, I gave you my heart/The very next day, you tore it apart" but apparently, according to my menacing, incorrigible, mocking daughters, the accurate phrase is, "you gave it away."

Then I said, "But 'heart' rhymes with 'apart,'" and my sassy English major daughter said, "They were going for internal rhyme, Mother: 'day-away'."

Good grief.

Just make the mango salsa. It will make you think "WHAM!" and feel like you're in the Bahamas at Christmastime, which is a lot for one salsa to accomplish.

Un-Cha!

18 comments:

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Even tho' I LOVE mango salsa, everytime I hear the word I think about the Geico caveman commercial when the Neanderthal ordered the Duck with Mango Salsa....
oh, well....

Kim said...

Oh my word, mango salsa is one of my FAVS!!! Try it on cajun-blackened tilapia!!! Mmmmmm!!!

Dena said...

I dunno Linda, this seems pretty "out there". I'm just not the relaxed type of girl who mixes fruit and onions together. Ack! Oh and don't even start with me on tomatoes being fruit. Just don't go there.

I'll trust you though and believe that it's yummy. Although, I don't konw how it can be worthy of a mention of Wham! That alone means it must be pretty amazing.

Mrs. E said...

Yum! Sounds wonderful! And simple enough that I may even be able to make this. That is one of my summer goals-- to learn to make a great salsa. So thanks! And thanks to your friend, too.

Tammy said...

YUMMY!!

I had NO earthly idea you could even buy mango in a bag. That in itself is sheer brilliance. Combine that with this recipe and WHAM!

sara said...

this sounds wonderful....even a bit Ken Lee-ish...

Mocha with Linda said...

I'm not big on mangoes. But peach salsa is good.

This post cracked me up. I almost expected to read "Monkeys are funny" somewhere in there.

Hope your busy week is going well!!

Susanne said...

Mmmm yummy! The fam will be happy to drown the salmon I'm making them eat at least once a week in this.

H-Mama said...

it sounds worth a try... thanks ;)

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

On my way out the door now to get some mango and kiwi...

I could certainly use a dose of the Bahamas!

Jenny said...

mmmm sounds good. I need a mini vaca to the bahamas

christy rose said...

Linda,
It does make a person feel so loved when someone takes the time to read what you write and comment to let you know that they have taken the time to be interested in you. It really is a special kind of relationship. I have met some really interesting people in the blogging world. And I am honored and blessed any time someone decides what I have to say is worth coming back to read time and time again.
And mango salsa is one of my favorites, I have never tried making it though. I will have to try her recipie.
Christy

Greg C said...

When I hear Mango Salsa it reminds me of the Geiko commercial where one caveman says I will have the roast duck with the mango salsa and the other one says; I don't have much of an appetite.

I love it when I get comments too. So comment away but please don't mention phase 4. It isn't going well.

lailani said...

That recipe sounds great! and I love messed up lyrics. I murder that Africa song - I swear they say a million men on mars. hehe

Smiles!

Heather of the EO said...

I just attempted mango salsa the other day. It wasn't that great because I forgot to get the mangoes. So I put strawberries in it instead. Yeah, great idea...or something.

I'm loving the frozen mango idea (I like things from a bag)

Dr.John said...

One good salad in a very strange blog.

skoots1mom said...

i have two mangoes in my basket right now, so 2night one will be salsa and tomorrow morning the other will be a mango smoothie :)
thx 4 sharing the how to's

Lois Lane II said...

Oooh - sounds yummy!