Friday, August 28, 2009

You Know What Happens When I Get Interested in the Kitchen ...

You know what happens when I get interested in the kitchen.

Look out.

For instance, yesterday I was trying to make a pork loin roast and rice. I spilled rice all over the counter top and floor. After that I was looking for the meat thermometer and spilled wooden skewers all over the floor. And the day before that, I broke a mirror in the kitchen, just passing through. So basically the kitchen has been a mine field for Zoe.

Kitchens are bad.

But I did happen to find this site yesterday that I think was created for people like me and 12 year olds who are beginning to cook.

Just kidding.
No I'm not.

Kathy Maister's startcooking.com was an official honoree in the 2008 Webby Awards for step-by-step tutorial sites, and although not each recipe has an accompanying video, some do, which is a nice plus. Just for fun, I watched the "How to Fry an Egg" video. Not because I needed help, mind you, but just because, well, you know.

OK, I admit it. I was starting out with my skillet too hot. And I was cooking them too long according to this 1 minute video:



Here's a video for Tex-Mex Cheeseburgers, which I will be making soon:



I love the "stop-action" way the videos are shot with tiny little sound effects, like ketchup going, "Phhhhphth."

So this site isn't exhaustive in it's number and scope of recipes, but you should just check it out anyway. It's a lovely site that I'm only slightly envious of.

I need to find my niche, people, and do some cool videos.

You know, where people "see what you're saying." :)

20 comments:

H-Mama said...

you crack me up ;)

Tabi said...

Lol...good luck to you and all the 12 year olds!! HAHAHA!

Kathy Maister said...

Thanks for the link to my site! I actually have 60 videos and 250 photo-tutorials all designed for the beginner cook. My goal was to develop a resource for those who knew absolutely nothing about cooking.
Cheers!
Kathy

sara said...

omg, are we doing "ISWYS" soon!?! I hope so!!!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

You are welcome, Kathy. I am your prime audience. Thanks for doing this for humanity.

Kelly Combs said...

I need to find my niche too! I don't think I can make a living doing hula hoop videos. But I wish I could! :-)

Kim said...

I loved your blog today and plan to add the cooking blog to my "must read" list. I am also going to tell my recently moved out son about them....he needs to know how to fry an egg!!

Mocha with Linda said...

I have never in my life put a lid on my fried egg while it cooks. But I bet it would keep it from spattering so much.

Looks like a fun site.

Susanne said...

LOL. Let me know how the burgers turn out. They sound delish!

Genny said...

I am definitely going to check out that site. I like the idea of having people "see what you are saying" too, but it would take some getting used to to talk into a camera! :)

Thanks for your sweet comment over at my friend Kristen's site. I really appreciate it!

Jill Kemerer said...

I love the videos! I'm definitely checking it out. And I just found your blog today--very fun! I'll be back!

Lois E. Lane said...

I will definitely be checking out the site. Thanks for the tip!

skoots1mom said...

we haven't 'seen what we're sayin' in a long time...
good site :)

Linda Vujnov said...

I can't boil, or fry eggs. I am a mess.

Dena said...

Just given the fact that even have wooden skewers in your home roves you're more of a cook than I am! :)

Sandy said...

If I remember right, you've never been good in the kitchen! LOL! You are funny girl, always make me smile! :)

Kim said...

I love watching other people's videos. Especially if it involves food and/or quilting. Thanks for the link, I'm going to go check it out!

P.S. I love learning new tricks to things I've been doing for years. I have learned that sometimes even if something works, something else works BETTER and I'm all about learning to do things better :-)

Debbie said...

Look at that! The website owner dropped by with a comment. That is cool.
But now as cool as you! You rock Linda. I'd eat your cooking anyday, girlfriend.

Jeanette said...

My first thought when reading the title of your post was....

well, this should be good :}

Thanks for the tip. After being married 20 years, I still consider myself to be a beginner cook!!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Your kitchen stories slay me.

Seriously.

The vids were quite entertaining, actually. I may not have laughed at the ketchup "Phhhhhhphth" sounds nearly as much had you not mentioned them. Thanks for the heads up!

And YAY!! I'm so glad you mentioned the "see what you're saying" video meme again! I was wondering if you were doing that again!