Thursday, December 10, 2009

My Swat at the Random This Week



Oh, and look! I have the exact same number of hairs on my head at 47 as I did at 2! Isn't that precious?!

1. Which physical trait do you now accept--maybe not love, but accept--and no longer feel extremely self-conscious about?

I shall choose one: my nose, which, as you can see in the pic above, was fine as a child. But when puberty hit, so did the ugly. My kids told me I had a witch's bump once. Niiiice. A doc told me it has definitely been broken at least once, maybe twice. He said he could fix it for me. And I have large nostrils, for some reason. My whole life I was self-conscious, and I still don't love it, but I've accepted it. Now, in reference to last week's question about cosmetic surgery, let me reiterate here that I have nothing against it. And if someday I want to do something to myself, I would appreciate not being judged by the more "pious" community, if you know what I mean. Keepin' it real here.

2. This week Meredith Baxter Birney, best known as the mom on the favorite 80s sitcom "Family Ties" came out of the closet, which led me to formulate this question: Who do you think is/was the best TV mom?

You know, none of them seemed really "warm" to me. I guess they couldn't match my mom (who, in oxymoronic fashion was both warm AND critical of me, including critical of the nose. Hard to reconcile, I know, but it's true. She was lovingly critical?) Anyway, I pick Shirley Jones on the Partridge Family. I loved her demeanor.

3. Do you speak any foreign languages? Are there any you'd like to learn?

I can read French and I remember small phrases. I could not conjugate a verb, though. Yes, I'd like to learn French and Spanish.

4. Who is your personal hero?

Right now, there is a little 16 year old girl whom I've written about here who is hospitalized for critical care as a result a grave immune deficiency disease. You can read her sister's blog, Dancing Through the Rain if you would like a swift kick in the rear that will make you appreciate your life today. Both girls are fighting for their lives. Only 11 people in the world have this disease. Karly Koch, you are my hero. Kelsey, you too, Sweetie.

5. What is one holiday food that you find extremely difficult to resist over- indulging in?

How many times can I work the word "Buckeyes" into consecutive posts? Tomorrow, I post the recipe. They are killing. me.

6. Tell me about a Christmas decoration that has special meaning or sentimental value.

Last year, my sister-in-law Cathy asked us to take a photo of our house and send it to her, without any explanation. At Christmas, she presented us with a hand-painted ornament that was an exact representation of our house. I will always treasure it.

7. How do you feel about snow?

I love it. I will be tired of it soon, but I get excited every year when the first fall happens and when the city virtually shuts down due to heavy snow. The older I get, though, the more I notice my enthusiasm waning. That's oldness for you.

8. On average, how many hours of sleep do you get each night? Not that I'm jealous of any number over three or anything.

Probably 6, which should be enough, I know, but it's not.

9. Tell me about your first crush.

OH Lid. Do you want the first one or the first real one. Because the first one happened when I was so little I don't even know how I knew he was a boy and I was a girl. He was our pastor's son, and I'll bet I hadn't been to kindergarten yet. That sounds crazy, but I can honestly aver that I have never had any confusion about gender preference. My poor parents. I was born crushing on someone. But later there was a Brett S., a Bryan W., a Bryan C., a Brett A. ... and a couple more before Jorge the Jabanero.

10. You're stuck in a room for 2 hours with only a chalkboard and chalk. What will you write/draw?

When I doodle in staff meetings, I draw wildflowers and squares. But if I'm gonna be there 2 hours, I might write a blog post. Only ... how would I get it transferred?

11. Do you dress for the current temp or for the day's forecast?

This question stems from a conflict of opinions I shared with a high school friend years ago. She dressed for the forecast. I dressed for the moment I was walking out the door. She was smart. I was ... inevitably too cold, hot or wet.

12. Favorite Christmas movie is?

It's a Wonderful Life. And for the record, the moment at the telephone when Sam Wainwright calls and Mary and George are face to face at the phone? They don't make passionate scenes like that anymore. Woo. Hoooooo. Sometimes less is SO much more! I also love The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant.


"He says it's the chance of a lifetime!"


24 comments:

Quilldancer said...

I've been waiting for the Buckeye recipe! I am going to make them, and then blame you when I over-indulge! (They're peanut butter & chocolate, I know I will over-indulge.)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Always enjoy your blog and your design is so cute....Visit my holiday blog for new tree pictures and my main blog for a MIRACLE story...
http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

Dena said...

I forgot all about Shirley Jones. My poor brain went blank when trying to remember all the tv moms from way back when.

6 hrs of sleep? Now, I'm jealous!

It appears you went through a phase of liking boys with "B" names. LOL

Another Suburban Mom said...

Love your answers. I have never had a buckeye and can't wait to see the recipe.

Linda said...

You could not be more right about that scene in It's a Wonderful Life! That is on-screen passion at it's finest!!!! Love that movie so much.

Love Blossoms said...

Linda, you are so beautiful how could anyone even notice if there is a problem with your nose? Inconceivable! I look at the whole picture and for all I know you don't even have a nose.

By the way, my mom called me "boy crazy" my whole preteen and teen years. Thanks, mom.

I remember when Kayla started 5th grade and she said that she likes a boy and it makes her tummy feel funny to think about him. I thought, "oh no, God help us!" lol

Love Blossoms said...

Oh yea, Have surgery if you want, on whatever you want. No judgment here, love.

Mocha with Linda said...

Would you believe I have never seen It's A Wonderful Life? (just felt your blog quake!)

LOVE the picture in your header! And wow, you look older than 2. That is beyond precious.

Love all your answers, as usual.

(And your man is lucky you got off your "B" fixation with the boys!)

Viki said...

Love, love the new header. My aunt had one of those trees. Did yours have that light that went on the floor?

Mrs. E said...

That pic of you at two is adorable! AND, I am soooo with you on "It's A Wonderful Life." My colleague shows it to her classes every year. She tells them that they are a gift to each other--and never to forget that.

Susanne said...

Blogger's doing funny things so I'm not sure if my comment went through. If it did just delete this one, otherwise...

I can't believe you don't have Donny Osmond listed on here. I thought for sure I'd read his name in the crush question.

I love It's a Wonderful Life and watched it this weekend. I cry every time. Such a great show.

Melli said...

I thought for sure that MBB in Family Ties was going to be your "Mom" of choice -- because otherwise I couldn't figure out what her "coming out" had to do with the question! Oh well... You are blessed to have had a warm mother and loving mother... even if critical at times. I think we are all a bit critical of our children at times - sometimes it's better to hear things from someone who you knOW loves you than to hear it from others...? SOMEtimes.

I'm looking forward to that recipe tomorrow! I have to find out HOW good these things are!

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Cute header photo.

What closet did Meredith Baxter Birney come out of? This is new to me.

Amy said...

Your tease with the Buckeye recipe is working. I can't wait to come back tomorrow. Loved your answers, as usual, and there is no way you were two in 1964...

I wrote a blog post about running you might appreciate...come check it out if you have time.
www.allthingsaro.blogspot.com

Amy

Kim said...

Question #1 had a preponderance of noses (although I haven't made it around to everybody yet) which makes me wonder where reconstructive nose surgery ranks overall. Hmmmmm. And a majority answered It's a Wonderful Life for #12. You are so trendy, Lid :-)

Did your SIL paint the ornament herself or have it done? I love that idea! It would make such a cool gift for my son and his wife (they bought a house when they first got married, and we know how special "first" houses are).

I have resisted the Buckeyes this year but you're luring me back to them. I bought a jar of peanut butter when we went to Wal-mart in Cordoba yesterday so I could make some.

Merrie said...

Fun! I guess the noses have it... or DON'T have!
Thanks for the fun and can't wait to get the buckeye recipe so I, too, can be tempted beyond meausre!

veronking2003 said...

Just found your blog - I'm a big fan! And now, for sure a follower. I'm participating in the random dozen! And I think I can honestly say I've never had a Buckeye...am I allowed to admit that?!?!

Can't wait to hear more!

Vee
veronking2003.blogspot.com

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

It's the NOSE! On every RD I've read so far - we all hate our noses!

I didn't know you were boy crazy as a kid too?

I bet that ornament is beautiful. I'd love to see it.

I just could never get into It's a Wonderful Life - way to much sad before the happy I guess.

Great RD, can't wait for next week's questions.

SouthLakesMom said...

I'm going to try making buckeyes with sunbutter for the son allergic to peanuts...will let you know how it turns out.

I absolutely LOVE that 1964 photo! You were beautiful then, and are beautiful now.

However, I do feel compelled to point out that you were NOT wearing black and there is no budgie visible in the photograph, so you must NOT have been very happy at that moment. Smiles!

Cara and Jenn said...

Randomly tagged you on a question thingie someone else sent me like you don't have enough questions to answer!!!

Cara

Abiding Branch said...

Oh the famous Buckeye yeehaw! I looked up recipes and there are so many so I will be excited to see yours!
You know, some things need to be fixed like my belly which often feels like the Austin Powers character that says on the commercial, "Get in my belly!"
BUT I honestly think you are beautiful and see nothing wrong about your nose but those who would judge would be petty and do not wear your shoes (or your nose lol)

If you put Cary Grant in any movie I will watch it! His suits make me swoon. I promise that when I begin watching his movies my husband leaves. lol
Chel

Kim said...

Did your sister-in-law paint the ornament herself? If not, could you find out who she had do it for me? My daughter just bought her first house and this would be an awesome gift for her to add to her collection. Thanks.

Kim

Andrea said...

Buckeyes... sounds like something very very evil that I should totally stay away from!!

>:-)


~Andrea
xoxoxoxo

blogschmogme.wordpress.com said...

Love your answers! I totally get you on 7! :) And your crushes, crack me up! All those "b"s and your poor mother. ;)
Jessie at Blog Schmog