Monday, July 06, 2009

Bing Bong

My son can be a bit of an odd duck sometimes, and I mean that in the best sense of duck oddness. He seemed to be born laughing, although I'm sure he was probably not laughing at me but with me in that perilous moment of his birth. No, I'm pretty sure it was at me. Here he is at 3 months, yukking it up with a photographer.

But seriously folks, he is a silly 20 year-old kid, and you never know what quirky thing he's going to come up with next. (Gosh, how he takes his quirkiness after that dad of his because you all know I am not quirky in the least.)

And now I shall share a story of quirkiness.

But first, pertinent facts in order for this story to be appreciated: Of all my kids, he was the neatest child and the most likely to call for a ride home in the middle of the night if he spent the night with a friend. He hates insects and mice and is allergic to cats. He has been known to turn down vacationing with friends he loved because he did not want to suffer through a balmy tropical vacation (doesn't tolerate heat well at all.)

So you can see why it came as a surprise when, late last winter, he announced to us that he was not planning on moving home this summer but that he was going to live with a bunch of guys in a campus house. There was no discussion about this; he simply made up his mind and informed us. We never saw the house before he moved in.

Therefore, the kid who hates heat has been living in a veritable un-airconditioned sauna house inhabited by messy college guys since May. So far, he has done as well as can be expected. I'm proud to say he has never once called home in the middle of the night for us to come pick him up, in spite of seeing, in the first week there on his own, a mouse in the sauna house kitchen pictured at left.

A couple of weeks ago, when the boys were out having an adventure at McDonald's (It's a small college town--very small) they spotted a little black kitten abandoned in the parking lot.

They took it home (of course!) and being the uninitiated cat owners that they are, immediately fed it tuna and milk, which they soon discovered was not a good idea. Turns out, kitties don't tolerate the bacteria in milk well. I asked him why they didn't just buy canned cat food if they were going that route, and he said, "We didn't think about that."

(Note to self: When Son is grown and married, make sure he knows how to feed newborns before wife and baby come home from hospital. Or parking lot.)




















One of my son's most endearing qualities is his nurturing side, which I've often seen when he deals with Zoe.

And now, this side of him has completely blossomed with the cat whom he has quirkily named "Bing Bong." Apparently, many names were up for discussion amongst the boys, but the winner was my son's choice: Bing Bong.

I said, "Let me get this straight. You're going to take that cat to the vet, and they're going ask, 'What's his name?' and you're going to reply, 'Bing Bong?'"

"Yep. Bing Bong."

Well, Bing Bong has been to the vet now, and that is how we know I have a grandson cat. Also, they found out he was approximately 1 week old when they found him, a lot younger than they thought, and that they nearly poisoned him with milk and tuna, which would've been unfortunate. At three weeks, he weighs 1 lb 9 ozs.

So the moral of this story is: There is no moral. But there is a denouement, a "tying up" of loose plot strings, if you will:

Apparently, my son is no longer allergic to cats.
The mouse who could not be vanquished with poison or traps has now wisely decided to lay low because of the cat.
The heat wave has subsided, so the boys are doing more than lying around lifeless on dirty futons with a kitten clawing them.
They have learned something about how not to feed kittens.

And now I present the newest addition to the family, Bing Bong:

25 comments:

"Rachel" said...

Awww! Bing Bong is adorable! Good for your son for adopting him!

It's something about boys and naming cats. My brother-in-law picked up a stray when he was a teenager and named it Whee-ha. Imagine telling that to the vet.

Glad the tuna and milk didn't kill BB!

Dena said...

That's so sweet that he has a nurturing side regarding the animals. My son has that as well. And I must say, I will be just as shocked as you were if my son ever decided to live the life your son is currently living - for all the no a/c, yucky mice and other reasons. Isn't it great that they keep us guessing?

Sandy@ Jesus and Dark Chocolate said...

Love the story......my son is 14, and I can tell from your story the joy you have watching that quirky boy of yours grow up! :)
Great pictures,I love the pics of him with you dog!

jbanks said...

"Bing Bong" - silly kids! My 23-yr-old daughter asked for a border collie for her 16th birthday. Her choice for a name? Crayola Box. It was shortened to "Box."

Mrs. E said...

You know that cross-eyed picture? He reminds me of a grown up version of the 16 year old boys I teach every year. They drive me nuts, but make me laugh-- so at least I'll go crazy with a smile! My guess is that you will, too!

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Hee hee - glad he outgrew the allergy so Bing Bong can reside with all the other boys in the house.

Mel said...

I have a 20 yr old son and quirky fits his and his other buddies in that age range LOL...Bing Bong that is hysterical and i just wanted to say ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Congratlation Granny!

H-Mama said...

Bing Bong is precious! :)

Greg C said...

I have been through the same thing with my pets names. We had a dog named woof once. Don't ask, I didn't name him. I just had to put it down on paper at the vet. So embarrasing.

Tabi said...

I just find it incredibly sweet that they actually rescued the cat! So, future question...who gets Bing Bong when they all go their seperate ways?? Hehehe

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

You know my heart is melting. Welcome to Bing Bong! Glad he survived the Unfortuate Feeding Incident.

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Welcome to Bing Bong--we still have Satan, ah, er...Sabra...the cat my son rescued from the dumpster at work. Probably about the same size as Bing Bong when found. I think it says something about our mothering skillz that our boys are so nurturing and willing to go the extra mile for a stray....

Mocha with Linda said...

That's too funny! Kittens are so cute. Too bad they grow up to be cats.

So he didn't know what to feed it. Does he know how to sign his name?! LOL

Latte With Me said...

What a great name for your grandcat! I love it -- easily to spell and say! Just rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it? :-)

Heather of the EO said...

I just loved this. BING BONG. I'm pretty sure that cat is the only one ever to be named Bing Bong. So it's unique and quirky, just like the whole family :)

Mama Belle said...

Aww ... your baby's growing up.

I am not a cat person, but do find this one quite adorable.

skoots1mom said...

adorable and a sweeet story

so glad bing bong is a boy...or you might have some great grandkids hanging out on the futons :)

cute post...

Darcy said...

We too rescued a kitten last summer. The veterinarian's nurse told me I'd picked a hum-dinger to start with. I'd never had a cat before, so a half-dead one seemed a good start. If it had gone badly I guess I could have said the cat was on it's way out anyway:-)
Long live Bing Bong. Congratulations!

Debbie said...

What a sweetie - well two. The son and the kitten.

Roxanne said...

Very cute kitty. I am glad we moved to the country, because I am most CERTAINLY allergic to cats (the one we attempted to have put me in the ER unable to breathe with my lungs) but they can now live outside. And BingBong is SO totally a college boy, sauna livin', Ramen Noodle Eatin' name.

Sherry said...

I'm so glad the kitten survived his first meal -- that could have been his last. He is so pretty! What does Zoe think of him?

I enjoy your blog. I don't always comment, but I do enjoy reading your entertaining posts.

Edie said...

Aww, Bing Bong is so cute, and I love his name. I can't believe someone left that little baby kitten to fend for himself, but I'm so glad God sent your son and is friends along to rescue him.

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Congratulations, and let's say a prayer of petition to the Blessed St. Rizzo that this is the only way in which you are made a grandmother throughout this college experience.

And oh, I can smell that apartment from here. PU!

Carmen said...

Bing Bong? I love it! Congratulations on your grandfurkid!