Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Campfires

They have become a nightly ritual. What peace, to sit before glowing, crackling embers while nature does its thing all around you, as in teenagers continuing to set off fire crackers on July 6th, or the elderly man from the condominiums behind us getting off of his bicycle to pick up sticks off the road. (Likes his street pristine.) Yes, nature is all around us. Strange human nature.

Everyone knows that in most couples, men are the designated fire-builders. It's in their DNA. But last night I was feeling "woodsy" and powerful and decided to build my own instead of waiting for Jorge to be "the man." After all, do you think Sarah Palin waits for Todd to build the fires? Unh-uh.

So I marched out there with all the stuff I needed to get a fire going, and I succeeded in building a great big, roaring ... pillar of smoke, kinda like the smoke monster in LOST:



Then Jorge, who finally came outside, was all pretend-mad at me because he claimed the smoke would poison the bird seed in his new feeder and kill all the birds within a 3 mile radius. And he didn't like the way I rolled up the newspaper kindling into a cigar shape instead of a ball. And he didn't like that I used cherry wood instead of oak because everyone knows it smokes more than oak. And he didn't like blah, blah, blah.

I couldn't hear him after a while because I was toasting marshmallows to perfection. It's in my DNA.

19 comments:

michele said...

That marshmallow looks perfect! Makes me want to go out and start a campfire! Last summer we had tons of campfires... we need to get back in the groove this summer. Enjoy your week!

Dawn said...

There's nothing better than a marshmallow roasted to perfection! Well, except maybe one roasted to perfections and slapped between two graham crackers with a piece of chocolate. LOL

Chatty Kelly said...

"Pretend mad." LOL!

Well, I think you did a fine job little lady. Next you'll be auditioning for Survivor. ;-)

Dawn said...

In my house, girls can rock at building a fire. DD is just as likely to build a fire as DS. Scouts did a good job teaching that skill.

"Please, Sir. I want s'more ;)"

Kate said...

That marchmellow does look perfect. I'll be toasting them this weekend. Very cute blog you have here.

Susanne said...

Oh my, that marshmallow is toasty heaven. Your making me wish we had a fire pit! Although I'd probably build my fire with a cigar shaped kindling too, rather than a ball. I mean it probably fits in there better than a big old ball. Makes total sense to me. :v)

Keetha Broyles said...

Wow girl - - - you have A LOT of followers.

So glad you found my blog this morning, cause I'm lovin' yours.

Besides - - - we must be neighbors - - - I live in the Hoosier state too!!

:-)

Mocha with Linda said...

Tell us s'more!

It's obvious you live up north. We need no extra heat in central Texas, not to mention we're under a burn ban!

But it's nice being at my brother's where it's actually below 80 at night!

Greg C said...

The problem is that you just refuse to admit that some things are better left to the men folk. And on the other hand some things are better off left to the women folk. Taking things back to the store for instance. Women love doing that kind of thing.

Tabi said...

Where's the chocolate to go with? yummmmy....

skoots1mom said...

thank you, honey, for building the fire...
it made great marshmallows
good job!

Carmen said...

LOL! Did you make S'mores? Tell me you made s'mores...

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

I want one!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Too fun! For somebody who claims she can't cook, you can sure roast a marshmallow, can't you? Perfection!

Merrie said...

What great memories that dredged up from my childhood and Camp Fire Girls. The marshmallow looks delish!

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

I think he was just feeling threatened. I do all the bbq-in here...and if we had a fire, I'd do that too. But we have an agreement. He doesn't touch my laundry til he goes to laundry school and I don't paint walls....sigh

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

I thought everyone knew the only way to eat marshmallows was to set them on FIRE,let them blaze until perfectly gooey inside and then delight in the crackly crunchy yet smooth ohhie-gooey wonderfulness.

Just passing on an alternative marshmallow perspective.

Blessings
Robin

Mama Belle said...

Wait ... you lit a fire? It's like 142 degrees outside here. Can't be much cooler anywhere else. So, you lit a fire?

Beverlydru said...

I'm thinking like Mama Bell. Fire? Are you kidding? WE'ce had a cool front this week and it's only been 86 in the evening. Instead of 96.
My favorite line is about Jorge's "pretend mad." Sweet that you see it that way. ; )