Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I'm a Catcher, and Random Dozen #4 Preview

Tuesday is here, and I'm heading back to work after time off for the funeral. It will be good to get back into routine.

Did I just say that?

This afternoon we have a home XC meet. I'm supposed to help in the chute as a "catcher." Basically, a catcher, or so I thought, just helps kids as soon as they pass the finish to get off the path.

But then I reviewed the job description:

As the runners enter the chute we must get them into single file, keep them up and walking through the chute. At the end of the chute we will pull the bottom tag off their bib for scoring, then manually write the runners' number down (for scoring backup), then get them out.

The problems arise when runner enters the chute and cramps, faints, is trying to pass/brake line, is dry heaving, or other conditions (unable to proceed under their own effort), we must literally/physically catch them from falling, walk them in position through the line or pending severity of condition, carry them past scoring, out of the chute to EMT.


Dry heaving? Collapsing? Carry them? EMT?!

ALERT!!! I am merely somebody's middle aged mom! I am not qualified for this position!

So I'm hoping and praying everyone stays upright and heave-free.

And now the Random Dozen preview. Remember--you don't answer today; you come back here Wednesday and link up on a Mr. Linky rink-a-ma-dink so that we can find you and you can visit others. I'm just giving you a head's up because there are 12 questions composed at the MENSA level, so it might take a few minutes to fully answer challenging questions like whether you like jelly on your pbj's.

1. Tell me the absolute best way to watch a movie.
2. Do you ever think about your own funeral? If so, do you have specific ideas about how you would like it to be?
3. Are you more of a giver or a taker?
4. Vacations: planned activities and schedules, or play it by ear?
5. What is one often overlooked item in your home that needs to be cleaned regularly?
6. Name a cause that means a lot to you.
7. Do you eat a regular old peanut butter jelly sandwich, or do you customize it? And by the way, jelly or no jelly?
8. If we were having a conversation in person, how would I know if you were nervous?
9. Do you have an elaborate bedtime routine, or just the basics of toothbrushing and jammies?
10. Have you ever regretted something you wrote on your blog?
11. Has anyone ever told you that you look like a famous person or celebrity? Did you agree?
12. If you were going to dedicate a song to a loved one or friend, what would the song be and to whom would it be dedicated?

19 comments:

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

Dry heaving? Yuck!!!

Mrs. E said...

I've been a catcher, too. Dry heaves?? I've had my shoes thrown up on! Pray for dry heaves!

On a side note, we used to have one team of girls that threw themselves on the ground as soon as they crossed the finish line. Getting them up so they didn't get trampled was a trick. I finally figured out that they had a young, cute coach and they liked to be picked up or have his arm around them. argh!!!

You just have a great time! ;D

Kim said...

Oh my -- after Mrs. E's comment I'm not sure what to say. Except maybe, let's hope for no heaves at all.

Am looking forward to finally being able to participate in the Random Dozen Meme this week!

Deven said...

Just when you think you're out of the "kids vomit on me" stage...

Mocha with Linda said...

I'd say give XC the old heave-ho!

I can't believe #11. You did that just so you could get a laugh in your week, didn't you?!

Melli said...

Goooood grief! I would sO not feel qualified for that position either! I'm sure those really only happen during flu season! Oh yea... it IS flu season... GOOD LUCK!

RamblingMother said...

I haven't been here in ages as I read you on google reader. I really like the new look.

Susanne said...

LOL to Deven's comment. Well, I'm not quite sure what to say except "OY!" ;v)

Happy Catching.

Greg C said...

I will be answering your questions tomorrow as well. As for the chute helper, good luck. A lot of runners do more than gag when they reach the finish line. Their motto: if you don't throw up, you didn't try hard enough. Feel free to use that on one of the shirts, haha. Good luck and just move fast when you see someone running your way.

Dena said...

Ive been to enough XC meets to see plenty of non-dry heavers. blech! What I don't understand...if you do something that causes you to pass out, cramp up, heave, need an EMT, etc, what makes you get up the next day and say "ok, lets do that again!"

Good luck helping at the meet and good luck to kristen.

Sue said...

I can almost feel your hesitation in your new role with the XC team - lol

I worked at a doctor's office - a vein clinic mind you so sick people were not really there. One time the doctor was doing a procedure and the patient had a reaction so the Dr. is telling me to get the garbage can in case she throws up. THROWS UP??? I don't have children... I have an undeveloped gag reflex... she CANNOT throw up!! Fortunately she didn't but oooh how that memory flood back to my mind thinking of you picking up worn XCers at the finish line - lol

I've got my thinking cap on for tomorrow's Random Dozen!! I did get last week's done... just a little late ;-)

Betty said...

I like your questions and will be joining in tomorrow!

skoots1mom said...

so glad you had laffs with friends during such a difficult time...laughter is a wonderful balm, especially following loss.

XC...heave is such a good word, isn't it...i think of the slaves pulling the long paddles on the nordic ships...back and forth, up and down, seasickness all around. I'll be praying your chute experiencing doesn't have you exclaiming "shoot!" as they come in.
good questions this week...gots me pondering, pondering.

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

LOL you're so funny...I think I'd feel underqualified too. Devon's comment was hilarious too!

Looking forward to tomorrow's Random Dozen!

Hope you had a great day back to work!

Judy said...

I agree with Dena --- why do it again when it made you sick? My daughter and her boyfriend run together sometimes and he had thrown up a couple of times afterwards. It seems to me that a person would be doing something wrong if it makes them throw up, don't you think? :)

Celeste said...

This is a great meme, I found you via Becky at Adult Deprived, I will definitely be signing up tomorrow.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Do you have to wear a mitt??

Quilldancer said...

Oh my! I came by last night, read this post and was so excited by the Random Dozen preview I forgot to comment! (I took the questions and ran!)

The best advice I can give you is wear really comfortable shoes and a vinyl jogging suit. ;)

Melli said...

44 players!!! My goodness this meme has grown fast!