Friday, December 11, 2009

The Buckeye-Christmas Balls of Diet Death








You know, it feels weird to post this recipe because I feel as though I'm Mrs. Obvious, posting a recipe for something as common as a peanut butter jelly sandwich. But to my shock and disbelief, there are some of you who have uttered the words (in print) "What is a buckeye?" I checked, and no, you weren't being facetious. You really wanted the recipe.

Seriously? Are you the pod progeny of health nuts from Mars or something? (And I mean that in the most respectful way.)

Essentially, buckeyes could be likened to Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Except you can't run down to the Dollar General and pick them up for $.50. NO, you have to work for them, which probably makes devouring them like a python swallowing a baby kangaroo even more enjoyable.

Basically, you have to roll little balls of sugar and peanut butter together and dip them in melted chocolate.

Excuse me while I pull myself together.

Buckeyes are a weak spot for me, a personal Kryptonite, if you will. So once a year, sometimes bi-annually because the havoc is so devastating, I make a batch. And then I try not to eat them ALL before Christmas. Epic FAIL.

Here's how you create the magic:

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

6 cups confectioners' sugar
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, mix together the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and confectioners' sugar. The dough will look dry. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet.
2. Press a toothpick into the top of each ball (to be used later as the handle for dipping) and chill in freezer until firm, about 30 minutes.
3. Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir frequently until smooth. You can add a little vegetable oil if you like to make the chocolate thinner and smoother.
4. Dip frozen peanut butter balls in chocolate holding onto the toothpick. Leave a small portion of peanut butter showing at the top to make them look like Buckeyes. Put back on the cookie sheet and refrigerate until serving.

Or tell yourself you will refrigerate them until a certain date, knowing full well you will eat several each night until there are none left for the poor losers who got "The Buckeye Shaft of 2009."

You're welcome.

29 comments:

Abiding Branch said...

Thank you!!! Woo to the hoo as you say! I was telling my hubby all about these! Tonight I made neiman marcus cake yum! So this weekend I must make Buckeyes! yayaaayayayay!
Chel

Amy said...

Oh my, oh my, oh my...

I'd have to do white chocolate, but that sounds good too.

Is it eat one...slap one on thigh...eat one...slap one on thigh??

Thanks for the recipe...I think

Amy

Quilldancer said...

Yum! Thanks, Lidna! My scale is groaning already.

Jill said...

I remember having those as a kid and absolutely loving them! But I never knew what they were called. Thanks for the recipe!

Catherine said...

Oh my word. I gained 4 pounds just reading the recipe!

Patrice said...

I am crawling out from underneath my rock and am going to try these! I have never heard of them either! Gasp!

Merrie said...

We LOVE Buckeyes! (we have always just called them "peanutbutter balls" though.)
We have had to have them every year for as long as I can remember. This year I celebrate a deliverance and victory. I passed the joy of making them on to my daughter! She will bring a FEW to my house! I'm so relieved. She happens to be pregnant and so there is a huge possibility that they won't make it here.
Blessings~

Linda said...

Can you use choc bark??? They sound wonderful!

Mocha with Linda said...

You are so funny. These are indeed delish. Haven't made them in a few years.

The Bug said...

I had never heard of a buckeye until I moved to Cincinnati. I don't understant why we didn't have them in NC - I think they're a magical elixir and they should be shared throughout the world...

Lois Lane II said...

Awesome!!! I never heard of buckeyes until we went to Ohio a couple of years ago. Never knew they were food, though...lol!!!

Jeanette said...

I LOVE buckeyes but have never had the recipe! I don't know if I should even attempt them as peanut butter and chocolate are two of my favorite things! Today I resolved to get back to counting weight watcher points...

Thanks for the recipe....I think!

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Aren't you also my fellow lover of no-bake cookies. I could've sworn it was you. And if it is, here is the question you must answer:
If you could live on earth with only one thing, would it be:
buckeyes
OR
no-bake cookies.

That's a hard one, huh?

Unless of course I have you totally mixed up with someone else and you are not my fello lover of no-bake scrumptiousness.

servantsheart.wordpress.com said...

Being from Ohio, I am quite familiar with Buckeyes...both the team and the luscious dessert.

However, I have never made them. I may have to try this year!

Dawn said...

Thank you so much - my two favorite flavors in one. Yummy!

Melli said...

I will most certainly be making a batch of these -- a couple of days before Christmas! Not now. Oh no... now now!

Susanne said...

I'm so making these tomorrow. I'll have to pick up a huge jar of pnut butter from Costco and a some more icing sugar. There just may be a "Buckeye Shaft of 2009" occuring here too. LOL.

Debra said...

Oh I'm so thrilled you posted the recipe! I used to make these every christmas when I was a teenager, but somewhere along the line I lost the recipe. Can't wait to make them again! Thanks for the recipe you're the best! :)

An Imperfect Perfection said...

I so WANT to make these... but I know if I do I will eat them all - MYSELF. Thanks for posting the receipe though...I tried to find one and this is much simpler!

Jewel said...

Yummo!! LOVE these. MY WEAKNESS.

Have you ever had or made snowman poop? Google it. :)

Kim said...

Buckeyes were my mom's favorite homemade candy. I like 'em but like peanut butter fudge even more :-) My mom made the most INCREDIBLE peanut butter fudge. Have been trying for years to perfect the recipe (since she didn't measure anything) but without success. And quite a few epic fails (wherein it was necessary to break out the chain saw or throw away pans). Have not made buckeyes in years but, after your recent posts, bought p.b. in Cordoba to make some for Christmas. Don't know why I didn't think of doing this before, because my husband LOVES Reese's p.b. cups and we can't get them here.

bensrib said...

Hi Linda! While buckeyes are not my downfall, they are my husband's. He lives for December, which is the only time I make them (and rugelach, my own addiction). I'm going to try doing a photo-tutorial of rugelach this year. If it works, it will be on the blog sometime before the end of the year. Stay tuned!

RissaRoo said...

Oh, dear. I really, really didn't need to read this right now...those look amazing and probably taste even more amazing, and the worst thing is they're naturally gluten-free too. Now I *must* try the recipe! My hubby thanks you, but my jeans don't!

2cats said...

It is very fortunate that I bought peanut butter and chocolate chips today at the market.
Guess what I am doing tomorrow?

Dena said...

My grandma used to make Buckeyes every Christmas, and with you reminding me of that, I just might have to make some myself.

"a python swallowing a baby kangaroo". That was a little disturbing Linda...anything you need to get off your chest? LOL

Vader's Mom said...

My favorite Christmas treat! Love those things!!!

Faith Imagined said...

I have never heard of buckeyes! I am completely shocked because I LOVE peanut butter and chocolate!!! I have all the ingredients so I am totally making these tomorrow!!!

m.e (Cathie) said...

I have definitely not heard of buckeyes before but they sound very tempting!

Gigi said...

Stumbled across your blog via CBO and have been chuckling my way through your posts...but "The Buckeye Shaft of 2009" comment made me LOL!! Thanks for brightening my windy, rainy Saturday morning with laughter!

Would love to add you to my blogroll if that's OK with you...