Thursday, December 03, 2009

My Turn!



1. Which Wizard of Oz character are you most like?

Although I had a co-worker who regularly called me "Glinda," I would say I'm more like the Tin Man. I feel this way especially lately since I have no desire to see Blind Side. I don't like feel-good movies. Must be in need of a heart?

2. When you're deciding what you're going to wear each morning, which item do you select first? Why?

My top because I have more of a selection than pants/skirts, and my choice usually expresses in some way how I'm feeling that day. And for the record, black does not mean I'm feeling depressed. It means I'm feeling good.

3. What kind of animal do you think the world could live without?

This is easy. I HATE crocodiles and alligators. I would like to personally kill them all.

4. How many Christmas trees are in your home?

Two and 1/8, one regular sized in the family room, one tall and skinny near my black and white wall in my dining area and 1/8 of one which is old-school silver and sits on a pass-through (like a window cutout) between kitchen and family room.

5. Would you prefer to be emotionless if it mean you didn't have to feel a heartbreak?

Yes. I know; that sounds odd and depressing. Notice it didn't say "sadness," it said, "heartbreak." I don't handle heartbreak well. I'm also odd in that if I had the choice right now whether to have been born or not, I would choose "not." Just being honest. Please do not tell me to watch "It's a Wonderful Life." I know I was supposed to be born and all. I get the big picture. I'm just saying how I feel.

6. Do you ever experience holiday let-down or depression?

Yes. My, aren't these happy questions? Heartbreak, nonexistence and depression all in a row. Everybody follow me to the party!

7. Do you like Michael Jackson's music?

Yes. I'm listening to it right now as I type this from my playlist below. "Won't-you-please-let-meeeee backinyourheart." Love it.

8. Why is it that we never judge people who have their teeth fixed for cosmetic reasons, but every other cosmetic procedure has a stigma?

I don't know; that's why I asked this. It truly puzzles me. And although I've never had braces, I do love to whiten. I'm all about painting the barn and have no qualms about saying or doing so.

9. Enjoy horseback riding?

Yes. I didn't get to this summer. Maybe next summer.

10. Shoes--practical or stylish?

Stylish.

11. What was the name of your first pet? Feel free to post a pic.

Bobby Bird. Blue parakeet who absolutely loved to sit on my head. We have 8mm movies of me dancing and jumping like a maniac, and Bobby is hanging on for dear life.

12. What percentage of your Christmas shopping is done?

ZERO percent. Why are you stressing me out?



Tomorrow: a post about Facebook.

22 comments:

Quilldancer said...

When we are suffering the heartbreak, it is hard to remember the joy that proceeded it. grief is like that. You will work through to the other side. My prayers are with you.

Jill said...

Yeah! Another stylish shoe lover!

SouthLakesMom said...

Linda, I'm a little concerned. The questions go from "holiday depression" to "MJ's music" to "cosmetic surgery." See the flow here? Hmmm.

Actually, I'm glad that you're being honest about your feelings. Heartbreak stinks when you're in the middle of it.

I hope it cheers you to know that you are a tremendous cheer-er-upper for many, many people. Just look at the joy they get answering your questions on their blogs. You're helping create a loving community!

So, put on some black today and dance like you have a parakeet on your head!

Kim said...

Ok, sensing some of that holiday depression setting in already. Break out the sun lamp Lid! What you need isn't a viewing of It's a Wonderful Life, it's SUNSHINE. I was always glum half of winter when we lived in MI; all that gray is too depressing for words.

Even better idea, forget the sun lamp, and come visit me. lol We've got sunshine to spare and Christmas in 100 degree weather is an experience in itself. No baked ham, scalloped potatoes or whatever I'd serve in the U.S. This gal doesn't turn the oven on! We have asado! Juicy cuts of beef grilled to perfection along with salad from our garden and fresh bread from the bakery. For dessert we'll walk to the costanera for ice cream. How does that sound? :-)

Joyce said...

Hi Linda...well, first of all hop around and read some of the answers people gave because it sure helped me feel better about my shopping. I too still have an enormous chunk left to do and it made me feel much better to know I'm not the only one. I'm sure it is illogical but misery loves company : )

I hope your day brightens...you sound kinda down but maybe I'm reading something that isn't there? Take care.

Debbie said...

I could live without spiders, raccoons and opossums. And I'm freaking about the Christmas shopping too!

Viki said...

I notice a lot of people have the holiday letdown. My theory is expectations are for a perfect holiday and that is usually not the case. I think we all should just slow down and not worry about making it perfect.

Amy said...

Don't hold back...tell us how you really feel about alligators and crocs.

Your trees sound beautiful.

You and I should go shopping and try to muster up to a good 50% by next week...

Have a great day
Amy

Mocha with Linda said...

I thought you were going to say the evidence of being the Tin Man is you don't like MUSICALS! :-)

Great picture at the end.

Hugs to you my friend. Wish we could hang out together for a while.

The Bug said...

I was going to offer empathy or sympathy or something, but I got distracted by Kim's invitation to dinner. Can I come to your house Kim? That sounds really good!

I bought one more gift yesterday - that makes me 16.666666% done now.

Susanne said...

"I'm all about painting the barn". Oh you cracked me up with that line. I'll never look at applying makeup and whitener in the same way again.

Hugs to you. Heartbreak is a tough one to see out of. I don't know if anyone handles it "well". Hope it helps to know that we give you support and love you!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Give yourself more credit; you're not the Tin Man. :>)
I'm with you on some feel-good movies. I like to cry at the end.

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Glad I'm not the only delinquent Christmas shopper out there :) Maybe we'll see each other in the store on Christmas Eve :)

Lois Lane II said...

I 100% agree with Nos. 1 and 2.

Idea for No. 8: Probably because we have to see a dentist to fix/clean/etc. our teeth each year, but we don’t go to a plastic surgeon each year to figure out what needs to be lifted, tucked, or enhanced.

Melli said...

Linda, it is GOOD that you recognize your feelings -- and it's good that you share them too! There's not a thing wrong with feeling them. Heartbreak is hard and there's no getting around it. God and time are on your side though... it will get better. I've been there. I've certainly had times when I would have rather not been born. I've even had times when I was willing to take myself out of the equation. (that's when I got help!) But you will get through this... I'm praying for you too.

And welcome to my Zero Percent Club! We'll get that done too!

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Please don't hold back tell us how you really feel!

It's all about keeping it real. In my humble opinion that's what makes blogging special.

Dispense with the smoke and mirror and just say it like it is!

Blessings
R

Betty said...

I agree, shoes need to be stylish! :)
And after Christmas....we´ll be having a pity party, won´t we! :)

Barbara H. said...

You're not the only one without Christmas shopping done! I have a big project due this week but hope to dig into shopping next week. I don't have my Christmas decorating done, either. I just put fall decorations out Thanksgiving Day, but that's unusual for me.

I would like to whiten my teeth, but the neon whiteness that shines from a mile away is a little overdoing it to me. But painting the barn, yep, I'm all for it.

I didn't think of crocs and alligators, but I could live without them, too. I could live without the great majority of the animal kingdom except God has some kind of balance system in there with the functioning of the world.

I don't mind feel-good stories if they're natural and genuine. I don't like them when it looks like that is their main goal.

I like the good emotions too much to be without them, bad emotions notwithstanding. And the bad emotions God has used to draw me closer to Himself and teach me things I wouldn't have otherwise known I needed, so though I don't like them, I can understand He has a purpose for them. Afterward, anyway. During, it's pretty tough.

I don't think mine is so much holiday let-down as just that winter is a hard time for me -- darker, barren, colorless -- and after all the fun and celebration of Christmas, January seems all the more bleak. I really love Valentine's Day, though, so I just try to hand on til then and til the first blooms come in March.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Learning and enjoying as always.

I was surprised about Blind Side. I loved it and my no means did I cry. Not good cry or anything. It was feel-good but not crying-feel-good.

I pick pants first, have more tops. Black to me means, I need to look extra dressy or I need to look thinner. hehe

1/8 of a tree? Are you sure it's not 1/7?

I can relate to choosing not to be born...kind of like my times of wanting Jesus to hurry back.

I'm a fellow enjoyer of MJ music too. Man he can dance.

Good question on cosmetic surgery.

I have done zero shopping too.

We have several things in common on this one.

tilden talks... said...

christmas jut got to be too much for me. so i gave uop all the atuff that freaked me out. 1st to go was the tree, then i quit presents. its really much better this way!

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Trying to catch up on your blog since vacation. Sorry I've missed the last couple RD's. A couple quick answers - Dorothy (who wouldn't have got caught in that tornado if she'd have just been where she was supposed to be), jeans/pants, possums (ewww!), sometimes a little sad after Christmas when all the celebrating is over and I have to "undecorate", and my shopping is about 3/4 done. Want me to do yours?

Abiding Branch said...

Well at least you were honest about it. I kept telling myself I'll get into all this!! And I finally did. I'm excited now. I was dreading it all. ARG
But on the shoes I think that we could now add (thigh friendly!) With the FitFlops and now Reebok and their shoes that work-you-out. My daughter told me about them and I finally saw the ad and now I want some.
Shopping, ah, shopping. I think I feel so much further behind b/c I'm not doing 1/3 of what I usually do.
Let's make it all interesting and have a Merry Twistmas too...cuz my gut has been in knots and my cortisol levels are soaring! I can't even have a fluid thought must less write like I don't have ADHD. arg
Chel