Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Link Up & I'm Answering Today



1. Have you ever been so lost that you were really afraid?

I have trouble navigating the highway. Once I missed an exit and got so lost that I was sweating, praying and nearly crying. I had a baby in the back, and I was just sure we were going to end up in the Mojave Desert dehydrated to death. It was awful. I cannot tell you where I was going or how I got back; I have no memory of that. I just remember the sheer panic.

2. Have you ever been to an island?

I have been to Oahu and Anna Maria Island, FL. Loved Florida, Honolulu, not so much.

3. Are you more of a thinker or feeler?

Thinker. Very analytical.

4. Do you tend to see issues or situations in life as black and white or shades of gray?

Shades of gray, except for some things which I know are clearly biblically black/white. Usually, though, I am able to see both sides of any disagreement or issue.

5. If you were stuck on an island, what book would you hope to have with you (Let's pretend the Bible is already there, so you can't say that.)

An anthology containing classic literature and Dave Barry.

6. What are you most afraid of?

Having cancer. Losing my children.

7. Would you rather lose all of your old memories or never be able to make new ones?

I would give up the past to enjoy the present and future memories forever.

8. Pretend I'm looking at a scrapbook page about you. There are three spaces for you to drop in individual pictures. What are those pictures of, and why did you select them?

My church, because I both work and worship there (so many hours a week I am at church!) my computer, because I blog and FB (So many hours a week I am at the computer!) and me running, because I love it (so many ... minutes ... a week I am running!)

9. If you were re-doing your wedding, what would you do differently? (If you're single, tell me one thing you would do if you were planning a wedding OR huge party.)

It would be more intimate, more casual, more personalized. I was married in a Catholic church, and almost no decisions were personal. I had a book from which to choose awful organ music, for instance. I wore a great big poofy dress (1985--what else WOULD I wear??). I'd choose a more sophisticated dress now, completely personalize everything, maybe even do the beach thing, although it is cliche.

10. Tell me one thing you know/believe about forgiveness.

"Forgiveness is not about forgetting. It is about letting go of another person's throat." William P. Young (The Shack)

“Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.” Mark Twain

"...Forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who sin against us." Jesus


11. You're waiting in a doctor's office. What is your favorite way to pass that time?

Reading a magazine or blogging on the Netbook. Watching cute children play.

12. If there were a clone of you in a parallel universe what is one way you hope she/he would be the same as you and one way you hope she/he would be better?

I would hope that she still writes ... and writes better than I do. :)
I would hope she is also a believer and that she serves others better than I do.
I would hope that she has the ability to run like the wind!


35 comments:

Sarah said...

This is my first time with random dozen and really enjoyed it. Thanks

auburnchick said...

Loved your answers, Linda. I can't believe you liked Florida more than Hawaii!!

I totally agree with your wedding ideas. I'm sure you've seen the video on YouTube of the couple walking down the aisle to some dance they made up. Hysterical! I watched it with my daughter and told her that I don't care what she wants for her wedding, as long as God is the center of it.

Happy Wednesday to you!

Just Breathe said...

I loved your answers. I always like your answers. I will be back later to hook up and thank you for doing this each week. I really enjoy it.

bethelhome said...

Beautiful answers. I also wanted to say I'm sorry for the loss of your friend this week. Praying for comfort for her family and all her friends.

chris weigand said...

Too cool.

Teresa Dawn said...

Great questions this week :)

Jan said...

Interesting, I did mine when I first saw your questions, and I wasn't tempted to change anything, though I can see we have a different interpretation of island for example.
Thanks for the effort you put in here.
God Bless.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Love your wedding ideas, loved the forgiveness quote about letting go of the other person's throat...can't believe you didn't like Oahu....I liked the Hawaii better than Oahu...but I still liked Oahu.

Lauri said...

Enjoyed reading your answers. Hope I will get to visit others tonight, after kiddos are nestled in their beds.
Great questions this week. Really had me thinking.
Lauri

Maribeth said...

I've been playing a few weeks now, but never get here early enough to link up!

Another Suburban Mom said...

Love the answers. I am looking forward to seeing what others answered today.

Leelee said...

Hope this worked!! I am off to run at the park!!!

Joyce said...

These were really thought provoking questions this week. I liked them. I almost used the violet quote too... I love that one.

The memory question is interesting...I couldn't decide which way to go...there are memories to be made in the future but the past helped make us who we are. I'm on the fence on that one.

Betty said...

Is Florida an island? :)
I loved it there too!

Shannon said...

These questions were thought provoking!!! I liked them! :) Hope you'll stop by!

edshunnybunny said...

It was nice to have you do the answers along with us for a change. I always enjoy this meme, and I'm glad I stumbled on it. The participants are so great about leaving comments.
I am so sorry about the loss of your dear friend last week. Please accept my condolences. Kathy

Dena said...

Love your answers, and I really love the forgiveness messages...especially the first one. Great analogy.

Holly Solomon Barrett said...

Loved your answers - on a Wednesday even!

Melli said...

Ours was a blue jean wedding in the back yard... it WAS very personal and intimate... and STILL it didn't entirely reflect ME - because it also reflected him... and that is how it should be! But I think as we grow and change, we start to wish that things had been like we would like them to be NOW... but we weren't THEN who we ARE now... so it never would have been! (*whew* That's my philosophy for the day!) LOL!

The Bug said...

Dr. M & I wrote our vows (really the whole service) & would not change a thing about that. In fact, the only thing I'd change about my wedding was to take more food on my honeymoon LOL - we spent the first few days at the resort in NC where part of Dirty Dancing was filmed. It was mid December - there was no restaurant open in that tiny town when we got there Saturday night after the wedding - & finding breakfast the next day was a chore.

Brigid said...

I participated for the first time today. It was fun!

Cathy said...

Good questions and answers Linda. Thank you for doing this each week.

Catherine said...

Loved the quote from The Shack!

barbarah said...

I tend to get really upset when lost, too, though somehow I have always ended up getting back home.

An anthology would be a good choice for the book on the island -- a little taste of many things.

I didn't think of those particular fears, but they would rank high up there.

Amy said...

We have some similar answers, but yours are always straight and too the point...I ramble entirely too much.

Poofy wedding dresses are what defined 1985.

skoots1mom said...

baby in the back: drives the anxiety higher when they're in the car, for sure.

Honolulu: haven't made it to Hawaii yet.

Shades of gray: with ya

Having cancer: I know that feeling

beach weddings: nice

Netbook: I SO want one of these.

Mocha with Linda said...

I guess I might be more shades of gray than I knew. I can often see both sides of an issue. It's quite frustrating.

Great answers and questions!

Jewel said...

First, let me say again, Linda, how much I appreciate you doing the Random Dozen for all of us to enjoy! Thank you so much!!! ((HUGS))
Loved the quotes about forgiveness!
I like reading Dave Barry, too! He's just plain real, hm? :-)

The "Quiet" One... said...

That was funny. I felt bad laughing so hard about your being lost... It's only because my mind goes straight from missing a turn to perishing in the desert too! :D

Sweet Tea said...

I'm late.
I'm late.
But I made it - gotta join in on the Random Dozen!!

rwl10802 said...

She answered. She linked. She commented. (Hi.)

Susanne said...

If I were stuck on an island the book I would like to have is "How to get off an island". :v)

I'm more of the thinker type too. Sometimes I wish I wasn't.

SusanD said...

I was sure I posted a comment this morning....but I don't see my smiling mug here. Sorry. I always love doing this each week. Your questions are creative and thought provoking. Great forgiveness quotes. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Heather said...

This is my first time and I love these questions (and I love LOST). I will be sad to see it go because I can't figure out how they will wrap it all up in time.

takemetomaui said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and posted my first "Random Dozen". FUN!!!