Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Wordless Wednesday-What I'm Doing Today


How about "Nearly Wordless Wednesday?"

It's SERVE week here at my church, a week-long blitzing of the city with community service, including things like tearing off shingles, painting, pulling up stumps, planting flowers, visiting nursing homes, having neighborhood block parties, helping to organize public food assistance and women's shelters ... you get the idea. Nearly 130 youth (6th-12th grades) are spending the entire week here as if they are at camp. But the whole SERVE program involves 3 through 19 year-olds.

My main role this year is to be the snack lady at 8:00 pm in our cafe courtyard. After a long day of hard labor, they do love their Oreos and MOUNTAIN DEW. Here is the row of chips, cookies and "drug pop," as I call caffeinated sodas, that I set up before they come in.


Yes, I said "Mountain Dew at 8 pm." Can I also say I'm glad not to be chaperoning them in their rooms at night? Can you imagine all of those teenagers hopped up on drug pop trying to settle down and go to sleep?! But here's how happy they are after grazing on Mt. Sugar which has a river running through it: The Sucrose.


Traditionally on Wednesday of SERVE, we have the hog roast and requisite jump in the lake.

The week culminates on Friday evening with a big free-to-the-community "Party in the Parking Lot" (PIP), where there are tons of free prizes, food, inflatable games, etc., with the goal of blessing the community and opening up an option for people to check out the church.

The first two pics are my Abilenian boss, our youth pastor:








21 comments:

Lelia Chealey said...

Makes me want to go to camp again! I just signed us up for Family Camp over Labor Day weekend at the camp I attended for years as a kid. ~sigh~ I should leave my family over the summer and be a camp counselor and live off of drug pop. I think I will...thanks Lidna! ;)

Sara Bonds said...

Sounds like a ton of fun. What a great time everyone must have there. Great photos.

Happy WW from Sara @ the Mostly Wordless Wednesday H.Q.!

My ADHD Me said...

That looks like a fun day.

Kim said...

I really do miss youth ministry. (did I just say that??? for real???) For weeks like this especially.

Blessings!
Kim

ps...LOVED opening this up and seeing M.C. on here! ;)

Mrs. E said...

Love the concept of serve week!! Looks like you are teaching your youth that serving can be lots of fun, too!

Greg C said...

That slip and slide on the hill looks like so much fun. We don't have hills here though so we can't have fun. I am not into eating pork while it watches me though. I loved the hammertime video in your last post. You crack me up.

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

The kids of our church do something very similar here as well, on slightly smaller scale though. Looks like a hoot!

Blessings
Robin

Dawn said...

Our church/youth have do this for a weekend in February each year. I love that you all do it for a WEEK. Awesome idea!

Blessings!

Chatty Kelly said...

I could have gone...oh, the rest of my life...without seeing the picture of the pig. Really, isn't this a MORNING blog. BLAH!

But, yes, glad you all are having fun.

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

...and a good time was had by all! I'm right there with you on the night time chaperoning! One round of that at MI24 was enough for me (you too I if I remember right!)

You might want to check out my WW -a prank to stick in the back of your mind for those pranksters you work with!

Susanne said...

I wish I was young enough to throw myself down that sliding hill. Looks like a busy but great week!

skoots1mom said...

dd had her serve week the first week after school was finished...i truly believe that our youth enjoy that week the most, are exhausted the most, love meeting the clients and never get enough sleep. dd helped replace a roof and painted a house after replacing the fascia boards. They have fun with the team challenges and then making rememberances out of scraps leftover from each site
praying ya'll have a great week and you get more done than you ever expected
:)

Susan D said...

Oh what fun....it is to slide! That's what I would want to do. Slide! Your SERVE week is wonderful for the church and community. Great idea. Blessings, SusanD

Mocha with Linda said...

Love this. And love that you do it right in your own community instead of taking a "mission trip." (Not that there's anything wrong with mission trips, but some churches go across the country and never go across town.)

And I'm with you on the post-Mountain Dew chaperoning.

"Rachel" said...

Love the last pic!!!

christy rose said...

Linda,
That water slide looks awesome!
That pig looks disgusting!

btw, Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. I am posting about the conference all this week if you are interested. It was an awesome time in Truth!

Christy

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Great pics. Lots of fun. That's one massive slip-n-slide.

It may be wonderful but I just don't think I could eat a pig looking like that. I know, I know, however it looks, even in the ham sammage type, it still come from this same pig. :-)

sara said...

what an awesome week!!!!

I want to go on the slip n slide!!!

Baba's Babies Are Special said...

Hi Linda, The youth group really works hard doing good deeds with their serving!!! I don't like to go to a pig picking and see his head and eyes !!!

I had my second eye surgery today for cataracts and it is amazing to see without glasses..

Thanks for sharing these pictures with us .. hugs, Baba

Smelling Coffee said...

What a great week for your youth! I love it that they are serving in their own hometown. (And, Love the 70s Serve advertisement!)

Ilona said...

Feedback from one of the "night chaperones" - I love it!!! It's day 4 of Serve week and I am dragging but it's worth every yawn! This is - no doubt - God's week in Muncie. The kids are awesome and - thankfully - the Mountain Dew has not had any apparent affect on our team!